Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the UE 5+gal tank swap, put in 2.5 gallons to test it with and the bike was running good and fine.
I forgot to fill up before I left work today, so I ran out of gas on I-90 west.. which was fine, I got over to the side and called roadside assistance.

They brought 2 gallons of premium unleaded and it started up fine.
It went about 300 meters, then it got loud and sounded off...:banghead:

I was able to make it to the ferry and get accross the water, it was still bad after the ferry. It's really loud and sounds verry off... if I let it idle at a stop sign, it either goes out or idles slow and weird... and sometimes the engine light comes on. If I keep the revs up around 2k.. no engine light. when in 2nd or 3rd gear... you get some power.. but not much up to about 1/4 throttle... you can do the throttle all the way, but you get no more power... like there is no compression or something.

Is there some magic button you hit if you run out of gas before you run correctly again? I tried pulling the master fuse for 10 sec and putting it back in... that doesn't fix it.

Has anyone had this happen before, or does anyone have any ideas? }:)

Thanks, and GOD Bless!

-Gumbysbuff

·
Frank
4,316 Posts
Yeah, these pumps hate being run without fuel.

If it does turn out to be your pump, I have a couple low mileage ones that I removed when I upgraded to larger ones for Big Bore projects. Just PM me if you need one.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
I think you were sold some bad gas. I don't know how long you left the pump running after running out, but if you got it shut down fairly quickly I'd be surprised if the pump is bad. I've run out, coasted to a stop, then shut things down (twice), with no damage to the pump. Get rid of that gas and refill it. And remember, your lines will still be full of that crap unless you bleed them.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
What was the code? That would be the starting point if there is nothing else obvious. I would also check the fuel pressure and make sure the pump is still good. The fuel in the tanks also cools the pump and consistently running the bike low, especially in warmer climates tends to shorten the life of the pump.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rear injector is toast...

it looks like the resr injector is dead.
there are none in this state.. does someone have a stock rear injector i can buy from them and pick up in the puget sound or king county area, or have you ship it overnight? please let me know if anyone has one. I'm bringing it up to rich's in the morning to get my seat made.

the code was p0264 - the reason it sounded bad was because it was running on one cylinder.

thanks in advance, and GOD Bless!

-gumbysbuff

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
Is it dead or just clogged with gunk? You can save yourself a bit of coin by just trying to clean it up first.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it dead or just clogged with gunk? You can save yourself a bit of coin by just trying to clean it up first.
it itsn't clogged... there is no electrical activity in the injector, but the wires to the injector are fine.. the thing is fried.
good suggestion though (tried that right when i found out it was bad). I even had the dealership break out a new injector for the newer vrods they had in stock.. the connector is all wrong.

*sighs*

had to get it trailered to rich's... I'm trying to get it ready for the hog rally next week.

yeah umm.. for future reference.. please don't let your bike run out of gas... it reeeaalllyy doen't like it.

lol

*smacks head*

-gumbysbuff

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
PWM solenoids like an injector are worth millions upon millions of cycles.They rarely fail unless something else has taken it out.
If your injector has failed electronically,I would suggest to make sure the motorcycle didn't cause it to fail.If you use one of the cheap piggy back tuners,I'd suspect that as the cause before I would say the injector simply failed on it's own.

Check w some of the guys over in the high Performance section and see if someone might have a used injector laying around you could get a hold of.
Have a dealer run the part # on locater to find a stocking dealer in the states.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts