Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
"What we are doing is made in USA, assembled in India, which will have a positive job effect back home which is why we are driving this investment as quickly as we are," Anoop Prakash managing director for Harley Davidson India told CNN.

Big line of BS and we all know it.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
"What we are doing is made in USA, assembled in India, which will have a positive job effect back home which is why we are driving this investment as quickly as we are," Anoop Prakash managing director for Harley Davidson India told CNN.

Big line of BS and we all know it.
In the big picture, I think you are correct. However, given that India is one of the biggest untapped bike markets it is a great opportunity for the MoCo. Sure, start with assembly of bikes. But, their goal should be full production of small to mid size bikes for the market. These bikes could then be used as entry level bikes in the U.S..

No, I'm not talking half engine, one cyclinder lugs (Buell blast). Maybe a V twin on par with a Suzuki SV650 would work. They could offer a cruiser and sportier model.

Other smaller bikes for the India market that won't be imported are needed to meet the local needs.

·
Registered
88 Posts
One of the main reasons for assembling the bikes in India is that by doing so they reduce the import duty from 110% to 60% hence reducing the price of the bike for customers.

And the reason they are announcing this now, is cause Obama is visiting New Delhi tomorrow...

J

·
Registered
962 Posts

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against other country's getting a piece of the pie, but to say its "Made in USA and assembled in India" is a load of BS. It will indeed be assembled in India but with parts from all over the world. It dishonest at best, political at heart.

I have a lot of friends from India so no dig towards them. They work hard and earn my respect.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
a big reason the harley briggade buy harleys is because they are made in usa..im sure this spells the slippery downhill demise of harleys sacred brand ..when these people start getting ribbed about their rides being now made in india they may switch alliance to italian or german or such.almost as bad as riding jappas.

·
Premium Member
10,800 Posts
I hope they sell a million of them in India! Funny, if my german car was made in Alabama, is it less of a german car? While living in Germany, most of the parts we had to fab were german parts. I doubt any Indian made Harleys will come back here. I have friends who are IIT grads, and believe me, Harley could use some of that brain power. I like to ride; I should imagine Indian folks want to, as well. If it knocks 50% off the price, great! Sell a million of them, Harley! Joe

·
Registered
362 Posts
Maybe we should get a factory over here as well. For the amount of our population compared to the harleys on the road here.... well it's truly amazing!

·
Registered
379 Posts
I hope they sell a million of them in India! Funny, if my german car was made in Alabama, is it less of a german car? While living in Germany, most of the parts we had to fab were german parts. I doubt any Indian made Harleys will come back here. I have friends who are IIT grads, and believe me, Harley could use some of that brain power. I like to ride; I should imagine Indian folks want to, as well. If it knocks 50% off the price, great! Sell a million of them, Harley! Joe
Ever spend anytime in Bad Toelz or Stuttgart area? Flint Kaserne Or Panzer Kaserne? Good times in Germany! Great riding over there.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Virtually the only thing Harley has going for it is exclusivity and they're doing everything they can to ruin that.

To the union guys in Milwaukee: This is what happens when you let yourselves be bullied into signing a horrible contract.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My point exactly... why are we sending our jobs over there... They are going to ship parts... so why not ship entire bike assembled and feed our economy....

·
Premium Member
533 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
My point exactly... why are we sending our jobs over there... They are going to ship parts... so why not ship entire bike assembled and feed our economy....
Clearly a lack of understanding of the global economic situation. Today the US is a economy which is struggling to keep afloat. Contrary to what the average american thinks, most of your "American Companies" are either owned by Chinese or Arab companies, through their large investments in private equity or hedge funds. So nothing is truly American or Indian.

Now as far as jobs are concerned, India along with China and Brazil is one of the largest growing economies, and people are spending money on buying goods and services... unlike the US. Hence it would be naive to ignore a thriving market like that. What Harley is doing is simply shipping 70% of the bike already built in the US along with some components to India and setting up a assembly plant there. The reason, so that the import duty of 110% on CBU (Completely build units) comes down to 60% on SKD (Semi Knockdown units). This in turn will brink the price of a Harley down.. for example a Nightrod will come down from US$45,000 to a more affordable US$30 to $35K. Even after the price of a Harley comes down, it will still be a lot more than what you guys pay there, and more than other motorcycles manufacturers, so still maintaining its exclusivity as someone mentioned earlier.

With cheaper bikes more people will buy the bikes, hence more semi build bikes will need to be shipped to India, leading to higher sales. And we know what that means for the harley workers and unions. Creation of jobs, job security for existing workers etc.

Guys the world is changing everyday and America needs to keep up with that change, specially when it's bleeding money. And trust me India is not your problem, CHINA is.

J

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Clearly Professor Jas has lack of understanding of how it suck, squeeze, bang and blow... You don't need assembly plant to build 30% of the bike... That can be done with basic tools at the stealership. But The Economist you are reading 110% of the time won't tell you that...

Lighten up skippie... Nothing against you or your country...

·
boredom kills
2,310 Posts
Jas - the real question is even with a switch to SKD taxed at 60%, can Harley get any real volume at those price points $30-35K for a Vrod, $20K(?) for a 883 Sportster - what are the average Indian salaries, will the people spend that kind of hard money on a motorcycle.

Do you think Harley should be developing a bike with a lower price point for the Indian market?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts