1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Da get that fix'n

·
Kaboom
4,336 Posts
check the heat shield screws as well. They rattle when loose.

·
Registered
59 Posts
What RPM are you getting this noise at? Are you sure you're not trying to accelerate too hard in too high a gear and what you're hearing is the motor pinging? Anything under 3000 rpm with too great a throttle opening can cause this sort of rattling noise.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the rattle happens in any gear as you pass threw 3000 to 4500

definally a rattle not a ping. ive noticed latley doesnt matter what
rpm. you just have to excelerate

·
Registered
96 Posts
have this same problem, mine sounds like it's coming from the front fender tho. couldnt find anything wrong so i figured it was just thought it was the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
59 Posts
pads said:
the rattle happens in any gear as you pass threw 1800 to 2300,
definally a rattle not a ping.
Aaaaahhhh - but given the RPM range you're talking about, I'd still say it's the characteristic Revo rattle (aka ping) from trying to accelerate too hard in too high a gear. You're not riding an air-cooled Big Twin, you've got a high compression fuel injected DOHC motor that needs to rev. I'll bet that if you get into the habit of down-shifting earlier and keeping your revs above 3000 you won't hear any rattling any more.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
The belt hits the upper belt guard when under full throttle below 3500 rpom. Take the belt guard off if you want to test this. I used to get it all the time, but not since I replaced the stock upper with a breathless one.

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
krodwi said:
check the heat shield screws as well. They rattle when loose.
:them: I had a rattle back when I had my original pipes on and tightening the heat sheild screws fixed it :thumb:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a rattle as well, but mine sounds like it is coming from the left side at the rear wheel. Danii's explanation sounds like what mine is, either the belt hitting the cover or the cover hitting the pully.

·
Registered
302 Posts
:helpme: Mine had a rattle since day one. Upon accelation it seem to occur up around the radiator. could not find anything loose, but possiblibly the engine is up against the radiator shrould or something to do with the cooling fans assembly. Anyone have this same occurance.:helpme:

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Check your rear belt tension

·
Registered
156 Posts
pads said:
the rattle happens in any gear as you pass threw 1800 to 2300,
definally a rattle not a ping.
the only gear you should be in at that RPM range is 1st and only for a few seconds. try shifting at 4k at the soonest and see if that makes a difference.

·
Go IRISH!
727 Posts
I heard a rattle coming from the front on mine and turned out to be a few pebbles in the radiator shroud.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the same rattle on the left side. It seems to only happen when the motor is being lugged in 4th or 5th gear. I checked all heat shields, vacuumed out the radiator shroud and it continued to happen.

I had mine dyno'd at a local HD shop a few weeks ago and the techs confirmed my spark knock suspicions. They tune all of the bikes in my area and said they can tune the knock out of them.

·
Diesel Smoke Tester
862 Posts
Daniii knows his rattles too!!

Daniii said:
The belt hits the upper belt guard when under full throttle below 3500 rpom. Take the belt guard off if you want to test this. I used to get it all the time, but not since I replaced the stock upper with a breathless one.
:them:

This upper belt guard rattle baffled many of us "old timers" too for the first few months of riding. It will definitely go away if you remove the upper belt guard;
or........ if you raise it up a little bit on the front end support/mount. (about 1/2 inch will do it. Don't try to make a big thing out of this! It is not engine knock or pinging, or anything else .... trust us on this one!! And for gosh sakes; use the search feature to find the cause of these problems. There are almost four (4) years of accumulated knowledge in this forum from thousands of other owners who've gone before you.:2cents:

:soapbox:

good luck,

redrazor

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just had a similar rattle...it was my fault . i had taken off the faux gas tank cover and when I replaced it it pushed the rubber bushings out of place where the two front tabs go in to hold the tank down. Took it back off and paid closer attention to those rubber inserts and voila, Fixed now.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts