Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all of those people that have changed over to the 28t or have had the rear wheel off.
I'm gonna be putting on my 28t soon and I just wanna make sure I have the tools ready.
What size is the axle nut?Should I use 2 wrenches or a wrench and socket?
I forgot my calipers at work,I was gonna measure it tonight.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
The axle is a 15/16, what I do is use a wrench on the axle and socket on the nut on the right side. That lets you hold the axle at the desired tension and then tighten with the torque wrench without changing your tension.

Max

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heck I thought it was metric.
Do both cams move at the same time?And to center the belt I would adjust either side to center it?The manual is vague.
Bikes are new to me,I've played with cars all my life,but never a bike.
Thanks Max

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Vinny the right hand side is a nut that does not move the axle but when you turn the left side the entire axle moves back as the cams turn on both sides at the same time. The left side is a solid cam on the axle and the right side is keyed with a flat shaft to move with the left side. When you take the nut loose it is pretty straight forward to see how it works.

Max

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I thought.Now say the belt is rubbing the left side of the pulley.Can I take a pc of brass to tap (never hit metal on metal) the rightside cam to get it more center?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Vinny I'm sure you could do that, you could fine tune either side with a shim of some sort under the cam.

Max

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks,Max
much appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts