Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
san francisco baby
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear a metallic rattling sound at 4000 RPM from the rear left drive area. Happens whether it's under load or not...when I'm riding at 4000 no matter what gear I hit it's like clockwork at 4K. If I'm in neutral, same thing. Any ideas?

VRSCA with 10K miles...just had her serviced at 7.5 and have had no worries or troubles.

Is maybe something loose and it's a harmonic frequency thing setting up a vibration? Just guessing here. I also have factory hard saddlebags, but everything seems to be tight. Also have chriome belt guards but got them that way at 0 miles, so nothing new.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
After a service check the front clip on the airbox.

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
I'd check the front clip as said above, check the belt guards, and check the heat sheild screws, and I'm sure somebody will give some others to check. I had a rattle back when I had my original exhaust and it ended up being the heat shield screws

·
Premium Member
Pan American Son of VROD :-)
1,090 Posts
:them: Mine was at 3500rpm on the button. Short heat shield screw was loose on the exhaust. It was very very consistent.

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
its your heat shield.........right between the first n 2nd piece. fix it and tell me how you did it. im thinking of a washer to space the shileds from hitting each other

·
san francisco baby
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, it's definitely not the heat shield, but thanks for the tip. I have chrome belt guards, which were installed when I bought the bike new. On the lower guard there is what seems to be a plastic piece on the side closest to the tire. it is loose, but I don't see any place where i can get to a screw or anything. The sound comes from the left side for sure...this seems to be it. The plastic piece is damn close to the tire and seems to protect the belt from hitting the tire. Any ideas?

·
Kiss the Ring
2,203 Posts
:them:
LiquidSilver said:
:them: Mine was at 3500rpm on the button. Short heat shield screw was loose on the exhaust. It was very very consistent.

·
san francisco baby
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Problem Fixed Thanks to San Ramon HD

Thanks for all the good ideas. I took it to the fine folks at San Ramon HD. On the lower Chrome belt guard there's a plastic shield protecting the belt from the tire. It's pop-riveted in place. One of the rivets broke off...there's VERY little clearance between tire and guard, so the tire likely banged it one too many times. Anyway, they drilled out both rivets and popped two back in and, amazing...no more rattling!

On another note, this was my FIRST positive dealership experience! They are laid back pros who took great care of me...got me right in and hooked me up. I even bought two new Metz from them, as I was on dunlop threads at 10K miles.:notworth:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts