Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Ducking for cover!
Joined
·
8,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the idea from another forum. Anyone tried it to filter out the metal particulate?
 

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
Joined
·
5,763 Posts
Get em' at JEGS
 

·
Ducking for cover!
Joined
·
8,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Biker Bill said:
:eek:

You see the prices on those things?!

I'd rather rip open a bad hard drive then use the magnets from it.
 

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
Joined
·
5,763 Posts
TexasV-Rod said:
:eek:

You see the prices on those things?!

I'd rather rip open a bad hard drive then use the magnets from it.
Now there's an idea! I have a couple old drives in the basement...:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
506 Posts
hmmmm! Some car makers have been puting magnits(dont know the type)on the drain plug for years. might be a good idea
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
506 Posts
Ill have to go raid the stack of old computers in the atttic
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
506 Posts
I've never been in one of these motors before but wouldn't all the ware areas be steel to steel?
 

·
Dilligaf
Joined
·
5,393 Posts
I stay away from magnets now since an incident with my previous bike. I installed one of those redlight magnets (Which Never Worked) to a cross support on on the lower frame right up against the middle of the oil pan. One day while riding I hit a good sized bump and the magnet went tumbling behind me and almost got my friend on his bike, then about 3 miles down the road my bike started hammering and putting out a large cloud of white smoke, needless to say she blowed up. I told the story to a mechanic and he said it could have been caused by the magnet collecting metal shrapnel in the pan over time and when it fell off all the shrapnel it had collected went through the engine at one time and scarred the main rod bearings and the cylinders causing the damage. Luckily I shut it down and didn't ride it home or it would have been catastophic, but it still needed new bearings and rings and pistons and a bore job. But I guess a magnet on the filter would be different than one on or near the oil pan, hopefully if you lost one off of the filter the filter would catch all the collected metal.
 

·
1130cc Ninja
Joined
·
3,972 Posts
TexasV-Rod said:
:eek:

You see the prices on those things?!

I'd rather rip open a bad hard drive then use the magnets from it.
haha i have a few of those magnets stuck to the side of my file cabinet right now actually..LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
506 Posts
VenomousSVT said:
haha i have a few of those magnets stuck to the side of my file cabinet right now actually..LOL
The ones on my file cabinet are from the magnatrons out of microwaves!
 

·
Dark Knight
Joined
·
1,505 Posts
Just remember, 'the geek shall inherit the Earth.'

I get my magnets out of slurpee machines.:D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
If you've got steel or iron fragments in your oil that are big enough to be caught by a magnet - save your time and money, and start thinking about a major engine rebuild.

The metal particles that DO get through a decent oil filter are going to be way too small to be pulled out of the oil stream by a magnetic field.

The best prevention is to use decent quality oil and filter, and change them on a regular basis.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,735 Posts
Isn't that what the FILTER does? FILTER the crap out of the oil?
Bigger pieces get stuck to the drain plug magnet anyways.
 

·
Sanctimonious
Joined
·
44,118 Posts
Pondo said:
Isn't that what the FILTER does? FILTER the crap out of the oil?
Bigger pieces get stuck to the drain plug magnet anyways.
:them: This sounds like something that was to be done to Old motors, you remember the HD'S that needed to be Tore Down every 10k miles, if my bike is letting that much metal go there is something wrong. I think you Geek boys miss the old days of Push rods and Carbs so you could Fiddle your little hearts away with your friends on the weekends in your driveways drinking beer and being proud that you can use a wrench, Me I want the focking thing to work with little to no interferance from me.
Go buy a Shovel or Knuckle on your way to the magnet store.
I think the name Rare Earth is fitting as the 1960's -70's band brings memories of a time when things that leaked oil on dealership floors. ( well American Companies floors)
 

·
Dilligaf
Joined
·
5,393 Posts
luckyJack said:
If you've got steel or iron fragments in your oil that are big enough to be caught by a magnet - save your time and money, and start thinking about a major engine rebuild.

The metal particles that DO get through a decent oil filter are going to be way too small to be pulled out of the oil stream by a magnetic field.

The best prevention is to use decent quality oil and filter, and change them on a regular basis.
+1:them:
 

·
1130cc Ninja
Joined
·
3,972 Posts
Imdubious said:
The ones on my file cabinet are from the magnatrons out of microwaves!
now thats a magnet to have in your office!!!!
 

·
Ducking for cover!
Joined
·
8,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top