Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:notworth: Im taking my new wheels to a local shop around my area (good reputation) to have them swap out the wheels. The techs arent to familiar with the v, they pulled a set of wheels of one v but that was it. Im putting on the 10 spokes black in place of the original solids. It looks pretty simple just take off the old wheels swap out the rotars and thats it. But my question is, the new wheels have the bearings packed already, and then there are only what appears to be threaded holes where they mount......am I missing something or is that it? Wish I could attatch pictures but Im at work....thanks everyone.

Also the stealership who quoted me around 325 to swap them, said I wold need to replace the rotar bolts????? Is this true?

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
Also the stealership who quoted me around 325 to swap them, said I wold need to replace the rotar bolts????? Is this true?
Yes

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Harley Recommends changing the rotor bolts.

·
Go IRISH!
727 Posts
rjrivero said:
Harley Recommends changing the rotor bolts.
and not so they can make more money off you!

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Well, the way I understand it, when these bolts are torqued, they stretch. Therefore, retorque of these bolts isn't reccommended. Not to mention that these things help dissipate the heat from the rotors. The new ones have the Waxy locktite stuff on them too.

RJ

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are these the 70 dollar kits on the hd website? Thats insane for bolts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i just talked to the same stealer who first said I HAD to replace them, and now they said if the wheels were never off before then they should be fine, just to make sure to put loctite on them

·
Registered
298 Posts
I just recently did the same swap myself (see pics in gallery). My dealer quoted me $165 to remove the old wheels, install disks on new wheels, mount new tires on new rims and install. I've spent about that much on tools but the next time I need tires it won't cost near as much. I read a thread on here about the rotor bolts that says you don't need to change them, so I didn't, I used the ones off of my new wheels that had about 600 miles on them. I say get a service manual and some tools and do it yourself. I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may run into should you choose to go this route.

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
dvrod18 said:
I just recently did the same swap myself (see pics in gallery). My dealer quoted me $165 to remove the old wheels, install disks on new wheels, mount new tires on new rims and install. I've spent about that much on tools but the next time I need tires it won't cost near as much. I read a thread on here about the rotor bolts that says you don't need to change them, so I didn't, I used the ones off of my new wheels that had about 600 miles on them. I say get a service manual and some tools and do it yourself. I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may run into should you choose to go this route.

Yea...what you read on the forum is always better than what the company that spent millions on R&D says...:chair:

2 things you should NEVER shortcut on. Riding gear and brakes. C'mon dude...this is like putting a plug in your flat tire....people do it, but what if? Is it worth the risk?

Harley makes money of us by requiring a 100 dollar chrome baseplate so you can add a sissy bar or luggage rack. Things that most Jap bikes come with. Chrome covers for 80 dollars, chrome bolt covers for 50 dollars. They do not recomend that you use new bolts on your rotors just to make more money off you...if they did...they would be chrome! :soapbox:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts