Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a decent "packable" rainsuit, and the options run the gammut from plastic pullovers in a pouch for $5 to full-blown astronaut suits at NASA-level prices. I'm looking for recommendations from those who have actually put these things to use -- what features to look for, etc.

What do you suggest?

·
Dustin
696 Posts
Check out Frogg Toggs. They are very reasonably priced and work perfectly. They are breathable, which many of the more expensive suits are not. They fold into a very compact pouch and are easy to pack. The only thing you have worry about is burning them on the pipes. I used them when I went to MWT and then kept me bone dry.

RJ suggested getting a pair of the Harley gators to cover the leg portion which would then solve the issue with possibly buringing them on the pipes.

Check out this thread too.

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70873

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
I rode 3 days in the rain coming back from KC, the cheap ($25.00) Walmart suit stuck to my exhaust and the zippers blew out..

You want to talk about wet.. :banghead:

I stopped in Huntington WV and got a 2 piece HD rain suit which made the rest of the ride great.

Buy a good one from the get go and be done with it... :2cents: :deal:

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
V Rod 53 said:
Check out Frogg Toggs. They are very reasonably priced and work perfectly. They are breathable, which many of the more expensive suits are not. They fold into a very compact pouch and are easy to pack. The only thing you have worry about is burning them on the pipes. I used them when I went to MWT and then kept me bone dry.

RJ suggested getting a pair of the Harley gators to cover the leg portion which would then solve the issue with possibly buringing them on the pipes.

Check out this thread too.

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70873
:them:

·
Official bike nut
1,099 Posts
Frogg Toggs, WITHOUT a single doubt. They will burn on the hot pipes though, so protect them or buy a second set of pants. I still have my original jacket from 1999!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I have the packable rain suit from Harley and I have used it in the rain. It kept me dry and there is a pad on the legs that keep it from burning on the exhuast.

I would buy it again.

·
LOS ANGELES
1,757 Posts
ndtiger said:
I have the packable rain suit from Harley and I have used it in the rain. It kept me dry and there is a pad on the legs that keep it from burning on the exhuast.

I would buy it again.
+1

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
I would suggest seperate pants and jacket. Several reasons...

The chicken dance that you do trying to get into a jumsuit is not cool. My one-piece was OK except the water would collect in my lap and run in the zipper and somehow go straight to my nuts.

2 Piece you can overlap and that won't happen.

Also, in a light rain you can go with just the jacket and not have the whole don't burn the pants on the pipe routine.

If you have a ****tex jacket and get caught off guard you can just pull on the pants.

Last - when you get to your rally and the rain continues...rain jackets are light and can bu worn over a t-shirt and you don't need an umbrealla!

I could continue...I don't like the jumpsuit.

Here in Germany it rains all the time so I just always wear the textile pants and jacket. Good for all weather and you don't need to pack anything. If it rains, it rains...who cares? Just keep riding.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Yarvis said:
Frogg Toggs, WITHOUT a single doubt. They will burn on the hot pipes though, so protect them or buy a second set of pants. I still have my original jacket from 1999!
How did that suit work the other day at the BBQ? I think that could be considered a decent test for any rain suit :D

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
:notworth: HD Canal Street rain suite, would buy one again, here in Japan the rainy season sucked but kept me dry everyday to and from work, 40 mins in the rain one way and no leaks. I love it, plus packable, very small pack for an extra large. Only legs are just an inch to short for a 6'1" 210 guy.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Frog Toggs. Lightwieght, packable and they work. They will burn against the pipe so tape that section to keep them tight to your leg.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,460 Posts
I'm a sailor so I carry a Douglas Gill one-piece dinghy racing suit in my bag along with synthetic sailing gloves which work great when wet.
Unfortunately they no longer offer the suit. It is similar to this one offered at
www.chesswoodmarine.co.uk
listed as a "spray suit" for L32.95

Attachments

·
Official bike nut
1,099 Posts
MurphysLaw said:
How did that suit work the other day at the BBQ? I think that could be considered a decent test for any rain suit :D

Brian:
It worked great, once I put it on when we stopped the first time remember? I also had it on when we were under the shelter of the Exxon gas place. I would have kept probably 90% drier if I would have had time to put on the pants.

·
Genesis1130cc
1,824 Posts
I'm going to recommend one for myself if all this soggy :moon: rain doesn't get off the coast! I can't complain here in because in SC we've been able to ride a bunch. Sure have been paying for it lately!

·
Member #415
1,712 Posts
baldharleydude said:
I'm looking to buy a decent "packable" rainsuit, and the options run the gammut from plastic pullovers in a pouch for $5 to full-blown astronaut suits at NASA-level prices. I'm looking for recommendations from those who have actually put these things to use -- what features to look for, etc.

What do you suggest?

I would suggest you get 1 that keeps you Dry !:hidesbeh: :D

·
Jeff/Modistrator
6,136 Posts
VrodG said:
I rode 3 days in the rain coming back from KC, the cheap ($25.00) Walmart suit stuck to my exhaust and the zippers blew out..

You want to talk about wet.. :banghead:

I stopped in Huntington WV and got a 2 piece HD rain suit which made the rest of the ride great.

Buy a good one from the get go and be done with it... :2cents: :deal:

Hey, you were 15 minutes from my house then!! And I had to ride all the way to NC and eat at the pancake house to meet ya LOL
Im glad Charlies (or Benjies, depending on when it was you stopped) could accomodate you and your wetness.

·
Have Gun Will Travel
1,008 Posts
I have had an Olympia for years and it does the job. I agree with the two-piece over one-piece.

When it gets cold, a rainsuit does a good job of adding extra warmth as well (for times when you are not prepared for a sudden change in temp).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts