Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since i've had 3 pretty serious crashes the last being the worst one yet.i still refuse to quit and now i wear a fullface all the time. its a pretty light helmet and at high speeds 100+MPH it seems to be unstable do i need to get down on the bike more or do i need a heavier helmet?

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
You can crotch down to get better airflow over the helmet. A heavier helmet is not what you want, especially if god forbid you went down again. The shape of the helmet is going to play a part.

1)Are you wearing the right size??
Many people out there don't know it but they are wearing a helmet that is one size to big. When I first started riding I wore a large now its a medium. You actually want the helmet to be tight on your face.

2)What type of helmet are you using???
I have an Arai Corsair, which is very light, and probably one of the best helmets on the market. The aero shape on the helmet is excellent!!

3)Remember on a Vrod the air is hitting you dead straight on so even with ducking it is not going to be that much better.

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its a h-d helmet i bought at the dealer.pretty sure its the right size its med. also.it has no special shape just looks like a regular helmet.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
To be honest with you I don't trust those HD helmets. Is the helmet nice and snug on your face??

I would go with an Arai or Shoei....yes they cost a little more, but youu only have one head!!

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I've always noticed that the companies that offer the "lightweight" helmets are usually quoting their advantage as "less rider fatigue on long rides" and such.....but really if you find a helmet you like, that is comfortable, and is DOT and Snell approved, it should be okay.....the helmets are technically only good for one good "bump" and then their integrity is compromised and they should be replaced.....(try not to drop it!) hehehe
I'm partial to Icon (shameless plug for a sponsor). I've used them for about 5 years and the fit is nice, the wind reaction is nice, and I like their shield release system......
I do agree that you should take the time and find one that fits snug but not so much that your eyes bug out!.....You don't want your eyes bugging out but at the same time, you don't want it spinning around backwards every time you turn your head slightly!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts