Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
EVL-1
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have just owned my DX a week by now and I am REALLY happy with it.
There is just a strange rattling sound comping from "beneath" me somewhere when driving.
The sound is not there the whole time, but when moving etc.
Just like if I had a small rock in the radiator-intake, but I havent.

I have opened the airfilter-box and checked as well, since I thought it could originate from there.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
I DON,T KNOW WHY
257 Posts
my dx has a rattle sometimes ,I believe it is coming from inside my mufflers . when the bike is off i can hit the muffler with my hand and it rattles inside

·
EVL-1
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My "error" seems to appear when the bike is getting warmed up...but then again, I am not 100% sure about this.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I get the same noise brought the bike back now it makes another.I am at the point that the bike is under warranty i am going to ride it till it blows up then its there problem.The dealer likes to charge top prices with bottom end quality as far as fixing problems.

·
Registered
208 Posts
its the heatshield i replace the washers with thicker lock washers no more rattling

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
kurtos said:
Hi,
I have just owned my DX a week by now and I am REALLY happy with it.
There is just a strange rattling sound comping from "beneath" me somewhere when driving.
The sound is not there the whole time, but when moving etc.
Just like if I had a small rock in the radiator-intake, but I havent.

I have opened the airfilter-box and checked as well, since I thought it could originate from there.

Anyone have any ideas?
my air box cover rattled in certain RPM's from day one, Harley had it twice. I ended up modifying the quick release. Hold your hand on the cover next time you hear it, if it stops thats the problem. Of coarse Harley claims I was the only time they heard of this. Good Luck!

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
I too had a rattle and found it was the clip under the breather snorkel. Recliped it and it is now fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rattles

a lot of rattles come from the tag on the tag mount. i put 4 cotton balls between the tag and the plastic mount and it helped a lot. as for the rattle coming from around the radiator more than likely is the radiator cover trim.

·
EVL-1
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Been checking around a bit today and cannot find a solution on this rattling...
When looking down into the air-filter and the intake, there is a black plastic "tower" between the intakes, this is a bit "loose" in a way. I am not sure what this component does anyways?

Exhaust-covers = nope, radiator=nope, tag-mount=nope.

There is "something" just under me when riding, and the sound is mostly there when the bike is moving.

·
I'll Take Two Please
396 Posts
DEWMAN said:
my dx has a rattle sometimes ,I believe it is coming from inside my mufflers . when the bike is off i can hit the muffler with my hand and it rattles inside
I recently had to reinstall my stock pipes and noticed the exact same thing. I could hear it while riding and was scaring the crap out of me. I couldn't figure out what it was. It took me awhile to figure out that it was inside the cans.

·
Registered
2 Posts
check your drive belt gaurd behind your pass peg. mine has had a rattle from day one and i noticed that my belt gaurd almost has a hole in it. under low rpm loads it rattles the peg. maybe yours is the same thing if you havent had any luck finding it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a rattle over the weekend, turns out I lost my nuts...well - the nuts that hold the front exhaust flange on that is... oh - and I had just hit 2,000 miles

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts
I used to have two seperate rattles.

1. The dog's ass vs. rear fender. The fit was too tight on one side and they would rattle/vibrate over road bumps: I "bent" the left side of rear fender away from the dog's ass (maybe "tweak" is the correct term).

2. The airbox cover vs. the upper frame rails. The fit was marginal in areas and the airbox would rattle against the frame at lower RPM's: Again, I "tweaked" the airbox away from the frame and bent the rear quick-fastener underneath the seat so the airbox sits a hair higher at the rear. I also wrapped some velcro cable wraps around 4 points on the upper frame rail just in case. *This rattle caused rub marks on the frame.

I found both by lightly but crisply pounding my fist on the sheetmetal in several areas until I was able to narrow down the offending areas.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Nas3car said:
I too had a rattle and found it was the clip under the breather snorkel. Recliped it and it is now fine.
I agree. I never have a rattle but the last time I had my "top" off I didnt latch the front clip on purpose (I was in a rush) sure as $hit there is a rattle. It's a tricky little clip but worth clipping.

·
EVL-1
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah...finally!!!
I found the cause of my rattling sound. Its the small fairing/headlight setup that is slightly vibrating when the bike is idling...
Tried to tightening it, but with no luck yet. At least I know what its all about now :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Depending on how the fairing is adjusted, it's probably resting against the the mounting bracket, which runs down along the backside of the headlight bucket. You can loosen the mounting bolt/nut and readjust the whole assembly or put a small bumper pad in between the assembly and the mounting bracket.

·
Rickaroo
19 Posts
I had a rattling/buzing sound that seemed like it came from under me somewhere. Drove me nuts loking for it. Finally found it. When your right foot is resting on the foot peg look at your heel. The heat shields overlap slightly there. It will make a buzzing sound at around 3000 rpm's. People were saying make sure that they were tight, and they were, but they still touched in this area. I loosened the bolts and put a small square of heat resistant cloth underneath the top shield. You can't see it and it keeps them from touching. No more buzzing. Hope this helps someone.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts