Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By reading the forum, I know I am not the first guy this has happened to.
My Radiator trim piece on the right side blew loose and turned under the bike without me knowing it. I was kinda busy going around 100 mph. It was Still attached by that one screw, I made a right hand turn and heard a scraping sound. It looked like someone took a industrial disc grinder to my trim piece. It had completely ground through in a large spot.

That trim piece will set you back $250.00 and change if you buy from HD painted Vived Black.

Bicep

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
I have noticed the top of my shroud on either side had pulled apart so you can see the tab. I always just pushed it back in. If it clicks you know you got it. But I don't check it every time before I go riding. I did not think of it being ripped off at high speeds. But now that this has happen to you I think it will have to be incorporated in my per flight inspection. Sorry to hear your baby got heart. You know V rod r us has red and silver ones.:sad:

·
Banned
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got my $251.00 piece of plastic today.

I found a way to keep this from ever happening again.
I found a way to add a bolt at the top of the plastic piece and it is hidden from view, no drilling, nothing on the outside that can be seen.

I did both sides and now I can go 100 mph and not worry about the trim pieces coming loose again.

Bicep

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
I got my $251.00 piece of plastic today.

I found a way to keep this from ever happening again.
I found a way to add a bolt at the top of the plastic piece and it is hidden from view, no drilling, nothing on the outside that can be seen.

I did both sides and now I can go 100 mph and not worry about the trim pieces coming loose again.

Do you have any pictures of your fix. I wouldn't mind doing it. A little bit of prevention can save my shroud.:ride:

·
Banned
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tap the peg at the top of the cover 10-32, no need to drill a hole, it is allready there. just tap it 10-32 to the bottom.

Put the trim piece back on.

Use a 10-32 hex head bolt with a washer, and with needle nose plyers slip into the tight area and get the bolt started. After the bolt starts use a combo, open end/rachiting box end wrench and tighting the bolt lightly. It is a real thight spot. Just remember the $251.00 for a replacement part.

Your trim piece is now bolted at the top and bottom.

Bicep

Attachments

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
So it needed to be done. HD new it made the part for it. But did nothing with it. Too Tuff to install on the factory line. You Da Man :notworth:

·
Premium Member
2,900 Posts
Any bets that the built in "bolt holder" was engineered to be used to hold the shroud in place just as you have done, then somewhere along the line a bean counter concluded that they could save a few seconds / cents building each F by leaving this off?

Oops - I see vice grip said the same thing -- yesterday. :banghead:

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
those rad trim pieces are weird to get back together and IMOP needed more screws to hold them in. i feel your pain bicep,,,,,, sux for sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My left side just took a leap from mine this morning mid Houston while I was only going 65. Crappy thing is it broke a huge chunk from the mounting point at the bottom..
Making a huge stink with local Harley here in SA due to the number of people this has happened to. Have mtg with warranties on Monday to find a resolve.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts