Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
LOS ANGELES
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you adjust the rear brake angle?
It seems like when I brake, my foot is almost flat to the floorboard before it stops.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,482 Posts
There is very little adjustment available. The only place is behind the radiator shroud. Some have added additional clevis pin holes in the rod that enters the mastercylinder.
How many miles on your brake pads? Also you might bleed/flush replace the fluid.

·
LOS ANGELES
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 15,000 miles on my rear brake pads. Maybe it's time to change it.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
If the brake pistons get dirty, they tend to stick and cause a low pedal

·
Premium Member
11,356 Posts
You need to replace the pads and flush the brake lines. You will be surprised how that lever will be in a normal position. Actually the pads may not need replacing, just a bleed to get the air out of the lines should help. Try that first.

·
LOS ANGELES
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I will try to clean and bleed this weekend.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I have 15,000 miles on my rear brake pads. Maybe it's time to change it.
20k on my brake pads and still have great lever response front and rear. If your fluid has never been changed then it's time.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
You need to pull the rear caliper and inspect everything first.Make sure the pin and the anti rattle spring is in good shape.Replace the pads if they are worn.Bleed the system.
Use Mothers wheel cleaner to keep the black soot cleaned off.All brake pads make this soot,some just less than other brands.

The brakes on Harley motorcycles suck,they always have.They have come some distance in the past 4 or 5 years,but they still leave a lot for desire.The brakes on Harley motorcycles are not like other vehicles in the sense that they continually need attention.The systems are so frail and cheaply made that they allow air to enter and the system needs to be bled appr every 6 weeks.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,482 Posts
20k on my brake pads and still have great lever response front and rear. If your fluid has never been changed then it's time.
Replaced all my brake and clutch fluids recently using my Neighbors Mity Max vaccuum bleeder and am amazed at how much better the lever feel is.
Previously I had only used a turkey baster to suck the fluid from the reservoirs and refill but the front always felt soft and would pump up with use but get soft again if it sat for a while.
After 6 years the stuff in the lines and calipers needed replaceing.
I'm very pleased with the result of having flushed and bled the systems completely.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts