Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
V-ROD User
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone a diagram of the cables so that you can build them your self?
Also is the Data logger have to be inline for the PC to talk to the bike?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
V_CRUZ I got your pm and wanted to check and make sure that I had everything to build them before I responded to your post. It seems like I had a project using comm ports several years ago and purchased 100 9 pin comm port ends that would only require that you purchase 10 strand cable and then you could make them any length that you want. You would have to make them for the pc to the dongle, from the dongle to the bike you might have a tougher time making them.

Max

·
V-ROD User
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry Max, you always respond so fast I do not think the PM's were going through :eek:

When ever you find the info will be fine

Thanks

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
v_cruz I have to get the speedo pics done for danafwelch when I get home and those connectors should be in the same locker that I keep the cluster. I'll post then.

Max

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
FYI,
On Ebay I found a shop that will sell 9 pin (DB9) serial cables in 25, 50, and 100 feet for those of use that will start out with having to run them through the house. I don't have the name with me but just search db9 serial data cable in the computer section.

50ft = 12.99 BIN
100ft = 19.99 BIN

Thanks
Ken

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
If you have a solder iron and some basic wiring skills then you can build your own to any length you want but try not to go farther then you need as the signal probably starts to get weak around 100ft. I picked up 50 male and female ends and covers for about $22.00 so by the time you add 10 strand wire you could make them in bulk pretty cheap but I'm sure I could buy the single pieces and make a 100ft for about $4.

Attachments

·
V-ROD User
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I my already have the 9pin connecters, have to get the wire. The pinout for the cable if anyone has it would be nice. Want type of connecter is the one that goes to the bike.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
v_cruz I would not attempt the bike end, you have two seperate cables that come with the kit. The first is a normal db9 cable that is about 6 feet long that goes from the com port to the dongle, then you have another cable that goes from the dongle to the bike. I would only do the db9 cable to what ever length you want the leave the other cable as it is.

Max

1 - 8 of 8 Posts