Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Could I pick your brains again please.

Just been for a ride today. While on the freeway about 50mph in 5th gear I gave the v-rod a full fist of throttle without changing down a gear. There seemed to be aloud rattle similar but not the same as pinking which went away after a few seconds.

I tried the same several times more and it kept doing it - if I had more speed or went down a gear it was not there - ANY IDEA ???
 

·
Riding the good life
Joined
·
4,908 Posts
icehawk said:
Hi Guys

Could I pick your brains again please.

Just been for a ride today. While on the freeway about 50mph in 5th gear I gave the v-rod a full fist of throttle without changing down a gear. There seemed to be aloud rattle similar but not the same as pinking which went away after a few seconds.

I tried the same several times more and it kept doing it - if I had more speed or went down a gear it was not there - ANY IDEA ???
IceHawk, In the rear hub is a cushion device that absorbs the torque when heavy throttle is applied. it sounds almost like a cracking sound if you hear it without other road noise around you.

The cushions absorb the torque so the belt won't. The sound comes from the left rear side of the bike.

Does your noise come from that area?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,343 Posts
The belt will do that at about 3k rpm. Mine used to, It stopped after a while. Don't know if it was belt tension or what, but definately belt slapping against guard.
 

·
Fireman/investigator
Joined
·
1,965 Posts
sounds like the kind of situation where you could get some pinging ie preignition. What other mods have you done to the bike? what kind of fuel are you using? Maybe the knock sensor is not working... have you checked for codes? I hope Rich is right, 'cuz then no worries. My cush drive made all sorts of noises for the first couple of hundred miles.
 

·
Diesel Smoke Tester
Joined
·
862 Posts
Could not stand the slapping!!

I'm about 95% sure it is your belt flapping against the lower, and maybe even the upper belt guard. No matter how I adjusted the belt tension on mine, the lower guard always got slapped when pulling strong from about 3,000rpm. Removing the guard did away with it for about 80% of the time. Then....I made a 1" extention bracket to raise up my top belt guard, and added about 1/4" (spacer) on the front mount near the tranny; and voula!....absolutely no more distracting, irritating, funny noises. Try it, you'll like it. good luck
redrazor
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,131 Posts
icehawk said:
Hi Guys

Could I pick your brains again please.

Just been for a ride today. While on the freeway about 50mph in 5th gear I gave the v-rod a full fist of throttle without changing down a gear. There seemed to be aloud rattle similar but not the same as pinking which went away after a few seconds.

I tried the same several times more and it kept doing it - if I had more speed or went down a gear it was not there - ANY IDEA ???
Sometimes you can here the fuel injectors pulse when you roll on the throttle in a high gear. Especially loud if you are running topless. If you say it sounds a little like pinging than thats what it was. The reason it didn't do it in a lower gear because you weren't straining the bike to get to speed. The moral of the story is don't bog the bike down ,rev it up more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys,
The noise did not seem to be coming from the rear of the bike, I read in the owners manual that when the ignition spark advances you can hear a sound like pinking but that is normal - do you think it could be that ? the noise was more of rattle then anything else. ? so the belt guard sugestion might be right
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
503 Posts
take it back to your dealer. i had the same problem and they tried to fix it about 4 or 5 times.they finaly sorted it by installing a new programme, i dont exactly know what it was but i will find out on thursday and post it then
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
885 Posts
VrodRick74 said:
Sometimes you can here the fuel injectors pulse when you roll on the throttle in a high gear. Especially loud if you are running topless. If you say it sounds a little like pinging than thats what it was. The reason it didn't do it in a lower gear because you weren't straining the bike to get to speed. The moral of the story is don't bog the bike down ,rev it up more.
Quite so, my owners manual states that the injectors make this sound which is very similar to pinging. My bike does it even louder now the airbox lid is off.
Not a problem. :thumb:
 

·
Yeah, but what if...
Joined
·
4,714 Posts
I bet it is the belt hitting the guard. I have the same thing sometimes. It sounds like it is coming from further forward, but it probably isn't. I posted on this and got a a heap of replies. This was the best explanation.
 

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
Joined
·
5,763 Posts
What african paul said :thumb:
 

·
spit happens
Joined
·
5,534 Posts
Your muffler bearings need to be lubed :mrgr:
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,738 Posts
Have had the same experience (3,000 RPM in 5th gear and roll on the throttle.). My Dealer says it is "pinging" or preignition. Both the Service Manager and the V-Rod Tech act real sure about it. I could have sworn it was something rattleing. Drop a gear or do it at any higher RPM and no problem.

Fred
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,131 Posts
V-Fred said:
Have had the same experience (3,000 RPM in 5th gear and roll on the throttle.). My Dealer says it is "pinging" or preignition. Both the Service Manager and the V-Rod Tech act real sure about it. I could have sworn it was something rattleing. Drop a gear or do it at any higher RPM and no problem.

Fred
Read my post from before, thats all it is
 

·
FASTESTSTKBLTDRV
Joined
·
1,267 Posts
icehawk said:
Thanks Guys,
The noise did not seem to be coming from the rear of the bike, I read in the owners manual that when the ignition spark advances you can hear a sound like pinking but that is normal - do you think it could be that ? the noise was more of rattle then anything else. ? so the belt guard sugestion might be right
THE MANUAL IS CORRECT,FREAKED ME OUT WHEN THE BIKE WAS STOCK,
OTTA HERE IT WITH A BIG BORE. :diablo:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,343 Posts
I'm still betting on the belt.
 

·
Gotis
Joined
·
162 Posts
try this!

lift the seat, locate the D-clip securing the airboxlid put a little thick tape around the "D" and your problem is solved, just the vibration that make this little sucker rattle and the airboxlid amplifies the sound, try shaking it and you will most probably recognize the sound, scared the shit out of me the first time I heard it.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top