Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the RACE FUELER today.... And let me just say WOW..... I had a slight flat spot between 3 and 4 thousand RPM'S ...Let just say BYE-BYE to the flat spot.... I went out and rode about 40 miles different speeds and stops ...cruseing and putting the HAMMER down.... RUNS PERFECT.......

If anyone else has installed the RACE FUELER and cannot get there settings right this is how I set mine and you can go from there with you bike

RPM RANGES
Low to Mid.....All the way counter clock wise then back ONE QUARTER TURN.
Mid to High.... All the way counter clock wise then back ONE HALF TURN

FUEL SETTINGS
LOW...All the way counter clock wise then back ONE QUARTER TURN
MID....All the way counter clock wise then back ONE HALF TURN
HIGH...All the way counter clock wise then back ONE QUARTER TURN

(AE) FUEL....All the way counter clock wise then back ONE HALF TURN

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Ricky G. said:
I installed the RACE FUELER today.... And let me just say WOW..... I had a slight flat spot between 3 and 4 thousand RPM'S ...Let just say BYE-BYE to the flat spot.... I went out and rode about 40 miles different speeds and stops ...cruseing and putting the HAMMER down.... RUNS PERFECT.......

If anyone else has installed the RACE FUELER and cannot get there settings right this is how I set mine and you can go from there with you bike

RPM RANGES
Low to Mid.....All the way counter clock wise then back ONE QUARTER TURN.
Mid to High.... All the way counter clock wise then back ONE HALF TURN

FUEL SETTINGS
LOW...All the way counter clock wise then back ONE QUARTER TURN
MID....All the way counter clock wise then back ONE HALF TURN
HIGH...All the way counter clock wise then back ONE QUARTER TURN

(AE) FUEL....All the way counter clock wise then back ONE HALF TURN
See Now Your The Expert!How was that Horn? :rolleyes: ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ricky G.

You are the man!!!!!! I just purchased the RF (haven't gotten it yet) and was looking for some help on some of the settings.

Are the pots continues turn or do they only rotate so far and you can't turn them anymore?

What is your setup ie... pipes, AF, ECM???

Where did end up installing the box?

Anything else I should look out for when installing and setting up?

My setup is Standard VMODS, SE AF, SE Stage 1 download.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Dipper

·
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Super Kaz said:
See Now Your The Expert!How was that Horn? :rolleyes: ;)
KAZ ..
the instructions are 30% usefull......The First step they tell you to do is take off your seat.... NUFF. SAID...

·
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dipper said:
Ricky G.

You are the man!!!!!! I just purchased the RF (haven't gotten it yet) and was looking for some help on some of the settings.

Are the pots continues turn or do they only rotate so far and you can't turn them anymore?

What is your setup ie... pipes, AF, ECM???

Where did end up installing the box?

Anything else I should look out for when installing and setting up?

My setup is Standard VMODS, SE AF, SE Stage 1 download.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Dipper

Check you PM.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
race fueler

I ended up putting my top back on,hated that sound.

With top on, K&N filter,self mod pipes, I ended up with fuel settings at 1/4 turn on all. Including the AE. Really runs good!!!!! QUICK

Was way too rich with Ricky's settings. But I think my bike was on the rich side to start with.
Eric R.

·
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
x1050 said:
I ended up putting my top back on,hated that sound.

With top on, K&N filter,self mod pipes, I ended up with fuel settings at 1/4 turn on all. Including the AE. Really runs good!!!!! QUICK

Was way too rich with Ricky's settings. But I think my bike was on the rich side to start with.
Eric R.
Did you have a flat spot at 3000-4000 before you installed the RACE FUELER ?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ricky G. said:
Did you have a flat spot at 3000-4000 before you installed the RACE FUELER ?
Nope............. I never did have a problem with that, just a lot of soot around the mufflers. Most of that went away when I opened up the pipes.
I got the race fueler because I was worried about being too lean with the K&N.

I'm glad I got it now. Between the race fueler,new air filter and 28 tooth sprocket, the V-Rod is ALMOST PERFECT for me now. Meets or beats everything I expected out of it!!!!!!

Eric

·
Registered
77 Posts
First... I'd like to thank Ricky for taking the time to take my call and explain everything. Much appreciated!!!! If you're ever in Philly or if I'm in Texas, we'll have to look each other up!!!

Anyway... after installing the RF... I only had about a 1/2 hour of daylight... So I took 'er out for a short spin (very short)... From what I can tell... much improved!!! Bike idles better and doesn't seem to stumble between 3K-4K or 5K when hard on the throttle.

I may have to fine tune it a bit though once I take 'er out for a while.

All settings are at about 1/4. My question though is for further smoothing out especially around 3K-5K (hard on the throttle)... should I increase the AE output a bit more, the Mid Fuel adjuster or the Mid-High RPM adjuster?

