Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will try to keep this as short as possible...

Last fall I was looking at getting myself one of Frankilns Wicked air boxes. He recommended I go with Ramsey Custom Paint for the finishing. I searched on here and found lots of people had great things to say about him so I went ahead and contacted him. I told him what I wanted... he gave me a price, including shipping... everything started out great. I sent both Frankiln and Ramsey their money through Paypal, on Dec 5 and eagerly awaited my new cover. Frankiln got the air box done and shipped it direct to Ramsey. He also apologized to me for taking a little longer than it should have... It only took him a week... I didn't see a problem... Ramsey had it in his hands a few days later... about the middle on Dec.... ..... .......

A month and a half later, at the end of Jan. it was finally done and on it's way. I couldn't wait to see it... felt like a kid again... I received it a Feb 6 and opened the box with a big smile.... then my face dropped. It looked like crap... there was a spot where the paint was pealing off and the lettering was all messed up. I was not happy. So I took some pictures and e-mailed Ramsey right away. He got back to me the next day and apologized and said to send it back and he would fix it. I thought to myself... ok not a big deal, still a couple months before the snow melts and I can ride anyway... So the next day, Feb 8 it was on it's way back to Ramsey.

Now I am a machinist not a painter and I don't really know anything about painting, but I do know that anytime anything comes back to our shop for rework or warranty it gets bumped to the front of the line to get done as quick as possible.

TWO MONTHS LATER I am finally told it is ready to ship back to me. By this time the snow is gone and I have had the bike out a couple times already. So at the end of April I receive my air box cover. I check it out this time and it is much better than the first attempt... but it is still not great. I figure what the hell... I don't want to wait another two and a half months, with shipping time, to get it back so I decide to live with it as is.

The last thing to deal with is the extra shipping costs. Our original deal included shipping, but even if it didn't the extra shipping for warranty work should be covered. I sent him my total extra costs for shipping. He told me he would get it out to me that week.

It is now almost the end of May... I have heard nothing from him since. I have sent him multiple e-mails, including my last one in which I told him I would be writing this review if I did not hear from him.... still no response... and so here is my review of the service I received from Ramsey Custom Paints.

A job that should have only taken a few weeks has now been going on for almost six months... the finished product is not very good... the service is terrible... and the lack of payment or response to my e-mails indicates that he is unwilling to cover shipping costs for warranty work, even though he originally indicated that he would. I would highly suggest anyone considering using Ramsey Custom Paint should look elsewhere for their painting needs.

:soapbox:

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
wow that really sucks i would not have been a happy camper either and i agree your airbox should have been jumped on as soon as it came back in for the rework.

·
F*@kTard
7,946 Posts
Posting pics of what you consider not great work would help to back up your claims. I have no opinion either way as I have never used Ramsey - I do my own inferior painting :) but before this thread turns into a huge back-and-forth posting with no evidence to support or refute claims, pics would validate what you are saying. I hope everything works out in the end regardless.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Post up some pics man. Sorry to hear about your experience, I share in your frustrations. Nothing is worse than shipping stuff back and forth, especially for us in Canada, where we get ass raped on costs...somehow those little magical mail trucks consume magical gas that just costs so much more than the US ones do...hmmmm

·
MODOHOLIC ANONYMOUS
7,448 Posts
i'd like to see pics too.. and maybe a rebuttal:box2:popcorn

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I havn't had a custom problem in many years,but I know how you feel about your own stuff that you wait like a little kid at xmas for that special gift.
I too always address my come backs with speed,and I hold true to any thing I've promised to sweeten up the deal.I hate having a problem and I hate to think that someone might be out and around talking bad about me and my talent.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really didn't want to do this... I think I was more than patient and gave Ramsey every possible chance to make this right, but since he has stopped responding to my e-mails I don't think I have any choice. Here are some pics.

These are from when received it the first time. The lettering is all messed up and there was a spot under the "C" in motorcycles where the paint was pealing/flaking off.

Here are pics of the rework... much better than the first time but still not great... the stripes are crooked, they are off about 1/4" to the left, if you look at the knob in the center of the instrument cluster it is pretty obvious. The radius on the ends of the stripes do not match, and the lettering is still not great. You can see where the stencil ended and then the paint bled through. The "L" is the worst. At a quick glance it looks pretty good but up close... not so much...

Maybe I am being overly critical... but when I pay someone to do a job I expect it done right... My biggest problem is that he has stopped replying to my e-mails and has not payed for the extra shipping costs to redo his less than satisfactory work. If he had paid the extra shipping costs I would not have started this thread.

·
brett
9,338 Posts
oh that is not good at all,sorry to see this ,,hope ramsey will chime in here to put his side foward, cos looking at that he needs to

·
Registered
246 Posts
That is the worst work I have ever seen...both attempts...on the first attempt was the eye attached to the nose? It does make me feel better about the job I did painting my Webco when I was 9......sorry to see that...

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
for that paint job, i would take him to court, it looks like total crap, before, and after.
sorry for you, it sucks when your good money gets you a kindergarden paint job.

·
MODOHOLIC ANONYMOUS
7,448 Posts
yeah, this ain't good.. i would try to settle it personally first, maybe with a phone call and explain why you are upset.. then proceed if nothing can be worked out..

·
Summer is here!
2,311 Posts
That is very strange! I did the same exact process with no time delays and good results! I wonder why the big change? I would think it is not even the same person doing the work! Or he has gone blind or something.....

this is mine....not a great pic, but I was very pleased with the work

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
wow bro that is worse then i thought it was going to be. damn looks like decals were put on it not that it was painted... i am so glad he decided ti turn my job down and i went with someone else.

i cant even imagine sending something out the door that looked like that.

i have an awesome painter in NC if anyone needs one i have picks of my air box that he did.... he sent pics thru each step to make sure i was happy with it before he proceeded took about a month but well worth the wait.

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
yeah, this ain't good.. i would try to settle it personally first, maybe with a phone call and explain why you are upset.. then proceed if nothing can be worked out..

with those pics what would need to be explained?

·
INCONCEIVABLE!
1,529 Posts
The second paint job is as bad as the first IMO ... the whole point of custom paint is to be able to show it off. While the quality (if you can call it that) of the 2nd job is somewhat better than the 1st, I wouldn't be happy with that job on my bike

That is disgraceful and I can't imagine anyone on this board would ever give that business another cent

·
Brick in the wall
1,125 Posts
Maybe Franklin has some juice with this guy...
No WAY would I accept that paint job.
Its bullshit he is not communicating with you. I know how that feels as Im waiting on a certain item since march 17th from a certain vendor who has stopped communicating on here but thats for another thread...:banghead:

1 - 20 of 141 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.