Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm posting this as an update to my earlier repair of the leak around my stator wire grommet. I originally repaired the leak with a couple of O-rings a while back. I wont go into the details because it failed :spank:
Update:
I took the stator cover back off to look at the situation. The grommet has several deep grooves in it. These grooves allowed enough play so that oil could eventually work its way around the o-rings and start leaking again.
I took the assembly to Nashville rubber and gasket and spoke to a fellow named "Charlie Brown" I know, but I swear its the truth. He worked for years for the 3M company. After he looked the situation over for a while. He said that the best fix would be to use 3M weather strip adhesive.:wazzup: He told me that it would be far better than any other type of RTV or silicon for this application. Soooooo I went to the auto parts and got some. You can get it in yellow or black. Even though they are packaged a little different he " C. Brown" assured me with the exception of a little graphite they are the same. I got back home and cleaned the hole and the grommet with naphtha, you can use a little accetone if you cant find the naphtha. I let that dry good and applied the 3M weatherstrip adhesive to all the surfaces of the grommet that would make contact with the cover and slid it through the hole. I cleaned of the excess that oozed out with a little more naphtha. Remember this stuff is an adhesive so it will start to get stickey so you should be prepared and work fast to get it cleaned of and looking nice. I let this set for 24 hrs before reinstalling the cover. There is no way anything is going to get through this stuff. It worked awesome and I highly recommend it. Chuck said its the best high heat oil proof gasket material you can buy. He said a lot of people don't like it because of the sticky aspect. This is THE way to go... I hope this helps someone only have to do it once. If you ever find yourself at Nashville rubber and Gasket. Tell Mr. Brown Thanks... He's the man....:notworth: The stealership wanted me to use some silicone..:banghead:

·
Registered
605 Posts
Elephant Snot? I thought it was Tiger Snot... Never would have thought it would work for an oil leak but glad its working for you. Learn something new every day!

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Elephant Snot? I thought it was Tiger Snot... Never would have thought it would work for an oil leak but glad its working for you. Learn something new every day!
3M Weather Strip Adhesive has been around for at least 30 years.It was originally used for holding weather strip seals in place until we figured it would hold gaskets in place and not create any problems of the gasket squashing out like when we used soap grease,or draw bridge grease.
I am not wishing bad luck on anyone,but 3M weather strip adhesive is not going to last sealing the grommet.It's gonna get hard and crack.But hey,if by chance it does,great!
A top notch silicone for engines is what should be used.There are different formulas for different areas of sealing when it comes to silicone glue that is used in place of a gasket.Me personally,I use the same silicone formula that the MoCo uses on the Revo where a premade gasket has been eliminated.I use GM engine sealant.

Attachments

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
i thought it was monkey snot. also i agree with al. it will get brittle after a few months or enough heat. i fired a guy for using that crap on valve covers. it gets hot and cracks then the leaks start and try and get that sh!t off after its set up. you dAMN near need a grinder and 6 inch grinding disc to get it off. i wouldn't recommend that stuff for anything. i quit using that stuff 25 years ago. far better products on the market now.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
i thought it was monkey snot. also i agree with al. it will get brittle after a few months or enough heat. i fired a guy for using that crap on valve covers. it gets hot and cracks then the leaks start and try and get that sh!t off after its set up. you dAMN near need a grinder and 6 inch grinding disc to get it off. i wouldn't recommend that stuff for anything. i quit using that stuff 25 years ago. far better products on the market now.
I still use it to keep hard to hold paper gaskets in place while assembling.A person just has to know where to use what.
A tube lasts me about 3 months.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts