Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a dumb question, but I tried to take off my shocks yesterday and the back of the axle bolt was turning while I was using an allen wrench to loosen it and remove it. The rear axle bolt cover prevents me from using a pair of vise grips or channel locks to keep it from spinning. How do I prevent the back side of the bolt from spinning while trying to loosen it? :banghead:

·
Big Rooster
153 Posts
No such thing as dumb questions,just dumb answers! Is it the shock bolt your talkin about spinning?You don't need to take off the axle bolt to put the covers on just the shock bolt.Just make sure you have the bike supported or the suspension will drop.I did this and had to bust my ass holding the bike up!
You need an open wrench on the other end of the shock bolt,think it's 5/8 if I remember correctly.Remember use a bike jack so you take the weight off the bike. Good luck!

·
Another Ski season
2,631 Posts
19mm on the back of the shock bolt. it is a pita. and with those combinations (allen and regular bolt head) the allen is intended to hold it in place and you loosen with the 19mm open or combination. Sometimes easier said than done. Very easy to strip the allen head. You can dremel a small notch in the cover to make access a bit easier.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I realized that it was going to be a PITA. Not much room to work with with the rear axle nut covers. Just curious to see if there were any secrets of getting it off. Thank you...

·
Big Rooster
153 Posts
Yeah thats what I meant!!! A 5/8 that doubles as a 19mm open end!I'm an ass,I should know better.:spank:

·
Don't think, ride.
752 Posts
_06_Night_Rider said:
This may be a dumb question, but I tried to take off my shocks yesterday and the back of the axle bolt was turning while I was using an allen wrench to loosen it and remove it. The rear axle bolt cover prevents me from using a pair of vise grips or channel locks to keep it from spinning. How do I prevent the back side of the bolt from spinning while trying to loosen it? :banghead:
I have the same issue with mine but if you use the perfect amount of spacers and the right length bolt it will almost touch the brake caliper and will leave you with just enough of the nut to grab it with your open end 19mm wrench and torque it to spec with your torque wrench (I think 40 ft lbs if I am not mistaken). Now as for getting it off when there is no way to get in there and hold the nut, you might try wedging something in there in hopes it will catch on something enough to get it started.

·
reservation dogs
1,993 Posts
I thought the shock bolts were torq head. They are on my bikes. I do rerplace them with allen head bolts when ever I have them off. The allens are deeper and less likly to strip out than the torq.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
josephthreedogs ,on the 07's and 08's they are Torx-Plus,a different style than Torx.The older V-rods use the socket head bolts that require a hex allen.

I'm a little stumped on what bolt you guys are talking about.If it's the right lower shock bolt there's not much to it.The left one has a fixed nut on the stock belt gaurd and is also real easy.I took the nut off of the right lower and installed a threadsert on mine along w a shorter bolt,it cleans up the rear some. The top muffler has to be removed for this.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
reservation dogs
1,993 Posts
ElrodontheV-Rod said:
josephthreedogs ,on the 07's and 08's they are Torx-Plus,a different style than Torx.The older V-rods use the socket head bolts that require a hex allen.

My '05 and '06 models use torq on the shocks as did my wifes '04.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The nut on the back side of the shock spins when turning with an allen wrench on the front. The rear axle bolt cover limits one from using a closed end wrench to keep it from spinning and breaking it loose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts