Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, maybe not VROD specific, but I rode the VROD 30 miles in a bad thunderstorm (stopped at one point to let the worst of the storm pass for about 30 minutes) with heavy rains last Sunday and was not happy. The GF was even more not happy :)

With the way the weather has been so far this spring/summer and the accuracy of the Weather Channel (accuracy, yeah right!!), I was thinking about getting some wet weather gear.

We didn't have any rain gear at all, so we were soaked to the bone and kind of cold with the temps dipping into the upper 50's.

What is some decent rain gear in case you get caught in a storm? I don't ride to work, just weekend stuff, so it just needs occasional use.

Also, maybe a dumb question but I'd like to keep the armored jacket on, so do I get a size that fits me and put the jacket over it? I was wearing my summer mesh jacket. Or do I go a couple of size higher so that I can put it on over my jacket and pants?

Thanks!!

Steve

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
Google: Frogg Toggs

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
I personally use the Cabela's brand Gore-Tex jacket and pants. I have not been wet yet and it fits right over my mesh gear. Get the boot gaitors to keep the pant legs tight and make a seal with the boot and you're good to go.

·
(Peter)
488 Posts
The Frog Togs are certainly cheap enough, but be careful not to let them hit the pipes or they will melt and make a mess to clean up. Don't ask how I know that.

·
Jarhead
598 Posts
Watch your pipes whatever you end up getting. Most rain gear will turn to hot bubbling goo on hot headers. I wrap my leg with a bandana where my leg would touch the fwd pipe.

My rain gear is one deal. BILT from Cycle Gear. I think it was $50 and I am happy with it.

·
I piss excellence
492 Posts
Watch your pipes whatever you end up getting. Most rain gear will turn to hot bubbling goo on hot headers.
I learned this lesson firsthand last weekend, and that shit does not come off. At least it was black rain gear melted on a black heat shield, so it's tough to see at first glance. I'd have been super pissed if it was a chrome heat shield...

·
Departed the Fix.
5,153 Posts
Um, yeah. Learned this lesson the hard way.

Frog Toggs? Was not impressed-- and as posted above, they WILL melt if they even THINK they're going to be near an exhaust. And their effectiveness goes down dramatically in a "real" rainstorm.

After learning my lesson, i broke down and got a set of HD rain gear on sale during the off season (so the pattern's a year old-- whatever). The price was reasonable (when on sale), and when coupled with some boot gaiters, was a nicely dry solution-- it's normally spendy stuff, but The Company does seem to make decent rain gear. And it packs down small enough that you can fit everything in about a half a V-Rod saddlebag. (For the record, I think this is the only HD apparel I own).

Just my 0.02.

R.

R.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys - Thanks for all the suggestions.

FlyBigJet - which HD rain gear did you get? I stopped at my local dealer the other morning and looked at the Canal Street rainsuit which is one of the least expensive and it seemed pretty thin.

Might check out some of the other Powersports dealers in the area to see if they have some other manufacturers in stock.

Steve

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually that might be a better way to go than getting a set, that way I can mix/match the size of the jacket and pants rather than getting a single size for both. Thanks!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Living in Vermont, I've been in some pretty substantial downpours in my Frogg Toggs and have never gotten wet wearing them. What I like about them is they pack down to almost nothing.

They absolutely will melt - as will a lot of other types of raingear. I did notice that they are now advertising aluminized panels on the legs. I'm still not sure I'd trust that. I liked the idea mentioned previously about just making a gaiter out an old jeans leg. I think I'll try that.

I melted a leg on mine when I first got the Vrod. What I found was that if I let it just bake really well on the pipe, it got crusty and was quite easy to flake off. Came off without leaving a mark or stain.

·
CENLA V-Rodder
157 Posts
Thanks to the wife and kids, I've got a set of HD High Vis rain gear...jacket and pants...not cheap though...

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I use the HD packable rain suit. Has the pad on the leg for the pipes. Mink Oil on the boots. When taking trips I always pack a full face helmet for the rain.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,153 Posts
Oh-- one thing I forgot to mention about Frog Toggs; you know the untearable stuff that FedEx makes their envelopes out of? That's what the Toggs are made of-- Tyvek. Not super breathable (but you're possibly mailable). I have no idea what the type of HD stuff i got was-- it was pretty decently designed, and most importantly on an R, extremely packable. So, I have the HD rain gear (which fit well over my riding clothes, waterproof gloves, waterproof boot covers, mink oil on the boots as a back-up, and either a full-face with a turtle-fur gaiter or a half-lid with goggles. Work good, pack into small place.

R.

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Aerostich.com. None better. Lasts forever.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Check your next local bike event that has vendors.I have seen numerous leg gaiters made for this purpose.Think short suspenders that attach horizontally.

·
IT Consultant
46 Posts
My HD leather jacket is porous so it's cool in motion at temperatures up to 90+ degrees. When it rains, I just put on the included liner and I do not get wet. I also have the heavier FXRG jacket that are also porous and vented and which have a waterproof liner.

For my legs I have the FXRG leathers whose vents I zip closed to keep from getting wet.

Neither of these are cheap but they are very comfortable and I don't worry about pipes.

And it stop and go traffic, I don't feel anything from the engine or exhaust pipes.

Just an alternative option and opinion. :)

-Forjo

1 - 20 of 20 Posts