Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've decided after playing around on my 09 dx that I wanna get a vrod strictly for the track any opinions on what year to buy motor work an high performance parts to get an what work to do would be appreciated of course only talking vrods an vrod mods here I wanna go as fast as humanly possible within a budget but I don't wanna do it an don't wanna use my new baby so I wanna buy older used bike to really abuse any help

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
I would suggest getting a cheap 02-04 with a 180 tire as a starting point. Contact Fitzgerald Motorsports (ohioVrod) for your gofast parts.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That bike in the classifieds is to pretty for what I want just bare bones for me want it to be all motor

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,318 Posts
I'd like to get in the 9's to start..............That bike in the classifieds is to pretty for what I want just bare bones for me want it to be all motor
Perhaps you need to start looking at Destroyers !!! Unfortunately, they are Pretty looking too.. :wazzup:

·
Registered
618 Posts
The green VR 29 bike that I had in classifieds is sold. I just sold the engine out of my VR 1 bike. That rolling chassis is now for sale. I have a few stock engines on the shelf and can build what your budget will allow. I also just bought a 2002 Vrod that I will build to suit.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like ur someone I need to talk to here's my number 8152131492 I'm free monday tuesday wednesday an thursdays give me a call at ur convenience

·
Registered
731 Posts
Not to rain on the V-Rod parade, but for roughly the same amount of money, you could buy a used Kawasaki ZX-14 or Suzuki Hayabusa. Take my word for it, in stock form they will go faster than anything you could could do with a V-Rod on a budget. The rev limiter does not kick in on either bike until 300 KPH (186 mph).

I just re-read your post. You want it for the strip only? Still...

Phatass

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I understand that but I don't ride jap bikes an ill get one fast enough to blow those things of the road

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
I understand that but I don't ride jap bikes an ill get one fast enough to blow those things of the road
in reality ...no you won't. i love the vrods and recently won a local championship on one but a stock zx14 is as quick as a 180hp vrod anyday.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I'm sure they can be beat

No doubt. Most anything can be. BUT, you stated that you were doing this on a budget. Now maybe your idea of a "budget" and mine are a bit different. Let me share a few facts with you might find of interest. You may not like "Jap" bikes, but you cannot change the facts.

My old (stock) Kawasaki ZX-14:

Weight - 555 pounds wet
HP - 180 (W/O ram air, which kicks in at 120mph and boosts HP to ~200 hp)
Top speed - 186 mph, assuming rev limiter is operational. W/O rev limiter, stock bike will do all of 200 mph.

Stock, yes stock, off the shelf ZX-14's (minus air filter and slammed) will do low to mid 9's in the quarter mile. I will concede that that is with Ricky Gadson driving, but still. A Destroyer will do low to mid 9's in the quarter. Perhaps 8's with a really good rider. But a Destroyer will set you back more than $30,000. Not my idea of a "budget". But hey, that's just me.

My current 2009 Nightrod Special:

Weight - 676 pounds wet
HP - 125
Top speed - 150mph.

Good luck with your project.

Phatass

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
A couple of observations...

1. Average guy at the drag strip is not going to run in the 9's on a Busa or ZX, most will be in the low 10's especially a stock or just slightly modified bike. I go to the MIROCK races and thats all there is there for the most part....

2. For most of us we couldn't build a V to run in the 10's on a BUDGET without the use of NOS or TURBO and that would get you in the high 10's....Im sure the guys that run the V-Rod class like Lou and others have a large sum of money tied up in those bikes I would guess minus the cost of the bike over 10000.00 or more...

3. You can find new Destroyers for under 19000.00 if you look around and nice used ones from 15000.-11000.

4. The Silver bike that VR28 has for sale is a smoking deal on a bike that should run in the mid 10's with a Good rider....

1 - 20 of 49 Posts