Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the easiest way (or only way) to put a rear axle cover on the right side of the bike, the one with the pipes? The left side was obviously easier, but the right one looks like more of a headache. Anyone have any ideas who's done it?

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
tymiller said:
What's the easiest way (or only way) to put a rear axle cover on the right side of the bike, the one with the pipes?
The bad news is, there is no way to do it without removing the slip-on mufflers.

There are several threads here in the forums relating the removing and replacing the mufflers, but the short advice is: After removing the fasteners holding them on, spray some WD-40 over the junction between the mufflers and the "secondary volume", allow it to penetrate, and then gradually work the mufflers free by wiggling them back and forth while applying a steady rearward pressure. Don't bash on them with a mallet, etc. Some folks find it easier to remove them one by one, rather than as a unit, but to do so, you will need to separate them by unbolting the fastener midway along the inside length of the muffler bodies. The mufflers are suprisingly heavy, so have a towel ready to lay them on.

When reinstalling the mufflers, you may want to clean up the mating parts with some emery cloth, and then smear some anti-seize paste on. This will make it easier the next time you work on them. One other piece of advice: make sure you scrupulously clean the mufflers of any fingerprints, grease marks, etc. before firing up the bike. If you leave oily residue on the pipes they will develop a permantent stain as the oil reacts with the heat.

·
V-Rod Addict
466 Posts
That sucks... I remember how much of a bitch it was to get the mufflers off and back on when I got mine Vmodded.

Maybe I'll just put the left side axle cover on. :)

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Motown_VROD after a few trips I now have the slip on mufflers down to about ten minutes on and off. Use a little anti-sieze on them at the flange, as time goes on almost everything to be done at the back requires they be removed.

Max

1 - 5 of 5 Posts