Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Best way is to "suck" the fluid through with a big syringe. (know a doc or nurse) Use a piece of clear hose to slip over the bleed nipple and the end of the syringe.

You might need to grease the threads of the nipple to prevent air being pulled in during bleeding. Make sure the nipple is clear. There are bleed kits to do this but they work the same way.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
You can attach a hose (preferably clear) to the bleed screw that is long enough to reach the reservoir.
Open the bleed screw and pump the brake pedal until all of the bubbles are gone (maintaining a fluid level in the reservoir).
Close the bleed screw and pinch the tube off with needle nose pliers to minimize the mess.

Make doubly sure that you're using the exact fluid that is recommended for your bike. Do not use Dot 5 in a Dot 4 system!

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
You can attach a hose (preferably clear) to the bleed screw that is long enough to reach the reservoir.
Open the bleed screw and pump the brake pedal until all of the bubbles are gone (maintaining a fluid level in the reservoir).
Close the bleed screw and pinch the tube off with needle nose pliers to minimize the mess.

Make doubly sure that you're using the exact fluid that is recommended for your bike. Do not use Dot 5 in a Dot 4 system!
Ooh, interesting idea! But brake fluid is not ragingly expensive, so a chance to change it is quite handy...

Don't see why bleeding the rear is a big problem. Mind is an 07 AW with Brembos, maybe it is easier... Anyway, the obvious way is attach a clear hose, put the end in a jar, apply pressure to the lever, open the bleed valve so the lever sinks, and close before the lever reaches end of travel. At no point should the nipple be open without the brakes being pressurised. Ten minutes later, brakes bled, and fresh fluid in system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there a special way of bleeding the rear brake.
I spent an hour trying and nothing.
Tried extracting the brake fluid thru a hose connected to the bleeding screw. Nothing. Disconnected the actuator at the foot brake and tried again. Nothing. Maybe an obstruction? Anyone knows. Thanks in advance.

·
Tie One On
1,644 Posts
Tried sucking thru a hose connected to the bleeding screw. Nothing. Disconnected the actuator at the foot brake and suck straight from the hose. Nothing. Maybe an obstruction? Anyone knows. Thanks in advance.
Are you sucking with your mouth ?
Sorry, could not help myself. :D

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-b...kit-92474.html

Amazon
Amazon Amazon

I have nothing to worry about...Just alot to think about!

I know nothing...read your manual

TRASK TURBO

V-rod mechanics 101:
http://www.youtube.com/user/rscrod

Road Rub Rep

Is the word sucking gives you a lot to think about. Maybe sucking thoughts. Hmm! :dance:

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
If that vacuum brake bleeder works 1 time you will be lucky.Harbor Freight sells things that look like a real tool.
I have a Mighty Vac system that is 12 years old and still works.It uses the same check as a Ford 2 bbl carburetor for rebuilding.

·
Registered
220 Posts
If that vacuum brake bleeder works 1 time you will be lucky.Harbor Freight sells things that look like a real tool.
I have a Mighty Vac system that is 12 years old and still works.It uses the same check as a Ford 2 bbl carburetor for rebuilding.
So true, I had that use it once and it leaked.

I just do it like a car, have some one pump and hold, put a tube on the nipple and catch the extra in a drain pan. No spill.

·
That U in my mirror?
1,511 Posts
Ooh, interesting idea! But brake fluid is not ragingly expensive, so a chance to change it is quite handy...

Don't see why bleeding the rear is a big problem. Mind is an 07 AW with Brembos, maybe it is easier... Anyway, the obvious way is attach a clear hose, put the end in a jar, apply pressure to the lever, open the bleed valve so the lever sinks, and close before the lever reaches end of travel. At no point should the nipple be open without the brakes being pressurised. Ten minutes later, brakes bled, and fresh fluid in system.
Exactly what I do and works everytime.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts