Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok the plastic drain plug is not good now, because while I'm trying to remove it, the plug is tearing apart.

Has anyone had this problem? Because it looks like every time you need to remove it, you got to buy a new one.

If this plug is so tight, then H-D needs to make a better quality plug that won't tear-up so easily.

So far I haven't removed it yet because the grip is tearing off. What the Heck?

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,929 Posts
This is a cheap part.

You are not the last for sure. LOL

You do not have to remove it all the way to drain.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
the plug isn't designed to be removed. You just loosen it a few turns and it drains via the groove in it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
radiator drain plug

I pulled mine for the first time yesterday. I got it out in one piece but if I didnt know better I'd think it was cross threaded. Im going to do some looking around before I try to put that plug back in to see what i can find. I guarantee you one thing, I wont go to HD and buy a new one. THere are too many defective parts on these bikes and my cash cow died. Im in no rush, still waiting on that water pump to come in....ugh....:banghead:

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Some plugs and specific retainers with threads have what's known as interference threads on them to keep them in place.
Find an alternative method.I drain as much coolant as will drain from the front cylinder plug and refill.If you start early doing this partial drain and add,there should be no reason for a complete flush.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some plugs and specific retainers with threads have what's known as interference threads on them to keep them in place.
Find an alternative method.I drain as much coolant as will drain from the front cylinder plug and refill.If you start early doing this partial drain and add,there should be no reason for a complete flush.
That's what I'm going to do. That plug is going to stay there. If I have to remove it then maybe I can find a brass plug to replace it.

I needed to drain it so I just said to my self, FAck the mess and I took off the water pump cover and caught as much fluid as I could. Replaced the pump cover with a nice chrome cover to match my chrome hose cover. Also, I found some nasty stuff on the insert and cover. I cleaned that crap off. Some day I think I should bath the entire pump housing. It looks gross.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,373 Posts
That's what I'm going to do. That plug is going to stay there. If I have to remove it then maybe I can find a brass plug to replace it.

I needed to drain it so I just said to my self, FAck the mess and I took off the water pump cover and caught as much fluid as I could. Replaced the pump cover with a nice chrome cover to match my chrome hose cover. Also, I found some nasty stuff on the insert and cover. I cleaned that crap off. Some day I think I should bath the entire pump housing. It looks gross.
Yeah the stock drain plug is kind of like belt and suspenders. Interference fit threads and sealing ring. Either of which will keep is sealed and on, wish they hadn't gone quite as intereference as they did.
Some say a pipe plug will fit, either 1/4 or 3/8 NPT. Can't verify myself as I'm not willing to remove it to check, till I need to again.
Just did the water pump thing myself, there is always some mess even if you drain everything they suggest.
As for the grunge inside, I attribute that, perhaps incorrectly, to some trace of galvanic corrosion, the various metals that are within the coolant circuit, radiator, cases, gaskets, retaining bolts etc.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,373 Posts
Yep, familiar with it.
Somewhere there's a path from that compartment to the weep hole.
Elrod suggested that water from washing and rain riding gets it the weep hole, sits and causes corrosion. It is also the path for fluid escape when coolant gets past the shaft seals.

I had never done a radiator flush prior to my recent pump replacement (7 years) but think now that I'll schedule one in yearly. One, I don't think it will hurt and two, it will flush out trace metallic content that perhaps leeches into the coolant over time and perhaps promotes corrosion in the system.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, familiar with it.
Elrod suggested that water from washing and rain riding gets it the weep hole, sits and causes corrosion. It is also the path for fluid escape when coolant gets past the shaft seals.

I had never done a radiator flush prior to my recent pump replacement (7 years) but think now that I'll schedule one in yearly. One, I don't think it will hurt and two, it will flush out trace metallic content that perhaps leeches into the coolant over time and perhaps promotes corrosion in the system.
I,too, thought a radiator flush would be a good idea in the future and told my Dad. My Dad thought it wouldn't be needed. I don't know, sometimes I think I know more, but he has the experience on anything mech, elec, etc.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Here's the pictures of the nasty

That aint nasty yet.you need to keep water out of there as much as possible when washing.That just a blank air cavity.You should pull the pump and change the other gasket and 2 o-rings.Only use the gasket once.

This is nasty.I think this was about 30,000 miles.Water intrusion caused this on mine.

Attachments

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Yep, familiar with it.

The hole has been named "weep" over the years because when the pump shaft seal fails ,coolant-anti freeze weeps out the hole.
That hole is an equalizer vent.It keeps equal pressure at the seal to the outside atmosphere.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ohh my

That aint nasty yet.you need to keep water out of there as much as possible when washing.That just a blank air cavity.You should pull the pump and change the other gasket and 2 o-rings.Only use the gasket once.

This is nasty.I think this was about 30,000 miles.Water intrusion caused this on mine.
That is horrible!:barf:

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've found a leak in my cooling system, and this little bastard plug is the culprit. The cheesy grip for tightening it is almost broken off, and I'm afraid if I tighten it any further, it'll break. Has anyone sucessfully removed and replaced the plug? Is there a seal other than the threads which may have failed (i.e. gasket, bronze or copper washer, or o-ring)?

The leak is barely a drip, but I had it up on a lift this weekend, and pulled the radiator shrouds to see if I could detect where the leak was coming from. I thoroughly cleaned, degreased, and dried all exposed radiator/tank surfaces. After letting her run long enough the fans cycle, and for the thermostat to open, I saw nothing. But about an hour later, could see the tiniest stream pooling directly from the bottom of the plug.

I kept a close eye on it over the summer, but I'd rather not have the worry. In about 2300 miles of riding, I only lost about 1/2 quart.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
David.

·
NSFW
1,982 Posts
I've found a leak in my cooling system, and this little bastard plug is the culprit. The cheesy grip for tightening it is almost broken off, and I'm afraid if I tighten it any further, it'll break. Has anyone sucessfully removed and replaced the plug? Is there a seal other than the threads which may have failed (i.e. gasket, bronze or copper washer, or o-ring)?

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
David.
I checked my R parts cat and it shows no other pieces in there but the plug.

Doc

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had pulled the plug when the bike was fairly new and put a light coat of dielectric grease on it. It has worked well so far for three changes. I think I will definitely have a spare on hand for my next change, though. I'm sure it will get brittle over time and from the heat.

·
Registered
339 Posts
For those that have the same problem- A trip to my stealership today provided me with my fix. The SERVICE manual shows a photograph of the plug, and it appears to have an O-ring that performs the sealing. My plug is bottomed out, so the flange of the plug is flat to the radiator tank. Which leads me to believe that there's a crushed or missing o-ring missing with my assembly. New ones were only $2.35 each, so I ordered 2. Eaxy fix for a scary problem.

SERVICE manual also suggested ONLY hand-tightening, with (if I recall) 23 inch-pounds of torque (I'm guessing this is to prevent the 0-ring from being crushed or torn).

After the plugs arrive, I'll follow up to confirm this info. Thanks to all who helped and made suggestions for troubleshooting.

Winter's half-over, and I've only got about 6 months of work left on the bike. More Red Bulls, I think will solve that issue.

Happy New Year to all.
David.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,373 Posts
For those that have the same problem- A trip to my stealership today provided me with my fix. The SERVICE manual shows a photograph of the plug, and it appears to have an O-ring that performs the sealing. My plug is bottomed out, so the flange of the plug is flat to the radiator tank. Which leads me to believe that there's a crushed or missing o-ring missing with my assembly. New ones were only $2.35 each, so I ordered 2. Eaxy fix for a scary problem.

SERVICE manual also suggested ONLY hand-tightening, with (if I recall) 23 inch-pounds of torque (I'm guessing this is to prevent the 0-ring from being crushed or torn).

After the plugs arrive, I'll follow up to confirm this info. Thanks to all who helped and made suggestions for troubleshooting.

Winter's half-over, and I've only got about 6 months of work left on the bike. More Red Bulls, I think will solve that issue.

Happy New Year to all.
David.
Yeah drawing shows o-ring but there's not one. Not sure why.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts