Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have any data files that fit to the calibration files?
Best would be 100% throttle runs from 2500 to max RPM.
It would help me to understand the changes made.

J-D

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
J-D,

Sorry but the orriginal tuner didn't save the datalogs and the datalogs for the current run are based on a step test and not a linear inertial run. Those data logs are on another computer, I'll see if I can find them. I'm going to the dyno on Feb 6th, I'll pull some datalogs for you.

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi MJW930,

I did a little bit of homework and had a close look at your file "105GY001-A0-MJW1.MT2" and compared the VE settings of both cylinders at 100% throttle.
I tried to scale it right but I don't use Excel very often, so the graph looks a bit fragmentated.
Isn't it strange that the VE values of front and rear cylinder differ so strong between 2000 and 5000 RPM? We talk about nearly +/- 20% !!!
I don't know if this is also the case with the stock settings.
One can say that high VE is directly related to high combustion performance.
The question is:
Should this simply be adjusted in the tuning map file or should the engines intake / exhaust setup be modified in order to improve the air flow characteristic?

Jan-Dirk

Attachments

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
Mark, I'm configured exactly the same as you are except I have a PCIIIr. I know you're not a big fan of the PC because the way it works and it isn't as capable as the Race Tuner, but shouldn't you be getting more than 110.9 HP? I mean I'm getting 117.5 out of mine.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
In less they are both tested on the same machine your numbers mean NOTHING! :rolleyes: ;)

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
Roger that Kaz. I'm still new to all this, but quite frankly it'll be awhile before I mod anything major. I REALLY am happy with the way the bike is running -- really hauls ass. I think I told you I took off the fork reflectors -- much mo betta.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Thats it,Stick with me and you'll be going Place KID!

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
:laugh: :moped:

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Michael333 said:
Mark, I'm configured exactly the same as you are except I have a PCIIIr. I know you're not a big fan of the PC because the way it works and it isn't as capable as the Race Tuner, but shouldn't you be getting more than 110.9 HP? I mean I'm getting 117.5 out of mine.
Kaz is right, different dynos produce different numbers. I focused most of my tuning in the midrange to clean up the curve. The top end has given me problems as it reads lean on one dyno and rich on another, WITH THE SAME TUNE! I'm still looking to find a shop that has everything working and is willing to let me "play" with the tune without charging me through the noze. (you spend about 40 minutes of every hour analyzing the data and programming the bike and I refuse to pay an hourly rate for the dyno "tech" to stand there and watch me do all the work :chair: )

So far I've had the bike on 4 different dynos and none of them have reported the same numbers. They have ranged from 107.9 - 116.5 (adjusted) and I've made very few adjustments to the top end fuel curve and no timing adjustments.

·
Metal Guitarist
5,201 Posts
Even though the numbers may change on different dyno setup's does the torque curve (even though the number will change) look the same?

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Pretty close, actually surprisingly close.

Example: I show essentially a flat torque curve 5900 - 7200 on 2 different dynos. Dyno 1 has my bike @ ~75 ft-lbs and dyno 2 has it @ ~80 ft-lbs! Same bike, same tune, same torque curve. Both dynojet 150's with an atmospheric correction factor of 1.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
According to the tuner @ Daytona HD they are going to set up their new shop with a superflow eddy current dyno with all the latest bells and whistles for tuning EFI bikes. That shop is slated to be open in the fall. I don't know if I can wait that long but I will be one of the first on that thing when it shows up :)

The program on the superflow walks you through various step and sweep tests then prints out the results fully cross referenced to AFR..... It will be sweet.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Hi MJW930,

I did a little bit of homework and had a close look at your file "105GY001-A0-MJW1.MT2" and compared the VE settings of both cylinders at 100% throttle.
I tried to scale it right but I don't use Excel very often, so the graph looks a bit fragmentated.
Isn't it strange that the VE values of front and rear cylinder differ so strong between 2000 and 5000 RPM? We talk about nearly +/- 20% !!!
I don't know if this is also the case with the stock settings.
One can say that high VE is directly related to high combustion performance.
The question is:
Should this simply be adjusted in the tuning map file or should the engines intake / exhaust setup be modified in order to improve the air flow characteristic?

Jan-Dirk
i would think that the tune up for each cyl is going to different unless things are done to equalize the boost to both cyl`s and do something to at least minimize the load difference between the front and back cyl`s because or the 300-420 firing spread..i would love to have the time and money to work on this.. using pressure sensors do as much as you can to modify the plenum to equalize the boost to each cyl and possibly raise the compression in the back cyl(or lower the front) to equalize cyl pressures..of course that might not work, no way to know without trying it..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts