Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Flat Broke
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy has been dying to race me since I got my 2010 Muscle. He has a 2000 Softail with the 88B motor bored out to a 95ci with some carb work done, Thunder headers, Dyno tuned and running Mobil1. Mine is still stock with 1000 miles on it and the HD oil it came with. I was a little surprised that he was able to keep up to an extent. He kept telling me he missed a gear etc. I definitely pulled through 3rd, I didn't really need to get to fourth....or 3rd for that matter. We did a couple pulls while riding as well and every time I started pulling away. I can't wait to see the difference once I get my pipes, filter, tune and oil done!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a 2001 FXSTI with a 95ci kit, andrews 37G (gears driven cams sounded sweet), V&H big shots, and some other mods, it was making close to 100HP and 94 ft/lbs. I traded it for my 09 VRSCF. That bike came out of the hole like a raped ape. It is all about the torque. I have no doubts that my softail had a better 0-60 time than my Muscle. But after that, forget about it the Muscle will win everytime. The softail peaked it's HP at 5200 rpms, So it was a matter of how fast you can shift through the gears, where on the V-rod, you are still in first at 60mph!!

·
Flat Broke
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, his bike definitely has more low end torque. I can't imagine it would even be a competition once I get my pipes, tuner and filter done.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
honestly, after another 4k miles with the stock set up he wouldn't have a shot. These engines really come to life around the 5k mark.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Really? AOW,
They actually take that long to "come together"? I was thinking after the break in, what you got is what you got... hmmm... that's good to know then. thanks

·
Flat Broke
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
honestly, after another 4k miles with the stock set up he wouldn't have a shot. These engines really come to life around the 5k mark.
That is pretty exciting to think about. Do you think it will take longer using AMSOIL?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Amsoil won't hinder the break in, but it will make the engine & your shifting that much smoother and cooler.

·
Flat Broke
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Amsoil won't hinder the break in, but it will make the engine & your shifting that much smoother and cooler.
I did notice it seems smoother from 3rd on, 1st seems to clunk in and from 1st to second it seems to clunk pretty hard as well. Is that normal?

·
Registered Boozer
1,529 Posts
regarding breaking in: my F is at the 2k mark and i am starting to notice a difference. it feels like it's "coming into it's own".

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I did notice it seems smoother from 3rd on, 1st seems to clunk in and from 1st to second it seems to clunk pretty hard as well. Is that normal?
very normal

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.