Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Flamed Rod
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the race tuner adjust the speedo for the 28 tooth pulley? whataboout any other type of change? rear tire change? will it still adjust to any mod or just the 28 tooth? What can I do with the race tuner without going to the dealer? Thanks in advance

Darrin

·
Registered
696 Posts
crvte84 said:
Can the race tuner adjust the speedo for the 28 tooth pulley? whataboout any other type of change? rear tire change? will it still adjust to any mod or just the 28 tooth? What can I do with the race tuner without going to the dealer? Thanks in advance

Darrin
There is a check box you select if the bike has the 28t pulley. Thats it no other parameters to change when it comes to gearing or tire diameter.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
crvte84 said:

Darrin
Darrin,

There's a 123 page manual that comes with the race tuner which should be read in its entirety before you decide to change anything. There are literally thousands of items you can change with the RT and without a good understanding of their consequences it could turn into a recipe for disaster. The RT is not idiot resistant or easy to use, it was never intended to be, it's a tool for race teams to use and engine tuners who know what they are doing. If all you are doing to your bike is adding pipes and changing the air filter then the Techlusion/DFO/Cobra/HD Race Fueler (pick one, they are all the same basic unit) are all you need. The RT and the PCIII are overkill IMHO.

With that said, I am one of the early adopters of the race tuner and I love it. I also have 20+ years experience with performance motors, a thorough understanding of EFI and 20+ years of computer experience. If I didn't have this background I would have a Techlusion and an aftermarket speedometer calibrator installed on my bike. They are easy, cheap and they work.

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
I haven't gotten to the point in the manual where it tells me where to change the 28t.Can I go back and forth from the 30-to 28?Or am I stuck with a 28t flash?

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
It's on page 5, one line! (see attached) You don't even see the option until you start the download or program function. It pops a window asking if you have the 28 tooth option installed on the bike. Answer yes and it adjusts, answer no and it leaves it @ 30T. Yes, you can go back and forth between pulleys but you have to reload the map file too. Not a problem, just select the map that matches whats on the bike when you want to adjust the pulley diameter.

BTW, I have no idea how it handles '04 bikes. I suspect it knows that it's an '04 by the ECM part number and doesn't even open the 28T window. Anyone who's used the RT on an '04?

Attachments

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
I skipped that page somehow. thanks.

·
backcracker
735 Posts
The guy working on mine had a guy from the Harley shop check my bike out on the RT to see if he could find a map for it and he told me it didn't have the standard map from HD on it. He asked me if I was the original owner or if I had done anything to it. Anyone heard of this? Mine is an 03 that I got right out of the box.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
The naming methodology has changed between the time your ECM was flashed at the factory and the Race Tuner was updated. I think the older file names are not correctly read by the new RT or the number/name retrieved is different than what they are used to seeing on the Scanalizer. I would ask them to tell you what the RT reports vs. what they are expecting to see, the specifics, not just that they are different. They could also call their HD technical support line for assistance.

Not sure what's different with yours but there are only 3 maps in the RT for the V-Rod, 2 for US bikes. IT shouldn't be that hard to "find" a map ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
mjw930 said:
Darrin,

There's a 123 page manual that comes with the race tuner which should be read in its entirety before you decide to change anything. There are literally thousands of items you can change with the RT and without a good understanding of their consequences it could turn into a recipe for disaster. The RT is not idiot resistant or easy to use, it was never intended to be, it's a tool for race teams to use and engine tuners who know what they are doing. If all you are doing to your bike is adding pipes and changing the air filter then the Techlusion/DFO/Cobra/HD Race Fueler (pick one, they are all the same basic unit) are all you need. The RT and the PCIII are overkill IMHO.

With that said, I am one of the early adopters of the race tuner and I love it. I also have 20+ years experience with performance motors, a thorough understanding of EFI and 20+ years of computer experience. If I didn't have this background I would have a Techlusion and an aftermarket speedometer calibrator installed on my bike. They are easy, cheap and they work.
The guy I bought my '03 from is a service rep for HD, and he told me that the Race Fueler wasn't worth the money, and to spend the extra $$$ for the RT.

Rival

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
rival said:
The guy I bought my '03 from is a service rep for HD, and he told me that the Race Fueler wasn't worth the money, and to spend the extra $$$ for the RT.

Rival
That assumes you or your tuner has the aptitude to understand and use the Race Tuner. The Race Fueler is nothing more than a Techlusion box with additional trim points and the correct connectors so you don't have to cut the wiring harness. It's a viable alternative for those who don't want to cut the factory wiring and don't have access to the skill necessary to use the RT effectively. It's not as simple as the HD rep makes it out to be IMHO.

Race Fueler = $225 (street price $180)
Race Tuner = $460 (street price $370)

You can draw your own conclusions as to their relative worth.

·
Registered
18 Posts
mjw930 said:
That assumes you or your tuner has the aptitude to understand and use the Race Tuner. The Race Fueler is nothing more than a Techlusion box with additional trim points and the correct connectors so you don't have to cut the wiring harness. It's a viable alternative for those who don't want to cut the factory wiring and don't have access to the skill necessary to use the RT effectively. It's not as simple as the HD rep makes it out to be IMHO.

Race Fueler = $225 (street price $180)
Race Tuner = $460 (street price $370)

You can draw your own conclusions as to their relative worth.
I don't know enough about engines to debate how effective either product would be. But, I thought you also had to buy the flash chip if you were changing a part such as an exhaust. If so, this part price would also have to added to total cost. I was just letting others know for about $200 dollars they can get a product that can be flashed or changed an infinite amount of times. Luckily for all of us they make so many diverse parts/products to fit different taste and budgets.

Rival

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Rival,

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of the RT but I know that for more than 80% of the population it's overkill. A simple pipe and filter change really only needs fuel compensation which the TFI or Race Fueler do. No other flash is required to make the necessary compensations in fuel needed to take advantage of these pipe / air intake upgrades. The $180 is all that would need to be spent. If the dealer says you also need a flash then he's simply trying to make more money or he doesn't understand fuel injection. The TFI / Race Fueler also provides infinite adjustability if you change pipes, it's just not nearly as comprehensive as the RT.

What you DON'T GET with the TFI or race fueler is the ability to modify the timing or the rev limit. For serious performance fanatics (count me in) the Race Tuner is the best way to go.

Now, as a compromise, you can load one of the flashes to get the better timing curve and higher rev limit then add the TFI to smooth out the fuel curve, especially if you use non Screamin' Eagle pipes. The single biggest advantage of this solution is a lot less money needs to be spent on the dyno and I would bet that the torque curve and peak HP numbers would end up being within 5% of the tweaked out Race Tuner bike. (I personally don't want to leave that 5% on the table but you have to be aware, that last 5% will eat up over 50% of the money you're putting into the bike's enhancements)

·
Registered
204 Posts
RT Map with Rineharts and topless

:hmm: Have decided to go with the RT but need a good map for rinehart pipes and running topless my 28 tooth is on order so still stock :yak: their.

anyone able to help out???? :surrender

Thanks

Craig

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi , Love the look of your bike, is that the stock swing arm? Where are the rear indicators?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
VJoe said:
The latest version of the manual and RaceTuner version E doesn't even mention the 28 tooth at all.
The version I purchased did not either however as you prepare to do the flash one of the last questions prompted is the pulley, 28 or 30 tooth. I am sure it is still an option in the latest version.

·
Bone Stock B Model
8,639 Posts
Max said:
The version I purchased did not either however as you prepare to do the flash one of the last questions prompted is the pulley, 28 or 30 tooth. I am sure it is still an option in the latest version.
This is still the case! Just installed a brand new race tuner last week, and when you go to program the ECM it will ask you if you have a 28 tooth pulley.

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
bremo76VRSCR said:
mine does when I start the download and it is an E version
I have the D version and it asks "Have you installed the 28 tooth sprocket upgrade?" (something to that effect) when I flash as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts