Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
jwithrow80
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2007 Ultra with a HD Race Tuner. The bike has been running pretty good and has about 2000 miles on it. While riding today the bike did not want to idle after running 70+mph for any amount of time. The air temp was around 90 degrees.

The map was made on the dyno. The bike makes 85hp and 95 ft lbs torque, and the afr is good all the way around. Idle is set around 900.

I never had this trouble on the V-rod maps.

Thanks for any help.

·
jwithrow80
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone???

:banghead:

·
jwithrow80
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes

idles normal after cooling down and after cold start.

thanks

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Is it 96 CI with a 6 speed and air cooled ?

Do you have a temp gauge for your oil?

My guess is you are not alone with this idle problem in 90 degree weather.

Are you sure it is the mapping?

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Saw this recall and it reminded me of the one for the 02 VROD due to idle problems.

Ask around over at;

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/index.php

07 EFI calibration recall

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just received a letterfrom HD about a new calibration for 07 engines. I brought it to my dealer for whom this was news...

reads as follows:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
November 27, 2006

Dear Harley Davidson Motorcycle Owner:

Congratulations on the purchase of a 2007 model year Harley-Davidson motorcycle! We trust you are enjoying the new Twin Cam engine with Cruise drive 6 speed transmission when you ride. This letter is to inform you of an enhancement Harley-Davidson is offering you at no charge to make your ownership experience even more enjoyable.

As you are probably aware, HD expends a significant amount of effort to continuously improve our products. This effort not only involve in-house testing by our engineering and product development staff, but also includes important input from our customers. Conversations with our consumers at rallies and Factory Open Houses allow us to better understand the riding habits of a sizable customer base. The information collectd during these activities, in conjuction with the acquisition of other test data, allowed our engineering team torefine the calibration of the Electronic Fuel Injection system for original equipment (OE) motorcycles, CVO, and all street legal calibrated vehicles.

The refined calibration will smooth the torque curve application in a manner that minimizes high shock loads to drive train components, which could cause engine damage. For example, high shock loads could result from lugging the engine during hard acceleration while operating under 1500 RPM. In addition, this refinement will enhance the drive characteristics for the new Twin Cam engine and, on some models, will improve fuel economy during certain steady state driving conditions as well.

We are so confident of the positive aspects of this change from a rider's perspective that we implemented the new calibration on all 2007 Twin Cam models as of October, 2006. We want you to experience this drivability improvement on your motorcycle as well.

We strongly urge you to have this service performed. You can take advantage of this enhancement by contacting your selling dealer to schedule an appointment to have it installed, or by asking to have it installed as part of your next regular maintenance visit. This upgrade should take approximately 1/2 hour of actual service time, and will be at no charge to you. Actual time at the dealership will vary due to scheduling logistics. The upgrade is available for stock OE configuration vehicles as well as those that have had a street legal calibration change installed. This no charge calibration upgrade offer is valid from now to the end of the warranty period for your motorcycle.

Once again, we are offering this upgrade in the interest of providing you the highest possible level of satisfaction with your Harley-Davidson motorcycle. We hope you will take advantage of it ar your earliest convenience.

Harley-Davidson Motor Company

·
jwithrow80
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes

the bike is 96 ci and i do have an oil temp gauge. i had a 2006 ultra with a similar map and did not have this trouble.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
The air cooled motors go into a "cooling" phase when the oil temp gets past a certain point. It starts skipping power pulses to help reduce heat. If that part of the map wasn't tweaked (I don't know where in the RT file you would tune it) then you're probably running lean or have too little timing at idle for this special mode to function properly. Have the dealer remap the bike back to stock and see if that cures the problem. If it does then you'll have to dig deeper into the map file to see how to add fuel under high temp conditions.

·
RICK
648 Posts
WITH 85 RWHP, YOU APPEARANTLY HAVE SEVERAL THINGS DONE TO THIS BIKE. i'VE MAPPED MANY OF THE 96" AN HAVE YET TO SEE OVER 75HP ON A STAGE ONE. I HAVE GOT THE TORQUE WELL INTO THE 90'S. WITH THE SMALL CAMS THAT HD PUTS IN THE BIKES, IT MINIMIZES HP GAINS AND KEEPS THE BIKE RUNNING COOL WITH THE LARGER MOTORS. DO YOU HAVE A COPY OF THE MAP INSTALLED. SEND IT TO ME AND LET ME TAKE A LOOK.
[email protected]
SCAN THE BIKE FOR TROUBLE CODES. LET ME KNOW THE MODS, I PROBABLY HAVE A MAP THAT IS CLOSE

1 - 10 of 10 Posts