Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I purchased my VRSCDX this spring. I had to drive to a Montana dealership to get it... 'cause every dealer here in Canada laughed when I asked if they had one. Anyway, the 15 hour drive :driving: there and back was well worth it!

So I have been reading the forums for a bit and now have a couple of questions:

1. I read that some people don't like the shock on the DX. Why? Too stiff? I haven't had another bike worthy to compare it to, to judge the shocks.

2. I am having the SuperTrapp exhaust installed and a K&N filter put in. The shop is then going to "reflash" the computer at a Harley dealership. Is this the same as reprogramming? And if it is, why then get a PowerCommander?

·
Banned
4,397 Posts
The flash is needed to increase or decrease fuel as needed, get yourself a set of progressives 440 shocks to see what we are all raving about, yea the ride gets that better..

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Don't know about the shock on the DX, but on the D I found the shocks did not have enough dampening.

If the dealer flashes your ECM (changes the fuel/timing map), then you will not need a PC or other fueler. Thing is, that each time you change anything in your setup, you are then left at the mercy of your dealer to tune your bike. With a PC or other fueler, you can change the maps and tweak the tune yourself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I know what the purpose of a flash is...I just want to know how it differs from other reprogramming techniques...or if it does. And if I am to spend money on shocks, I want to know what improves (i.e. how the feel changes).

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
EdmontonVRSCDX said:
Yeah, I know what the purpose of a flash is...I just want to know how it differs from other reprogramming techniques...or if it does. And if I am to spend money on shocks, I want to know what improves (i.e. how the feel changes).
A PCIII or other fueler 'piggybacks' on the stock ECM. It takes the signal from the ECM and modifies it to add (or in some cases, subtract) fuel under different throttle/rpm combos. The fueler does not alter the stock ECM map. The dealer has the ability to remap the ECM - you can also do it yourself with a HD SERT (Screaming Eagle Race Tuner) and a computer. The SERT 'marries' your ECM (can't share SERTS between bike) and is used to actually change the ECM map.

Shocks. I also have the Prog 440s. Ever drive a high-end sports car? The suspension is stiff, but responsive - the car feel 'planted' - it doesn't bounce around and even over a rough surface, it settles back down very quickly. You feel very much in control. Like that.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
EdmontonVRSCDX said:
...and also, can't you change the ride feel with the spanner wrench?
Yes. Changes the preload (stiffness) but not the dampening.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
EdmontonVRSCDX said:
I sure appreciate the info! So which progressives 440 shocks should I get?
Not necessarily saying you should... :) There are other shock options - look around search the site, browse aftermarket sites... and see if someone with a DX can chime in. The DX has shorter shocks than my D - you ride lower. I LIKE my stock height - more interested in cornering and handling than a 'slammed' look - but all that is a personal preference. My advice? Don't buy 440s until you can name at least three other options. That's the beauty of this site and the internet - research info at your fingertips.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts