Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, currently I have what appears to be Samson Streetsweepers, that even with a couple of baffles screwed in (not a good fit though), are loud enough to be annoying on a longer ride.

I was able to get a good stock muffler/center section and will be looking for the header pipes and shields soon.

As much as I like the billet endcaps, I don't think I'll like to stock sound of the VROD.

Should I:

1. Vmod the mufflers?
2. Drill the muffler ends?
3. Vmod the mufflers (with baffles)?

Just wondering how loud the above are compared to something like the Streetsweepers.

Thanks!

Steve

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
v-modding the muffler isn't very loud but sound good a lower speeds and RPM. sound better than stock but not too loud at 70mph

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the standard VMOD and not the updated one with baffles, correct?

Thx!

·
Non-stop-rider
889 Posts
v-modding the muffler isn't very loud but sound good a lower speeds and RPM. sound better than stock but not too loud at 70mph

I disagree, I set off car alarms with my standard vmodded pipes. I wish I could say I've heard them with the VMod baffle, I'd be very interested. When I rode from RI to TN (9 days total), I put my stock pipes back on because just a few hours leaves me with ringing ears.

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
i used a hole saw and cut the inner baffle out it wasn't just an empty muffler, the pipes came off the 06 D when i replaced them with the mufflers from a DX. my hearing a little impared but i didn't think they were loud. if you set off car alarms i guess they were louder than i thought still nothing compared to the CFR, but i didn't think it was as loud as others did..........................maybe i'm just deaf.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
The car alarm thing is a Big Misunderstanding, I have Well Seasoned vmods, 75,000 miles on them and yes I will set off the occassional car alarm, After MArket CAr alarm that is, I start my bike uo all the time NExt to my SUV, with its FActory installed Alarm system, Never have I set it off, nor my neighbors etc... Now Shit little cars I pass that have garbage alarms? Yes I set them off, as do trash trucks and everything else.
Vmodding means removing 1 baffle from each muffler, not a Gutting of the pipes, They are low sounding pipes and the best I ever heard on a Revo powered bike.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'll have to hear a set of modded stock pipes before I ever touch my stockers. After living through the noise hell of the bub jug huggers that came on my bike, I much prefer the sewing machine sound of stock. I would like a little more rumble, but am afraid of falling into that annoying catagory when out on the highway.

·
Been there done that
1,527 Posts
which muffler,

My v rod came with street sweepers and they were as loud as hell. I tried putting baffles in myself an totally screwed up the performance. I had to take it to the dealer and get it straight, and dyno with a new down load. The mechanic took out the baffles and replaced them with less restrictive used ones. The v rod ran perfect when I bought it. Now it runs great again. still too loud. I just bought a set of CFRs because I triked it out and had to cut off the ends of the samson street sweepers because of the axle in the way. I even tried a OEM set of mufflers out. too quite so i drilled them out still too quite sounded like a boat motor, then I v mod the mufflers sounded like crap. IMOP the best sound is when they are the loudest. will never sound like its air head brothers. The YOU TUBE videos would have saved me $$$$ and work but its all about trial and error. and fun...I love setting off car alarms . curley

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
The car alarm thing is a Big Misunderstanding, I have Well Seasoned vmods, 75,000 miles on them and yes I will set off the occassional car alarm, After MArket CAr alarm that is, I start my bike uo all the time NExt to my SUV, with its FActory installed Alarm system, Never have I set it off, nor my neighbors etc... Now Shit little cars I pass that have garbage alarms? Yes I set them off, as do trash trucks and everything else.
Vmodding means removing 1 baffle from each muffler, not a Gutting of the pipes, They are low sounding pipes and the best I ever heard on a Revo powered bike.
:them:

Best thing to do is get the set that is floating around the country for testing.Search the exhaust section to find out who has them and give them a try.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Did the Vmod on my 08D this weekend and pulled out inner baffles..... Sounds much louder than the embarrassing stock muffs with a deep, beefy sound. I do ride with earplugs all the time and a helmet and I think this is the best sounding exhaust for the Vrods....... Love it and the price was right... FREE!!! TBF

·
Been there done that
1,527 Posts
Yea!! I did not take everything out of the inner muffler. I just drilled 1/2 inch holes all around and I hammered a pointed rod all the way through from one end to the other. So I have to admit I have a semi-Vmod or whatever. Then I went back to what came with the v rod when I bought it at the dealer. Samson street sweepers straight, then I put the baffler in , the whole story is in another thread. I have a set of CFRs on the way coming any day. I like loud but not deafening . curley , by the way your videos sound great

1 - 13 of 13 Posts