-Dipper

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
OK, I've been looking at the limited amount of information I have on the Race Fueler and I think I might have some settings for you all to try. Remember, this is only my best guess after reading the techlusion and HD information available to me. I don't have the HD RF (Race Fueler) manual so some of this may be off.

It looks like we are going to need to set the RPM crossover points at 2 locations vs. 1 for the standard TFI/DFO box so that will change many of the other settings. After we do that we'll go after some fuel settings.

We want to get our crossover RPMs set to 3000 and 6000 rpm. To accomplish this you're going to have to adjust the RF while you are holding a steady 2900 and 5900 RPM.

Follow these steps and report back what you see. I'll adjust these instructions once I get some more input.

I will be using the numbers on a clock as reference. 1:00 is all the way counter clockwise, 11:00 is all the way clockwise.

1. Connect the system and turn all trip pots counter clockwise to the 1:00 position
2. Turn the lower left (RPM-L) and lower middle (RPM-H) trim pots to the 11:00 position (full clockwise rotation)
2. Start the bike, the 2 left LEDs should be green, the right should be red (I'll need confirmation on this, I may have the colors backward)
3. run the RPM's up to 2900 and hold it there
4. turn the lower left trim pot counter clockwise slowly until the middle LED just turns red
5. back off to idle then slowly increase the RPMs. Note at what RPM the middle LED turns green, that should happen at 3000 RPM
6. run the RPM's up to 5900 and hold there
7. turn the lower middle trim pot counter clockwise slowly until the right LED just turns red.
8. Lower the RPM to idle
9. Run the bike up through the rpm range and observe the LEDs change from red to green as you cross over the 3000 and 6000 rpm range
10. Jot down the position settings and report back where they are. With those numbers we can determine the calibration of the trim pots and be able to dial up any RPM crossover without going through this procedure.

Now that we have that set we can adjust the fuel curve and Accelerator Enrichment. these will be different for bikes with the stock program vs. those who have the SE download. Here's my best guess at each.

Here's a reference for the trim pots
Low = top left
Med = top middle
High = top right
AE = lower right

For bikes with the stock EFI program (no downloads)
low = 3:00
med = 6:00
high = 6:00
AE = 4:00

For bikes with the SE download (it doesn't matter which one)
low = 2:00
med = 4:00
high = 2:00
AE = 2:00

If you guys with the RF's could try this and report back it would be a great baseline for future adjustments.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Retired!
583 Posts
SE double barrels with the baffle plug taken out, K&N filter. My settings are: low 15%, mid 20%, and high 20%. Accelerator pump at 0. Transitions at 4,000 and 6,500 rpm. Pulls hard and runs smooth.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
No, I'm not an HD tech but I'm a fairly decent engineer. Like I said, those are baselines (something to start with) based on what I've seen on a dyno with the straight SE downloads. The SE flashes are pretty close and I've typically only had to add 10% more fuel in the midrange to compensate for modified pipes.

The reason I suggest setting the crossovers lower than yours is because there is a flat spot around 4000 rpm that many people with modified pipes have reported and I've seen on the dyno. Getting the midrange fuel map involved BEFORE the stumble should help eliminate it. The area from 3000 - 6000 is where the bike needs more fuel after you modify the pipes but it doesn't need a whole lot more than the SE flash gives it.

Since this thing is so easy to adjust why don't you try my settings and report back. Since I'm only deriving these settings I could be way off and I'd be the first one to admit it.

Oh, another thing, as I understand it the techlusion box's low speed / idle setting also is what it uses for light throttle loads, i.e. cruising, so adding fuel in the midrange should only apply under load (accelerating or hard riding). The system should back off to the low speed setting when you cruise thus saving your fuel economy. The AE feature helps bridge the gap between the light load condition and the loaded fuel maps for the various rpms so that's why I added a little AE. The EFI system, especially with the SE downloads provides this feature too so don't get carried away with the AE setting. Too much fuel will hurt your performance.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well... finally had a chance to take the bike out for a long ride after installing the RF... Let me say WOW!!! What a difference! The bike runs as good if not better than when I first got it.

With my current setup... VMODS, SE AF, Stage1... I have set all the pots to a 1/4 turn.

Probably could use a little fine tune adjustment... but for the most part it is dialed in pretty well... I'm almost afraid to touch anything.

I also started riding a little different... now waiting to shift at at least 5K...

The bike just keeps pulling. Anyway, I highly recommend it to anyone on the fence about a PC or RT. If all you are looking for is to smooth out the flat spots... the RF does the trick...

BTW... the bike idles MUCH better and gas mileage seems to be a little better.

-Dipper

·
Registered
77 Posts
Couldn't really say for sure... My setup is different than yours. It's a good base point to start. I would see what the dyno does for you...

1 - 20 of 80 Posts