Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a call from the front desk today saying that a back hoe just happened to back into my bike. No big problems, just bent forks, headlight broken off, tin dented, left grip, switches and clutch resevior is broke. Along with where the shovel hit on the rear. Hopefully insurance works quick. The bike will go to the stealer in the morning for the estimate. Too busy to do the work myself.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I got a call from the front desk today saying that a back hoe just happened to back into my bike. No big problems, just bent forks, headlight broken off, tin dented, left grip, switches and clutch resevior is broke. Along with where the shovel hit on the rear. Hopefully insurance works quick. The bike will go to the stealer in the morning for the estimate. Too busy to do the work myself.
Sorry to hear about your bad luck . . . and right befor the weekend! :-(
Looks like you have an '07?
I'd be interested to know how long it takes for you to get your parts from HD.
Keep us informed on your repair progress

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I'm in Germany, so not only how quick, but what specs. European or US.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Getting a fault when I try to load the pics to this thread. loaded them into my gallery if you want to look.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yea, I'm in Germany, so not only how quick, but what specs. European or US.
I don't know what all is different from Euro and US spec bike, but you can determine what spec your bike is by looking at the first digit of the VIN. If it is a 1, you have a US spec bike. If it's a 5, it's a Euro/Canada spec bike.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm stationed here in germany and when I retire next year, to get my bike to TUV, German vehicle inspection, standards I need to change out all my lens, disconnect my front marker lights, and change the speedo. By the, any one have a KPH speedo out there?

·
NSFW
1,984 Posts

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
From what can tell, painted parts take forever, anything else is a lot more reasonable. My bike got dinged on 5/25, last I knew it was still waiting on tins.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brought the bike to the dealer today. I should have the estimate by Friday. Then it's just getting the MPs to do their police report in a timely manner. Last year the Provost Marshall sat on a hit and run, parking lot bumper scatch on my car, for 3 weeks before he signed it.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Wow, that sucks.

On the good side, I guess the back hoe operator can't say it was your fault.

Not sure if they will replace the forks of just the sliders. They should go with the full assemblies since the inside rods could be bent.

I assume it was hard knocked over, and not run over.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It didn't fall, the blde caught it when he backed up and then the bucket helped drag it forward. You can see on the ground how the jiffy stand slide back and forth.

·
Registered
21 Posts
From what can tell, painted parts take forever, anything else is a lot more reasonable. My bike got dinged on 5/25, last I knew it was still waiting on tins.
I've also been waiting for a rear fender since 5/28. They told me 6-8 weeks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The bikes is going to be scrapped. Frame was bent at the triple tree and Harley said 12,000 Euro to get it fixed. Adjuster said no way, and now the wait on the lawyer and the insurance company.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Good that they discovered the bent frame, but bad that it is totaled.

Best of luck in getting the correct value for it.

Can you repair a salvage bike in Germany? If so, and you want a project; it may be worth adjusting the settlement to keep the bike. But, it is a lot of work and if you can't do most of it yourself, it could cost too much.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The bikes is going to be scrapped. Frame was bent at the triple tree and Harley said 12,000 Euro to get it fixed. Adjuster said no way, and now the wait on the lawyer and the insurance company.

That sucks!
The '07 R is a pretty rare bird and I have hardly ever seen one for sale. But for some reason, there are 3 on ebay for sale right now. one with less than 700 miles on them (see links below)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-HARLEY-DAVIDSON-STREET-ROD-VRSCR-STREETROD-/120604964440?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item1c149db658

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-HARLEY-DAVIDSON-STREET-ROD-/160464140540?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item255c6878fc

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-Harley-Davidson-VRSC-Street-Rod-/250677578271?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item3a5d8c4a1f

I don't know about shipping costs or what alterations would be required to get them registered in Germany, but it's got to be alot less hassle than fixing your damaged bike.
Good luck dude and I hope you're up on 2 wheels again soon!

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
Can you get the totaled bike back? You could make a couple bucks parting it out on e-bay or on here. R parts are rare and would make a lot of folks happy. Not much of a up side to your troubles but might make you feel a little better to have the $ to put toward your next bike. Hope it gets resolved quickly for you.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Harley, at least a private person there at the dealer, is going to buy what's reamining of the bike and put the engine in a new frame, an "A" I think.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts