Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RE: Getting transferred to RI!!!!

Just found out today that I am getting transferred to Newport, RI next month.... From the looks of it I am going to be there for min of 24 months. I guess what I would like to know beside it's cold as hell up there is how long is the riding season? Is it even worth bringing my bikes up there....

Also, what's a good area to find a place to live? :D

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
7 days. That's the riding season.

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
April - October is the riding season (some days in March and Novemeber too). Newport is a small island and not much riding to do on it (though I go at least once a year to see the mansions and stuff (very cool architecture from the golden ages). I would say it is very worth bringing the bike up. The state is small and you can be in two other states in less than 30 minutes. Lots of stuff to do and things/history to see. I try to get together at least one v-rod ride a year with members from the forum. PM me when you get in if you need a tour guide or somewhere to store the bike for a little while until you find a place (I live 30 minutes from Newport in Coventry, RI). As for places to live I hear it is expensive to live in Newport but the bridge toll can add up pretty quick (I believe it is $4 each way now) on a daily basis. If you want to stay on the island then I would lean towards Middletown but if you don't mind driving a little then you can stay on the north side of the island on the mainland in Tiverton, Bristol, East Providence, Providence...etc and take the Mount Hope bridge (which is free) and probably save a considerable amount in rent.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow... Thanks BP

I didn't know the toll for the bridge was that high... I was looking into Kingstown area... Since it's not too far from work and it got decent rating for schools... I guess I might have to rethink that idea... Out of four places you mention how Would you rank them, taking in consideration of rent and school for little ones?
Put me down on your list if you are doing another group ride. Also, I have a couple of winter projects lined up, I might hit you on which shop you recommend... Thanks in advance...

·
Crash Bandacoot
1,431 Posts
cold as hell

Well I live in the next state over,CT..and right now its FN cold! 13 degrees in my yard. NO SNOW YET! I ride all year,but you guys from "the south" might think I'm bonkers :D

Seriously now,you can ride about 8 months here,and you'll find roads,hills,turns etc you'd never find in FLA.

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
Schools and family living then I would lean towards Tiverton and Bristol. North Kingston is an excellent choice too but then you have the bridge toll. I was right on the price of the toll each way but if you get the E-Z pass you can get a significant discount: http://www.ritba.org/nbtolls.html after reading this I would go with North Kingstown. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
As for shops to have work done at depending on what you are looking to do just drop me a PM because I do almost all my own work on my V-rods plus 6 others.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Clip,
Sucks to be you, movin' there, but at least you have a job, some guys don't. I was SO happy the day I left Ohio 3 years ago !!!!
We ride year 'round here in North Carolina, 2 hours to the beach, 2 hours to the mountains and the Blue Ridge Parkway, aaahhhhhh, what a state !!!

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Welcome to the north, Cliptic!
There are quite a few forum members in the area.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As for shops to have work done at depending on what you are looking to do just drop me a PM because I do almost all my own work on my V-rods plus 6 others.
No prob... same here... I do my own work... except paint and maybe a little bit of fiberglass work... I am like a five year old when it comes to those...

Clip,
Sucks to be you, movin' there, but at least you have a job, some guys don't. I was SO happy the day I left Ohio 3 years ago !!!!
We ride year 'round here in North Carolina, 2 hours to the beach, 2 hours to the mountains and the Blue Ridge Parkway, aaahhhhhh, what a state !!!
I hear you... that's why I am sucking it up for next 24 months....

Welcome to the north, Cliptic!
There are quite a few forum members in the area.
Thanks HoneyB... Hopefully we all can go for a ride when it get warmer...

Do yourself a favor, Find a New Career.
Lux... I asked myself that very question long time ago... but now that I am four years away from retirement, I have to suck it up and wait until after retirement to do what I want to do...:moped::moped::moped:

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
7 days. That's the riding season.
that made me :spit: my Harvard cocktail all over my Macbook...

IMHO I would not bother bringing the bikes until the Spring thaw

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Lux... I asked myself that very question long time ago... but now that I am four years away from retirement, I have to suck it up and wait until after retirement to do what I want to do...:moped::moped::moped:
Those BAstards!!! Trying to run you outta the Co with only a few months left to go by sending you to HELL to try and get out of giving you your Pensio!!!!

IMHO I would not bother bringing the bikes until the Spring thaw
I agree, these other mutherfockers telling you they ride all year long etc... is fine, they are used to shite weather and not unlike an abused child are forced to get used to it and take what they can get. You on the other hand Know what Real riding weather is and will not Assimilate in 24 months. You will soon find out Why people in most the country ride little and instead Park in various parking lots and stand next to their bikes all dolled up in their funny outfits and Talk about riding more.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree... Probably not a good idea to take my bike up there till spring time... I still have to find a place with garage so I can knock off winter projects... I am with you Lux... I spent last a decade and half riding in Ca and Fl... I am definitely in for a rude awakening... I guess i better go get those funny outfits if I am going to be standing in that same parking lot... Don't know doll up shite.... That ain't gonna cure my ugliness...

·
~*~VDRNLN JUNKIE~*~
667 Posts
Cold weather riding isn't that bad if you know how. ;) There're a lot of pretty (but COLD) days you can ride, like I said not that bad if your prepared.

Lux not everybody lives in the land of Fruits and Nuts! :D

And some people just love to ride so much they will do it anyway and any time they can. ;)

·
GIT UR DONE...later
990 Posts
The HORROR of November in NE

...IF the sun is out...

Heading home

It' not the ocean, but nice

On the road

On the road

On the road

Heading out for a ride

Attachments

·
boredom kills
2,324 Posts
20 years and a pension, count yourself lucky and just buy some electric cold weather gear.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Let's not forget the flakes, that go with those fruits and nuts!:D
Yes but we have the Right kind of Flakes, not the cold and wet ones that fall from the sky for 8 months. rotting everything we own:D

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
not the cold and wet ones that fall from the sky for 8 months.
We only get about 3 months here.:hidesbeh:

Just enough time to get things done, that we had been putting off!:D

1 - 20 of 60 Posts