Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Rain Rain go away (frankly a bit dissappointed with bike)

1K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  powergod 
#1 ·
2 days after i bought my bike and it's raining. Supposed to rain throughout next week too! Decided to take the bike for a ride in the rain just now and am sorry to say that i am a little dissappointed. Didn't expect it to start missing when im hardly a mile away from home. Infact i had to head back home after 2-3 miles to avert a scenario to be stranded with my bike in rain on a sunday!

The japanese bikes they gave us in the Rider Education class never missed or stalled when it rained hard during the 2 days of the class!

Perhaps i should bring it up with the mechanic!

:banghead:

#2 ·
First of all... wait and break the bike in a bit. How many miles do you have on it, 10-20?

I ride mine in major downpours and nothing ever misses. If it keeps missing, yup, bring it back to the dealer....

And if you are REALLY disappointed in it, I can take it off your hands if you are willing to take the hit.

#4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. You guys give me hope!

mikep i have 170 miles on it now and the 'little' 'missing' has happened in the rain only today

mikep said:
And if you are REALLY disappointed in it, I can take it off your hands if you are willing to take the hit.
no thanks! i agree i need to break it further and hopefully all quirks in it will be gone after the 1st service... :D

It only 'missed' a little and didn't really stall, so thats a good sign :D

#9 ·
hey welcome! Another NJ DX! Awesome!

On riding in the rain, I've ridden through drenching downpours & the bike's been solid as a rock all the way around. I think this might be an early break-in thing only. Mine loosened up nicely over the first 1500 miles, only gets better with each mile - almost 4000 now.

Send a PM if you want to cross paths, I know a few other local DX'ers too.

#10 ·
Riding in the rain is mandatory in Oregon if you don't want a 45 day riding season. No problems at all here.

#11 ·
NightRodX said:
hey welcome! Another NJ DX! Awesome!

On riding in the rain, I've ridden through drenching downpours & the bike's been solid as a rock all the way around. I think this might be an early break-in thing only. Mine loosened up nicely over the first 1500 miles, only gets better with each mile - almost 4000 now.

Send a PM if you want to cross paths, I know a few other local DX'ers too.

I can verify that. I was in that same downpour and had no problems.

#12 ·
Vrod-Mike said:
I can verify that. I was in that same downpour and had no problems.

:) I think it was about 15 of us were in that storm? Noone's bike failed or missed a beat. Can't say anything good about my cheap rain suit, but the bike ran flawlessly.

#13 ·
Thanks for all ur replies!
From your feedback i am happy to gather that it's not a normal behaviour for this bike and i will further ride it in the upcoming rainy days and see if the problem goes away and if not will get it fixed.

I will be spending next few weeks breaking the bike and getting more used to it and look forward to be there in one of those storms with u guys when u next brave it together... :)

#16 ·
I ride mine thru the E'glades all the time. Rains so damn hard you can't see 50 feet! NEVER missed a beat in 12K miles!

#17 ·
Arjun said:
No it wasn't warmed up. Maybe that was the reason!
I will make sure i do that every time in future!
Yes I get some sputters if I don't let 'er warm up before hitting the road. It's so hard not to kick it into gear & just go when it's sitting there running though so I understand the feeling!

Looks like we might have the basis of a good-sized V-Rod contingent in NY / NJ / PA here by the way....

#19 ·
vanslam said:
Maybe the bike wasn't warmed up. I know if I take off with a warm up it sputters a little. Last no more than a mile or two.
Mine always misses a bit when it's "cold". However, by the time I get to the first big intersection, she's ready to go!!!!!!!!!! I found that the missing lessened as the bike was broken in too. Good luck!!!!!!!

#21 ·
TBAR said:
Mine always misses a bit when it's "cold". However, by the time I get to the first big intersection, she's ready to go!!!!!!!!!! I found that the missing lessened as the bike was broken in too. Good luck!!!!!!!
:them:

As the bike was breaking in, everything started working better together. From tight as a drum to comfortable -- especially beginning at 1000 miles. At 2k, everything came together perfectly.

#22 ·
When you ride in the UK the rain is guaranteed to catch you at some time. Never had it miss a beat in the rain, runs better than my jap sports bike, main problem is trying to stop the rear wheel spin on greasy roads.

#23 ·
Thanks for all your replies folks!
Much appreciated!
I found out that it was the recommended warming up i was missing on...

1 week and 500+ miles later, now i need to know if it's ok to race it 60+mph?
The manual doesn't say anything about that...or do i still need to wait till the 1000mile service?

#25 ·
60 mph is not a problem. You want to keep your RMPs reasonable (I think it is below 6500 - look in the manual) and varried. Mostly you do not want to do long stretches always at the same RPM like steady highway driving until the 1000 mile maintenance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.