Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
2006 VRSCD
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is probably a better place for this but I own a D and I guess I want to know how others take care of their D's.

How do you wash your bikes?
Hand or Car Wash?
Do you dry it off or drip dry?
How do you keep your rims looking so nice and shiny?
What products do you use and what products should you stay away from?
Feel free to add any other comments to upkeep that might be helpful for maintaining the D!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I wash my bike in the driveway with a small car wash brush and ivory soap. To dry, I break out the ole leaf blower and make sure I get all the nooks and crannies dry before giving the tins another once over with a towel. To keep the rims shiny and polished, I hit them with some mothers polish on their power ball, and it works like a charm!

·
OLD FART
1,639 Posts
I chromed everything because aluminum sucks to keep polished.I use windex with no amonia and wipe it off and go riding.

·
Carbon Yeti
4,598 Posts
I use the Mr Clean system and a fitered shop vac to blow dry. If you use a leafblower, use an electric one. You don't want to blow two-stroke oil all over your bike.
Mothers aluminum polish on the unpainted part of the wheels. Turtle Wax and Windex where appropriate.

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
To date, my bike has never been wet. Washing it with the crap that comes out of the hose around here would ruin the paint and chrome.
I just wipe of the dust and use spray detailer, the chrome gets mothers.

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
To date, my bike has never been wet. Washing it with the crap that comes out of the hose around here would ruin the paint and chrome.
I just wipe of the dust and use spray detailer, the chrome gets mothers.
Try the Mr Clean system the filter does wonders and doesn't spot. :2cents:

·
Insane inda membrane
13,002 Posts
You can wash a bike?

·
Dean
775 Posts
S100

I use S100 Total Cycle Cleaner to start with...and finish with an assortment of polishing products (one for chrome, one for aluminum and one for paint).

·
2006 VRSCD
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Carbon Yeti
4,598 Posts
Does anyone actually KNOW anybody that ran a bike through a car wash?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Handwash. I use Eagle One Nanowash and Nanowax. The spray wax is quick and easy, good on paint, chrome and aluminum. The wheels are a bit of a pain to clean, I use Mother's Aluminum polish on the powerball. Microfibre towels work well.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I wash my bike in the driveway with a small car wash brush and ivory soap. To dry, I break out the ole leaf blower and make sure I get all the nooks and crannies dry before giving the tins another once over with a towel. To keep the rims shiny and polished, I hit them with some mothers polish on their power ball, and it works like a charm!
Is it best to use the PowerBall to apply the polish or to take it off? I'm going to buy one tonight, but it almost seems like you need two of them to clean the wheels. Any advise for a novice?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use a powerball to put on the polish and then a microfiber towel to take it off after a good once over with the ball.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I use a powerball to put on the polish and then a microfiber towel to take it off after a good once over with the ball.
Do you use the same ball to apply it and do the once over? If so, do you clean the ball in between? Mine is pretty dirty (black) after the application.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts