Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Noel
4,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of NOT so Old Race suits at Vanson HQ Factory Showroom & Museum.

IMHO, Looking at these suits shows that judicious placement of fabric components are used. Note they are never used where there is the greatest potential for direct abrasion (IE. inside leg seam & arm seam). Under the oddest of conditions it's possible these location might be at risk, but more likely scenarios of untimely get'offs/losing control of the bike in motion will result in the racer on their belly, back or side. It's at these locations that an abrasion resistant or sacrificial skin such as leather is needed.

AHDRA rule book does not give detailed specifics on what is or is not acceptable, but I would not be surprised if they follow NHRA standards.

These are the requirements for Destroyer:
Protective Clothing: Full finger leather gloves with knuckle armor and palm reinforcement, one piece or full circumference zippered leather suit with knee, elbow and shoulder armor or reinforcement, spine/back protector and above the ankle leather boots with toe area reinforcement are required.
Which is not to say the Tech Official might have preferences, if he/she can convince a racer to comply with what he deems acceptable that's fine, solid regulations should be a foundation to enforce decisions to disqualify a competitor based on equipment, operational procedures and sportsmanship like behavior.

Looking at the NHRA Rule Book sections on
SECTION 4C
E.T. MOTORCYCLE
7.50 (*4.50) seconds & slower​

PROTECTIVE CLOTHINGFull all-leathers or SFI Spec 40.1/2 suit mandatory on motorcycles running 120 mph or faster. Two-piece suits must be joined together with a zipper at the waist. SFI Spec 40.1/1 or 40.1/2 suit or leather jacket, leather boots/shoes above the ankle, and leather gloves are mandatory on ALL motorcycles. Gloves must be Kevlar-lined or equipped with slide buttons. See General Regulations 10:10.

10:10 PROTECTIVE CLOTHING“Protective Clothing” includes suit (one-piece suit or jacket and pants); head sock; gloves; and boots or shoes. Driver must meet all Protective Clothing requirements stated under Class Requirements for vehicle being driven. SEE CLASS REQUIREMENTS.

SFI Standards, in specification 40, note the certified manufacturers for race suits such as AlphineStars, also have products with abrasion resistant fabrics in noncritical locations.

We know there are many other Race Suit Manufacturers out there, many who are making fully compliant suits. I'm confident that Vanson is producing suits that are safe, accepted and popular.

Helmets
HELMET
Full-face Snell M2000, M2005, M2010, K2005, SA2000, SA2005,
SA2010, SFI 31.2A, or 41.2A helmet mandatory; shield mandatory
(goggles prohibited). See General Regulations 10:7.

10:7 HELMET As outlined under Class Requirements, drivers in all classes, including motorcycles, must wear a helmet meeting Snell or SFI Specifications.
SFI Spec 31.1A = Snell SA, open-face helmet
SFI Spec 31.2A = Snell SA full-face helmet
SFI Spec 41.1A = Snell M, open-face helmet
SFI Spec 41.2A = Snell M full-face helmet
Full-face helmet mandatory on all cars 9.99 or quicker. See individual Class Requirements for additional requirements. Shield mandatory 7.49 and quicker. Drivers of NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series and E.T. cars (13.99 or quicker) must use a helmet meeting Snell SA2000, M2000, SA2005, M2005, SA2010, M2010, or SFI 31.1A, 31.2A, 31.1/2005, 41.1A, 41.2A, or 41.1/2005 Specs. Drivers in supercharged, front engine, open-bodied cars and Funny Cars must wear a helmet meeting Snell SA2000, SA2005, SA2010, or SFI 31.1A, 31.2A, or 31.1/2005 Specs. See Class Requirements.
NHRA Helmet Expiration Dates Section 20, page 41 General Regulations

Label Expires
Snell 2000 1/1/2012
Snell 2005 1/1/2017
Snell 2010 1/1/2022
SFI 31.1A 1/1/2014
SFI 31.2A 1/1/2014

Label Expires
SFI 41.1A 1/1/2014
SFI 41.2A 1/1/2014
SFI 31.1/2005 1/1/2017
SFI 41.1/2005 1/1/2017
SFI 24.1 (JDRL only) 1/1/2015
SFI 24.1/2005 1/1/2017
Structural modifications to helmet/shield are prohibited. Cutting of helmet or helmet shield prohibited. Helmet must remain as manufactured, except for paint scheme/graphics and permitted nonstructural driver modifications to helmet shield as set forth below.

Taping or similar modifications to the helmet shield made by the driver that reduce the driver’s field of vision, and are deemed safe by driver in the driver’s judgment, are permitted at this time so long as the driver can demonstrate to technical inspectors that the purpose of the modification is to reduce distraction in the driver’s field of vision. By using such a modification to the helmet shield, the driver acknowledges and agrees that the driver deems such modification safe in the driver’s judgment consistent with the driver’s obligations in Section 1, Participant Agreements and Administrative and Procedural Rules, set forth above, and that the modification does not impair or interfere with the safe operation of the driver’s vehicle. See General Regulations 7:8.

Attached are a few photos of a Top Fuel Suit that has the aforementioned POWERSTRECH™ option in the Jacket.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Off Topic, I hope Santa brings me my new suit.....Built to Nitro specs...

Now back to your regular scheduled broadcast...

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
Off Topic, I hope Santa brings me my new suit.....Built to Nitro specs...

Now back to your regular scheduled broadcast...
what size is yer old suit you run now?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts