Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What will give me more horsepower?Right now I am running the PCIIIr.I don't like it.I would like to go to the raced tuner because I feel that the it will be easier and more to tune.Also it will calibrate my speedo when I get the 28t pulley.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Vinny,

This topic has quite a few people on both sides of the fence. IMHO the Race Tuner can ultimately provide you with the most HP with the best driveability and fuel economy IF tuned by someone who has been either trained by HD on it's use or has a thorough understanding of the technology. Nothing beats modifying the internal tables in the ECM.

The person doing the tuning is the most important piece of the puzzle. The Race Tuner, in the wrong hands, can be just a bad as a PCIII in the wrong hands.

Mark

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have much faith in the tuner at my dealer with the PCIIIr.I take the bike in again for dyno time,last friday.I got to be there w/him while it was getting done.I first wanted the dying to stop when i give it gas.He didn't fix it.But we got 115rwhp and 79lbs torque.Then he went to change more,and lost all the maps he made.So we ended up with 113.8hp and 77.5lbs.torque.I know there is more to be had, since we had it.Must just be the person not device.
You shoulda heard the bike.Everybody came to see and hear it.It was open house at the dealer.The owner of the dealership came to see what was on the dyno.He told the sales manager to order a set of supertrapps for their demo v-rod.Made me feel good.
I guess I can get the calibration module from chopper steve.

Vince

·
Live Free or Die
938 Posts
If you don't mind strapping your laptop onto the rear of the bike, you can see your basic mode or advanced mode tuning progress using "DATA MODE on Closed Course Track." I've been reading pages in my RT Tuning Guide, it seems to be written with enough detail to give you just enough confidence as a beginner to try the stuff out.

I am still going to start with a baseline at my local dyno, after finding their most knowledgable RT tuner. That way I will have an optimum MT2 file to return to if I determine that my learning experience begins to go astray. Yes, I've already checked...

...my luggage rack pack is big enough to fit the computer. Now that I own an RT, I think that I will try a few of those step-by-step tuning procedures on that so called closed course track! This thing has tons of features packed in to the software, the PC3 has less features, but more download files available if your mods match what others preceding you have done.

Two different approaches, if you are unhappy with what you have, make the change. There are people here who might better fit the PC3 approach that would gladly buy yours.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Mark,
The Closed End Cap kills about 4rwhp!It's sucks!Run it open with all or none of the plates"it doesn't matter"as long as it's open!I had one the first sets of SuperTrapps and did allot of Testing with them!
Kaz.............:cool:

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Mark,
I got a map from v-mod.they claimed 8rwhp w/ no end cap.That's the map the tuner has been playning with.

When I get my laptop,I will be cruizing around and tuning as I go.

The closed cap makes it sound tinny.Without the cap it isn't that much louder.Also sounds better.

I need to talk to the tuner and find out if he has been trained by HD.

Thanks,
Vinny

·
If You Ain't Cav...
2,069 Posts
FOR TRADE:
1 PCIIIr barely used for 1 Race Tuner.
Any takers? :D

Mike

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Mike,

Try the Yahoo V-Rod group, there's a "Yahoo" on there that's "calling me out" because I slammed the PCIIIr. I post as porsche_rod.

Mark

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Mark, I saw all that. You da man.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Trouble Maker!:slap2: ;)

·
Yeah, but what if...
4,714 Posts
There is a yahoo group? Where?

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Karl,

The Yahoo group isn't really very good but you can check it out at http://groups.yahoo.com Do a search on v-rod. There should be two, the one we are talking about is Harley_V-Rod.

Be forwarned, Lance, the forum owner, is a real pr*ck.

Mark

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Lance is a perfect example of why you see the number of mods that you do on this site. I was always one of the people that got along with lance but I never made waves. I have seen him go off on people for little to no reason IMHO. With a larger group of moderators I think you get a more balanced viewpoint instead of a single opinion.

Max

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
I hear ya Max, but it only takes one with an itchy delete/edit finger to screw things up. The more mods, the higher the chance of having that one person. Just stating a contrarian view.:)

John

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
While thats true John it also puts in a system of checks and balances so that changes are made accordingly. As you have seen first hand I'm always making changes to make this as fair of a system as it can be. In Lances case no one is allowed to question his calls and nothing ever changes. IMHO

Max

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Well, we've got some "thread drift" going on here, guys. Maybe we need to start a new thread about "forum administration."

Running a board by "mod democracy" is an interesting experiment, Max. On the one hand, it IS Lance's group and ppl don't have to subscribe if he annoys them. Plus, he's very clear on his start page about his "rule being law." We're doing it differently here, thanks to you. I hope that makes it more comfortable for the members.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Val your correct on both counts. Sorry about the thread drift, and it is his board with the rules stated clearly.

Max

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Val,

<warning: thread drift>

You're right, Lance puts it right up front that he's the law on that board but that doesn't mean I have to like or respect him. He booted me for posting a link to the VTF. He deleted the post and I complained about being censored. No profanity, no threats, I just wanted an explanation. What I got was a deleted account.

I think MAX has the right idea. Multiple moderators can and does work but ultimately MAX has the final say. I've been in these types of groups before and they are the ones that have the most sense of community IMHO.

<end thread drift> ;)

On topic: BUY THE RACE TUNER :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts