Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
So I am new to the vrod just bought a used 04 this summer, the bike has a KN air filter on it and I was wondering if I can run the bike topless with out any other adjustments. Trust me I have searched the forums for hours and the question has been asked before I know. However it has never seem to be fully answered or when it has the person has had the vmod done to their pipes which I dont my pipes are stock. I do have a PCIII for the bike but wont be installing it untill next spring when I get pipes for it..so basically can I run my bike topless with a KN airfilter and everything else stock.??

-Thank You

·
Registered
600 Posts
It is my understanding that you can go topless without a fueler however if you add a high flow filter you will need to add the PCIII. Personally I would add the PCIII before I made any other changes due to the extremely lean factory tune. Your bike will run slightly cooler and you may even get a little better gas milage.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I would go ahead and install the PCIII it only take about 15 minutes to install and then you can tune away until your hearts content. These bikes need a tune in stock for IMHO as they are way to lean from the factory.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
i agree with the advice above,, at low throttle settings hd runs the bike very lean to pass emissions testing. adding airflow without adding fuel will make it even leaner. as said above adding a little fuel will cool the motor and can even increase fuel mileage.. hd tech told me that the low restriction air filter leans the tune more than slipon mufflers do..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys...The only problem is that when I bought the bike used it already had the powercommander on it, so I can easily plug it back into the bike but I think my mechanic took the map off of it..so even if I pluged it back into the bike I dont know how to tune it or put a map on it...any insight would be great, Thanks.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Powercommander web site has base maps for your bike. go there and look. Also Powercommander section here has lots of maps people have posted.

Take a look and I'm sure you will find what you need.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts