Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 vrscb
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 vrscb. So I had some work done over the winter. Larger gas tank new tires and rear brakes. Pick it up tonight and the rear axle slips out of place (whirr, kerchunk,chunk,chunk). What went wrong? The mechanic said he bolted the rear axle down with about 120 pounds of pressure and then 150 and it still moved. Wants to drill and tap a set screw in to keep it in place? In my mind the roddie is precision and no modifications should be necessary to put things back the way they were. Help!

·
VRSC est -03
3,095 Posts
Dry off excessive grease between adjusters and swingarm.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,555 Posts
As a guess I would say that something isn't put together correctly. Unlike the front axle the rear isn't set up so that you first draw it up tight against the one leg then clamp the other on the shaft.
It should pull all the parts together as a unit snuggly within and including the swingarm.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
2005 vrscb. So I had some work done over the winter. Larger gas tank new tires and rear brakes. Pick it up tonight and the rear axle slips out of place (whirr, kerchunk,chunk,chunk). What went wrong? The mechanic said he bolted the rear axle down with about 120 pounds of pressure and then 150 and it still moved. Wants to drill and tap a set screw in to keep it in place? In my mind the roddie is precision and no modifications should be necessary to put things back the way they were. Help!
Something definitely wrong there be it assembly or technique. No mods should be needed. Cams , up against the swing arm should be free of grease as mentioned but even then it takes a lot to have them slip. Was any bearing work done in the wheel? The cam on the nut side must be kept up against the roll pin when nut is torqued or there will be a space that the axle could shift over to. Dry swing arm side of cam and a dab of oil or grease on the nut side helps keep it there. That area is really a piss poor design but as long as you are aware of this, it can be dealt with.
Ron

·
Registered
2005 vrscb
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It turned out to be extra lubricant. He rode it for six miles and it didn’t move. So hopefully I’m straight. Thanks for the input!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts