Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Rainsuits -- Any Recommendations?

2K views 34 replies 28 participants last post by  mikeynkay 
#1 ·
I'm looking to buy a decent "packable" rainsuit, and the options run the gammut from plastic pullovers in a pouch for $5 to full-blown astronaut suits at NASA-level prices. I'm looking for recommendations from those who have actually put these things to use -- what features to look for, etc.

What do you suggest?

#2 ·
Check out Frogg Toggs. They are very reasonably priced and work perfectly. They are breathable, which many of the more expensive suits are not. They fold into a very compact pouch and are easy to pack. The only thing you have worry about is burning them on the pipes. I used them when I went to MWT and then kept me bone dry.

RJ suggested getting a pair of the Harley gators to cover the leg portion which would then solve the issue with possibly buringing them on the pipes.

Check out this thread too.

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70873

#3 ·
I rode 3 days in the rain coming back from KC, the cheap ($25.00) Walmart suit stuck to my exhaust and the zippers blew out..

You want to talk about wet.. :banghead:

I stopped in Huntington WV and got a 2 piece HD rain suit which made the rest of the ride great.

Buy a good one from the get go and be done with it... :2cents: :deal:

#5 ·
V Rod 53 said:
Check out Frogg Toggs. They are very reasonably priced and work perfectly. They are breathable, which many of the more expensive suits are not. They fold into a very compact pouch and are easy to pack. The only thing you have worry about is burning them on the pipes. I used them when I went to MWT and then kept me bone dry.

RJ suggested getting a pair of the Harley gators to cover the leg portion which would then solve the issue with possibly buringing them on the pipes.

Check out this thread too.

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70873
:them:

#6 ·
Frogg Toggs, WITHOUT a single doubt. They will burn on the hot pipes though, so protect them or buy a second set of pants. I still have my original jacket from 1999!

#8 ·
ndtiger said:
I have the packable rain suit from Harley and I have used it in the rain. It kept me dry and there is a pad on the legs that keep it from burning on the exhuast.

I would buy it again.
+1

#9 ·
I would suggest seperate pants and jacket. Several reasons...

The chicken dance that you do trying to get into a jumsuit is not cool. My one-piece was OK except the water would collect in my lap and run in the zipper and somehow go straight to my nuts.

2 Piece you can overlap and that won't happen.

Also, in a light rain you can go with just the jacket and not have the whole don't burn the pants on the pipe routine.

If you have a ****tex jacket and get caught off guard you can just pull on the pants.

Last - when you get to your rally and the rain continues...rain jackets are light and can bu worn over a t-shirt and you don't need an umbrealla!

I could continue...I don't like the jumpsuit.

Here in Germany it rains all the time so I just always wear the textile pants and jacket. Good for all weather and you don't need to pack anything. If it rains, it rains...who cares? Just keep riding.

#11 ·
Yarvis said:
Frogg Toggs, WITHOUT a single doubt. They will burn on the hot pipes though, so protect them or buy a second set of pants. I still have my original jacket from 1999!
How did that suit work the other day at the BBQ? I think that could be considered a decent test for any rain suit :D

#13 ·
:notworth: HD Canal Street rain suite, would buy one again, here in Japan the rainy season sucked but kept me dry everyday to and from work, 40 mins in the rain one way and no leaks. I love it, plus packable, very small pack for an extra large. Only legs are just an inch to short for a 6'1" 210 guy.

#15 ·
I'm a sailor so I carry a Douglas Gill one-piece dinghy racing suit in my bag along with synthetic sailing gloves which work great when wet.
Unfortunately they no longer offer the suit. It is similar to this one offered at
www.chesswoodmarine.co.uk
listed as a "spray suit" for L32.95

Attachments

#16 ·
MurphysLaw said:
How did that suit work the other day at the BBQ? I think that could be considered a decent test for any rain suit :D

Brian:
It worked great, once I put it on when we stopped the first time remember? I also had it on when we were under the shelter of the Exxon gas place. I would have kept probably 90% drier if I would have had time to put on the pants.

#18 ·
baldharleydude said:
I'm looking to buy a decent "packable" rainsuit, and the options run the gammut from plastic pullovers in a pouch for $5 to full-blown astronaut suits at NASA-level prices. I'm looking for recommendations from those who have actually put these things to use -- what features to look for, etc.

What do you suggest?

I would suggest you get 1 that keeps you Dry !:hidesbeh: :D

#19 ·
VrodG said:
I rode 3 days in the rain coming back from KC, the cheap ($25.00) Walmart suit stuck to my exhaust and the zippers blew out..

You want to talk about wet.. :banghead:

I stopped in Huntington WV and got a 2 piece HD rain suit which made the rest of the ride great.

Buy a good one from the get go and be done with it... :2cents: :deal:

Hey, you were 15 minutes from my house then!! And I had to ride all the way to NC and eat at the pancake house to meet ya LOL
Im glad Charlies (or Benjies, depending on when it was you stopped) could accomodate you and your wetness.

#21 ·
I use FroggToggs in the everglades! Never get wet! I pack them in a "space bag" which makes them real small, and I use a "pants clip" which you can buy at most bicycle stores to keep them off the pipes

#23 ·
Several guys I know swear by Frogg Toggs. One even cut out a piece of a Ironing board cover and spray glued it to the inside of the right pant leg to prevent problems with exhaust melting them. Works for him but he is an Air Head.

#24 ·
I was looking at the Toggs website and there's like 20 different choices... elite, classic, ribbed, signature, bibs, parkas... WTF?

I have a pair of their pants (worn once), in a very pretty orange. The shop that sold them to me also included a heat-resistant leg wrap with velcro for the pipe side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.