Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of running a higher octane fuel in the bike (110 Octane Race Fuel) I've got a stock 09 Muscle with VH comp. 2 into 1, K&N filter, topless, PC5 with Auto Tune. Just wanted to know what some of the experts thought on using this fuel in the bike and if it will have consequences for using it.

·
TURBONATOR
1,366 Posts
I'm not an expert but why do you think you need 110 octane on a stock bike? The consequences of using it will be $$ per gallon for more than likely alittle less power.

·
Registered
63 Posts
To get the octane that high normally requires lead like airplane avgas. Lead is bad for your bike. Zero increase in power. Zero increase in MPG. The higher octane is only an advantage if the engine can take advantage of it. Stock 09 will not.

Here is what it will do:

(1) lead foul your plugs
(2) create lead sludge in your crankcase
(3) slow down the flame front and give you less MPG
(4) ruin your O2 sensors

If your engine was turbocharged the higher octane would allow you to extract more power from the engine before detonation.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
vp has several fuels that can increase hp in pump gas motors, only problem they usually require remapping.. octane is just a measure of resistance to detonation.. it doesn`t mean it has more hp.. some of the highest hp fuels for pump gas motors have a fairly low octane rating..also lead will ruin o2 sensors in a short period of time.. there are several unleaded race fuels that can increase your hp but once again it would require a special map,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok new question on this topic:

I have an 04 VRSCB... stage 1 , V&H comp header HD race flash.. It has no o2 sensors and I think over the years before I bought this bike he ran these high octanes... like VP-100 and Shell 110. I'm not sure of its gains I imagine it made his gas card run hot Although, I wanted to know if these octanes were worth a (umph)now and then... or would it benefit my applications ??

fV

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
Save your money.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I'd say that unless you increased timing advance to take advantage of the higher octane it would be a severe waste of money. The gain if any might still be BS from a $ per hp perspective.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
the oxygenated fuels like u4.4 or ms109 (unleaded) will increase hp around 4 or 5 hp but only if the fuel delivery is increased.. i doudt that there are many race gases that will increase hp much in a stock motor without remapping for it.. as the others said it wouldn`t be worth the money, especially if you have to pay some body to remap the bike for the fuel..

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
the oxygenated fuels like u4.4 or ms109 (unleaded) will increase hp around 4 or 5 hp but only if the fuel delivery is increased.. i doudt that there are many race gases that will increase hp much in a stock motor without remapping for it.. as the others said it wouldn`t be worth the money, especially if you have to pay some body to remap the bike for the fuel..
:them:

But it does smell good....

·
Registered
2,103 Posts

you got that right ,, i love the smell of race gas in the morning,, going to the track and smelling the race gas and the burning rubber gets me off.. (race slicks burning rubber not street tires, they smell different)

·
RIP Jerry
956 Posts

you got that right ,, i love the smell of race gas in the morning,, going to the track and smelling the race gas and the burning rubber gets me off.. (race slicks burning rubber not street tires, they smell different)
:them: smells really gwad with maxima castor 927. Use to buy 5 gal maybe once a month but it was leaded and now i have 02 sensors.. :(

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
The tacky stuff they spray on the tracks smells like bubble gum.....

And you correct the there is a differance in smell of a street tire and a slick....

·
Registered
943 Posts
I put hi test only in Bike but in some cases as per my boat lower octain will run faster :broke:It all depends 2x454 carbs 85mph missle:notworth:I'd stay away from race fuel may cause more harm than good:stooge:

·
Registered
87 Posts
VP has so many different fuels for every applacation possable,modified and stock engines. most offer 4-6% increase in hp,or so they say..call VP in ur part of the country and get a paper that tells of what they got and what app its for..tried some (car)112 in my zx-10 and it wouldnt work above 7000 rpm..had to go to iron pony after looking at VP paper to buy what i needed by the 5gal..i luv the way it would shoot out flames out the muffler at night when i got off the throttle !..oh not all race gas smells good,the stuff we use on our car (big motor with 2 stages of nos) is yellow and will make u puke if u smell to much of it !

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I would doubt that on a dyno you would see anything more than a 1-2 horsepower gain by just adding race fuel. To take advantage of the benefits of the race gas you would have to retune it .... Good thing about the super tuner, is you could just have the map on your lap top...

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I would doubt that on a dyno you would see anything more than a 1-2 horsepower gain by just adding race fuel. To take advantage of the benefits of the race gas you would have to retune it .... Good thing about the super tuner, is you could just have the map on your lap top...
the best oxygenated fuels will make 5 or 6hp on the dyno but the fuel delivery has to be increased a bunch to see that gain and oxygentated fuels go bad fairly quickly.. if you leave it in your gas tank it doesn`t take long for it go bad.. oxygenated fuels should be keep in air tight steel cans..if you buy from a dealer out of a 55gal drum the last of the drum is not nearly as good as when the barrel was first opened..it is better to get it in sealed 5 gal cans..still a major hassle and expense for those 5hp...

·
Registered
87 Posts
the best oxygenated fuels will make 5 or 6hp on the dyno but the fuel delivery has to be increased a bunch to see that gain and oxygentated fuels go bad fairly quickly.. if you leave it in your gas tank it doesn`t take long for it go bad.. oxygenated fuels should be keep in air tight steel cans..if you buy from a dealer out of a 55gal drum the last of the drum is not nearly as good as when the barrel was first opened..it is better to get it in sealed 5 gal cans..still a major hassle and expense for those 5hp...
Retuning goes without sayin when u change anything,,im just sayin thats how there paper reads..now that i think about it, harley people spend a ton of money for non-power parts and to hear guys say save ur money sounds funny to me.. i called fuel moto bout the power com. 5 and havin the second tune just for race gas (a specific one) and he didnt seems to be real keen on the idea.i told him i dont want a mpg setting,i want hp and hp+-lol ..i didnt buy a v-rod to put around

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Super chip is supposed to be releasing a new tuner for Harleys this month.There is a feature to store an extra mapp that can be changed on the fly with the flip of a switch.This would be a good thing if you did decide to use 2 different fuels.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I know people that drain the tank after every race to save the fuel in a bladder can.
I always hated buying race fuel from places that store it in a big open tank.It's almost always stale.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts