Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Yeah, but what if...
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last time I went out I was hearing, from somewhere "DOWN THERE" around the engine or airbox, a loose metallic rattleing noise when I twisted the throttle in 5th. It was not every time, and usually occurred between 80 and 90 kilometres and hour when I grabbed some in 5th. It was not engine pinging or lugging I don't think. Any ideas?:confused:

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Check your belt tension. The power pulses in 5th in that speed range can cause the bottom of the belt to slap on the lower belt guard.

·
Yeah, but what if...
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK. I will check it today. Thanks!

·
Ironbutt
886 Posts
Karl, you are lugging the engine and the belt is hitting the belt guard. Check your belt tension but I believe it is fine. With a 9000 RPM red line, you are in 5th gear running at that speed you are lugging the engine. A simple fix would be just to down shift, 3rd would be good at that speed.

·
Yeah, but what if...
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
vrsc, you are probably right, and it is relatively low in the rpm for 5th at that speed, but the engine didn't feel like it was lugging, and isn't an 80k rollon one of the torque type performance tests they use in bike comparisons? Wonder if they rattle for Motorcyle cruiser journo's?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I run no belt gaurd at all and have not heard the noise since I removed them. :2cents

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
I took off my lower guard, and hear it occasionally, so its not only the lower one.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have heard that also. I thought it was the covers on my exhaust. Is this a problem? I have no idea what is making the noise.

·
Gotis
162 Posts
lift the seat, locate the D-clip securing the airboxlid put a little thick tape around the "D" and your problem is solved, just the vibration that make this little sucker rattle and the airboxlid amplifies the sound, try shaking it and you will most probably recognize the sound, scared the shit out of me the first time I heard it.

·
FASTESTSTKBLTDRV
1,267 Posts
THE ENGINE RATTLE IS TELLING YOU THE RPM ARE TO LOW WHEN
YOU ROLL ON IN FIFTH GEAR,HARLEY IS AWARE OF IT AND SAYS
IT'S NORMAL AND DOES NO DAMAGE.I PERSONALLY HAVE DONE IT
AND WAS CONCERNED,I CONTACTED THE FACTORY THEY ASSURED
ME THAT IT WASN'T HURTING IT. KEEP THE R'S UP OR DOWN SHIFT. :spank:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts