Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a sheet of mesh from our local hardware shop, cut and fitted in one hour,i have the template if anyone is interested :ride:

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Looks good. Now if you don't mind I'm going to duck out of here before the inevitable turn this thread is going to take!

:hitfan:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
v3rod that looks very good.

Max

·
Registered
214 Posts
thats the best job i've seen yet!

·
Registered
974 Posts
I like it, there were three days that my fans came on all last summerFor a total of like 10 minutes). Not everyone lives in CA or FL.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I guess my concern with any screens is the vortex generators. They made a big deal about how important they were in the TV show. The screens have to have a negative effect on whatever they do. My fan rus all the time in the summer here in Texas. Guess I'll keep blowing out the radistor housing. (Love that leaf blower)

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
Daniii said:
I guess my concern with any screens is the vortex generators.

I doubt you'd be able to do too much harm to the bike with them on - I believe that the engine ignition cuts out if the coolant temperature gets too high. But I'm with you - I have to believe that the grille would seriously impede airflow through the radiator, and mess up the effect of the fins.

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
That was my first thought when they were first mentioned on the VTF, but the vendor swears he's tested them w/o any change in running or idle temp. Granted, that vendor has a shaky reputation.

John

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
This should be verifiable for anyone with an oil temp gauge. (I think)
Greg

·
speeding safely
499 Posts
They will decrease Airflow

They absolutely positively will decrease the airflow. I've played with mine a bit, and there is definitely less air that comes through.
So, will the bike be OK? Probably.
Will you have a bit less cooling margin? Definitely.

So, I guess it all depends on whether you want your vrod to look hot or cool

I've got an oil temp guage, and haven't noticed any difference, yet. But it's winter (sort of).

·
Banned
1,307 Posts
morey000 said:
They absolutely positively will decrease the airflow. I've played with mine a bit, and there is definitely less air that comes through.
So, will the bike be OK? Probably.
Will you have a bit less cooling margin? Definitely.

So, I guess it all depends on whether you want your vrod to look hot or cool

I've got an oil temp guage, and haven't noticed any difference, yet. But it's winter (sort of).

V3,
Call me lazyy, but how can I get a set of templates. I've got some larger stainless steel mesh I'm gonna make a set of these with...
Could you trace em out and mail em?

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
v3rod --- very nice. I'd like to see what they look like mounted on the bike. Also when the temps heat up, I'd like to hear how the bike runs. I own a set of the BP grilles and --I like them and not ashamed to admitt it. I am curious to compare tested and untested grilles. I'm not an expert on fluid dynamics, but I do know you can't just slap any medium on the bike without it affecting flow to a lesser or greater degree.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
I guess another way to consider this is, ok, maybe the fan works harder in the summer, but it might be a good tradeoff given you no longer have to fear a rock taking out your radiator....

·
Registered
582 Posts
How did you attach them to the plastic trim? I live in the UK/Ireland so I'm not too worried about the temp.... More bothered by rain really!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts