Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow is it.

I'll officailly venture into that voo-doo area of engine managment adjustment.

This is quite a daunting step for me. I'm not a computer guy, and I'm not an EFI guy. So this will produce alot of anxiety.

I spent the last week fighing off a chest/head cold. So I took some time to get the WegoIID and Twinscan II+ installed in my bike (a good way for me to ease into this).

I've read the manual for it a couple times. I think I'm ready to go.

I'll be doing this experiment in a series of steps:

1. Adding the WegoIID and Twinscan 2+ unit to the bike and riding it with the laptop atached to record data.

2. Making any changes needed to the PCIII.

3. Removing the PCIII and re-mapping the ECM with the Race tuner.

4. Recording data on the Race Tuner map.

5. Making any changes needed to the Race Tuner Map.

6. Installing the 1350 'Kit.'

7. Installing Vinny's Map to the 1350.

8. Recording Data on the 1350.

9. Making Changes to the 1350 map.

I'm doing this in a stepwise fashion simply to gain familiarity with the TwinscanII +. My approach is to change one variable at a time, and understand what's involved in each step of this process.

I just hope I don't screw this up too badly. Wish me luck!

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
:dance:

Sounds like you have a plan set for this. I do not expect any problems with this for you. Best of luck.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One quick question:

Does anyone know if you can increase the buffer size for real time data sampling? The buffer is limited to the same limit on the computer as it is in the TwinScan memory, if I'm reading the manual right.

Thanks.
RJ

·
"A" model citizen
1,615 Posts
<<<<<< IS COMPUTER SLOW lol

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<<<<<<<So is STUPID!!

·
'04 1300
3,070 Posts
RJ: What pipes are you using, and where'd you put the bungs for the O2 sensors?

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
That's what I read in the manual as well. It looks like the only advantage of having the computer connected is to be able to rapidly save these data buffer files. I guess the tuning process is to ride for 3 minutes, stop and save the file then repeat. It's really rather stupid to not have a data streaming mode so data can be written directly to disk or at least have a routine that autopurges the data buffer into a file whenever it fills up. A simple routine that saves the data and increments a file name would allow you to ride for hours then combine the data once you were home.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mjw930 said:
That's what I read in the manual as well. It looks like the only advantage of having the computer connected is to be able to rapidly save these data buffer files. I guess the tuning process is to ride for 3 minutes, stop and save the file then repeat. It's really rather stupid to not have a data streaming mode so data can be written directly to disk or at least have a routine that autopurges the data buffer into a file whenever it fills up. A simple routine that saves the data and increments a file name would allow you to ride for hours then combine the data once you were home.
Couldn't someone smarter than me write a macro program to do this?
I mean, how hard could it really be?

Hey, Lonnie, Are you LISTENING!!??

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mark,

I think you greatly over estimate my computer abilities!!! Not to mention, I just spent the last hour trying to download info with the WEGO data log. Only to realize, WITH THE TWINSCAN2, THERE IS NO REASON TO USE A WEGO DATA LOG!!! :banghead:

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sburke91 said:
RJ: What pipes are you using, and where'd you put the bungs for the O2 sensors?
Right now, I'm running V-Modded Stockers. The headers are from MJW930 and the bungs were already in them. Thanks again Mark!

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mark, I downloaded the freeware macro maker in your second link. I'm not confident I can make it work, and if I just loose time, so be it.

I should have paid more attention in my gradeschool computer classes!!. :banghead:

I'm getting hung up on assigning a unique file name. I'm making the variable "filename" I am giving it a command to increase the variable by one "filename=filename+1" but I can't figure out how to make the program put the variable "filename" at the end of the name for the file.

For instance I have it to the point where it will open the save screen and enter the text "test" and save it. But when it runs again, it says "test" exists, would I like to replace it.

I'm SOOO CLOSE!!!

·
RhinoRD
121 Posts
Hey RJ,

Post or send me your code so far and I'll have a look to see what I can do.

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
:popcorn

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RhinoRD said:
Hey RJ,

Post or send me your code so far and I'll have a look to see what I can do.
Thanks John. It's not really CODE. From what I can tell, this MacroMaker is a translation program. You type in the stuff you want to do, and it writes the code for you.

Download the program from http://members.ij.net/anthonymathews/MacroMaker.htm
that mark posted earlier. I'll post a screenshot of what I have so far.

Thanks.

RJ

·
Paintless Rider
1,326 Posts
I'm hoping to be going the same route with the Twinscan II+, so it will be nice to see what you figure out. Of course I don't think anyone is going to give me their pre-welded headers. Forge ahead an clear the path for the rest of us.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update

I'm on step 4.

I decided to use the baseline map for the SE Slipfits as my starting map.

A couple reasons to do this:

1. They should be fairly close to the V-Modded Stockers, maybe a bit lean, but at least in the ball park.

2. There has been some discussion as to weather this map is "enough" for V-Modded stockers in the past. While I don't believe it, I can get some hard numbers to either confirm, or deny this forums myth. (my attempt at being a Mythbuster). It's better late than NEVER, right?

3. We can see how well I work this stuff, before changing all the variables with a new 1350 motor.

So, what I've found so far:

There is a significant stumble in this map at 4K RPM. I think this is the region where the difference between the SE Slipfits and V-Modded stockers is most felt. From the looks of things, the SE Slipfit map is pretty lean for these pipes in this range. AFR's are 15.5-16. So this needs to be addressed promptly.

I have been doing some pretty descent segment rides, and stopping to download the data to my laptop. The Buffer in the laptop is the same size as the buffer onboard, so Instead of being tehtered to the bike, I am just periodically stopping to download the logs and clear the buffer in the Twinscan II plus. A bit cumbersome, but with the cold fall riding, I don't mind so much.

More to come.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've come to the conclusion that the TwinscanII Plus is the best thing since sliced bread.

I made the changes to my map as I discussed above, loaded it into the ECM, and went for a COLD SHORT ride today. It's ALOT of fun. It pulls nice, no stumbling, no decel pop. (I think I'm going to miss my decel pop....;))

I need to look at the data from the latest ride, but so far, it is working beautifully........Man this puts a smile on my face.

RJ

·
Vrodder since 2004
4,514 Posts
:popcorn :notworth: :notworth:

YOU GO, BOY! Wow, this is cool!

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
Always good when something works out the way it was supposed to :thumb:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts