Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· MORTUS DISCRIMINATUS
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I checked previous posts and cant find any post that details this problem. Hopefully someone might have an answer. I'm trying to flush and bleed the rear brakes on an 08 DX without ABS. I have the master cylinder open and exposed. I can see the fluid level. I can crack open the bleeder on the rear caliper with a vacuum pump attached (with about 25 pounds of vacuum) and no fluid will evac the line. Even if I depress the brake, no fluid will leak out of the bleeder screw. I've traced the line from the MC and it goes from rubber to metal line at the switch / pedal, and back to rubber prior to the caliper. Is there a progressive bleed from point to point that I'm supposed to do? Fronts were easy. The rear is frustrating.

· Premium Member
3,370 Posts
What work did you do to the rear brake system ? Anything in particular or was this just a regular Mx bleed ? So No progressive bleeding, if no repairs were done, so either the bleeder is not opening at all or your rear brake hose is breaking apart internally and plugging up the bleeder. Happened to my R model due to exhaust heat and guys letting the rear caliper hang when removing the rear wheel ( it cracks interior lining of the hose ). Totally remove the bleeder and see if you can pump fluid out of the caliper with the brake lever. Check bleeder for black rubber pieces plugging the hole. Rear brake hose will need replacement if pieces are coming off the inside. Best of luck with it - (y):cool:

· Registered
2005 VRSCB (no mods)
79 Posts
Hello everyone, I checked previous posts and cant find any post that details this problem. Hopefully someone might have an answer. I'm trying to flush and bleed the rear brakes on an 08 DX without ABS. I have the master cylinder open and exposed. I can see the fluid level. I can crack open the bleeder on the rear caliper with a vacuum pump attached (with about 25 pounds of vacuum) and no fluid will evac the line. Even if I depress the brake, no fluid will leak out of the bleeder screw. I've traced the line from the MC and it goes from rubber to metal line at the switch / pedal, and back to rubber prior to the caliper. Is there a progressive bleed from point to point that I'm supposed to do? Fronts were easy. The rear is frustrating.
Take off the last banjo bolt at the caliper and see if fluid comes out when pressing the brake which will prove that the brake lines are ok. If they are ok you have an issue in the caliper, if not, clogged brake line you got or broke MC, which you can test by removing the banjo bolt just under the MC and test again.

· Registered
596 Posts
Some FYI, when you see 25 or any number, when using a vacuum gauge. It isn't measured in PSI. It is measured in inches. As in 25 inches of vacuum. Speed bleeders makes brake bleeding a fairly easy one man job.

· Registered
1 Posts
If you are having trouble bleeding the rear brakes on your, it's most likely due to a damaged proportioning valve. This valve manages and directs brake fluid to the rear brakes. When this valve goes bad, there will be little to no brake fluid being sent to the rear brakes.

· Registered
2,429 Posts
If you are having trouble bleeding the rear brakes on your, it's most likely due to a damaged proportioning valve. This valve manages and directs brake fluid to the rear brakes. When this valve goes bad, there will be little to no brake fluid being sent to the rear brakes.
This is not a car and does not have any such valve. The rear and front brakes are not connected on a V Rod.

· VRSC est -03
3,745 Posts
Only newer models of Harley have a linked brake system:

Rider Safety Enhancements / Cornering Rider Safety Enhancements (formerly known as Reflex Defensive Rider System or RDRS) are a collection of technologies designed to match motorcycle performance to available traction during acceleration, deceleration and braking. The systems are designed to aid the rider in controlling the vehicle while accelerating and braking in a straight line or while in a turn(1). A rider may find the systems most helpful when riding in adverse road conditions and in urgent situations. The systems are electronic and utilize the latest chassis control, electronic brake control and powertrain technology. The enhancements below vary by model and may not be available in some markets. See your Owner’s Manual for information on your motorcycle’s vehicle control systems.
1 - If equipped with Cornering Rider Safety Enhancements

Electronically Linked Braking (ELB) applies braking effort to both wheels when the rider uses either the hand lever (front) or foot pedal (rear) brake control, which can help many riders achieve better braking performance.

• Helpful
Reactions: streetrodracer

· Premium Member
3,370 Posts
V Rods don't have the advanced linked braking system, so we're on our own - if you lock up a brake on a non anti-lock bike you might fall down, so you need to know how to brake properly. Had a friend of mine depending on anti - lock brakes on a new bike, he went back to a standard brake bike and was locking up brakes left & right - had to relearn braking skills the anti-locks made him lose. Gotta be careful when a situation takes away nany rider aides, as suddenly you gotta be a real skilled rider again ! :oops:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts