Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Not Dead Yet
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My V has started a small oil leak. I notice less than a teaspoon amount of oil in a puddle on the floor after the bike has sat for the night. It seems to be coming from where the 3 black coated wires go into the big alternator cover, on the left side of the bike. If it sits for a few hours after a ride, there is no puddled oil, so it must take a while for the oil to drip out.
As I get into this, any advice on what I should be looking for and what to do?
Thanks.
(I hope those of you who went enjoyed the rally.)

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I'm not sure about the 05 CVO but on the earlier models the stator was replaced to cure this.Some people didn't have luck with the new part and were sealing it with silcone gasket maker or sanding the mating surfaces.You might find the posts about this if you search around.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Not Dead Yet
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ElrodontheV-Rod said:
I'm not sure about the 05 CVO but on the earlier models the stator was replaced to cure this.Some people didn't have luck with the new part and were sealing it with silcone gasket maker or sanding the mating surfaces.You might find the posts about this if you search around.

Elrod on the V-Rod
Interesting. I have 35000 miles on it. Why would it start now if it is a matter of the sufaces mating?

·
Not Dead Yet
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ElrodontheV-Rod said:

Elrod on the V-Rod
If it's that, is the leak:
- "simple" (as in: easy) to fix, by replacing the stator?
- are there "tricks" to know it the repair?
- is it serious/fatal to let it be?
- does it get worse?

Proceeding to "the Search" now...

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Don't know,I think it was from the chrome.
My 03 leaked and it was replaced w the new and improved stator and it has been sealed for a long time.
Search around the forums,this was discussed in length for some time.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Not Dead Yet
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ElrodontheV-Rod said:
Don't know,I think it was from the chrome.
My 03 leaked and it was replaced w the new and improved stator and it has been sealed for a long time.
Search around the forums,this was discussed in length for some time.

Elrod on the V-Rod
Thanks!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Mine leaked from one of the bolts holding the cover on and it would run down onto the wires and looked like it was leaking there. I replaced the cover gasket and been good to go for yrs . now with no leaks.

·
Not Dead Yet
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rbnky said:
Mine leaked from one of the bolts holding the cover on and it would run down onto the wires and looked like it was leaking there. I replaced the cover gasket and been good to go for yrs . now with no leaks.
I'll watch for it.
Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having the problem too and plan on trying the repairs I've seen posted. My question is: Will the cover come off without having to pull the alternator too. The manual mentions a special tool (go figure) to pull the alternator out the same time.

·
Registered
543 Posts
My '03 didn't require any special tools. But there is a strong magnetic pull to the cover , so watch your fingers when it goes back on.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Mine is in for the second time to get the oil leak from the alternator wiring fixed. Hope this time it works. It doesn't do it all the time however.

·
Don't think, ride.
752 Posts
rbnky said:
My '03 didn't require any special tools. But there is a strong magnetic pull to the cover , so watch your fingers when it goes back on.

No the alternator does not come off too, just the cover. The special tool just makes it easier to grab the cover. Otherwise you are trying to pry it off with your oily fingers and the magnet resists. Also, cut off the bolt heads of some old bolts and use them as a guide when putting it back on instead of the dowels they describe. It will help hold the gasket in place...watch your fingers the magnet will pull the cover back on quickly. You will lose about a quart of oil if you take the alt cover off so you might want to do an oil change at the same time.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Something I have found is that oil leaks right up the stator wires inside the insulation itself. I have seen a couple now that have oil in the weather pack seal for the stator plug well away from the engine but the weather pack plug keeps it from leaking. I have been trying to think of a way to correct this issue, it might be that cutting and sealing the wires inside the engine before they exit could correct this, maybe with some sort of heat sealer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts