Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at the exhaust options for the muscle on the forum, youtube and in person. I have read everyones opinions about our limited options. I have heard the V&H 2-1 in person and was blown away.

I was on the V-Mod site the other day and was reading some of the FAQs about the mod and had a few questions. I sent a message to Choppersteve as well as the main contact link on their site and haven't heard anything back. Maybe someone here has the answers...

1. I understand the mod makes the pipes 1 inch shorter... can they make it shorter than that? Something shorter than the V&H slip-ons and longer than the V&H 2-1.

2. During the MOD a new end cap is installed, what is removed from the pipe? What is put back in?

If someone could shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated... hoping to do something soon.

·
Registered
363 Posts
They put a new end cap in that is threaded so the turned out tips can be re-installed using the same screws. But this new end cap is screwed in place so there are visible screws outside the mufflers. This surprised me a bit as I thought they would be welded. They aren't that noticeable but if your really picky you may not like them. I didn't measure them but they don't seem shorter to me. I would check and attach pics but my bike is in DC and I am in MI for the next 10 days.

I really like the sound and think it is at a moderate level. About the same level as the DC bike cops ride so I shouldn't get any write ups. I can always tell when a DC bike rides past the house...nice sound. I need to see what mufflers they run.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
?

I was hoping to have a few more responses than this... I have not been able to get anything back from V-Mod at all.

No Regrets... Thanks for filling in part of the blanks. I has noticed on one of the pics they had screws. I don't think it would be too much of an issue as long as its done right.

I saw on one of the previous post where a member used a hole saw to gut the pipes on his "F". I might have missed the part where he re-assymbled the exhaust. I was looking at the other models mod and it appears that the mesh baffle and fiberglass stayed in the pipe and they just removed the inner baffle.

Can someone shed some light on this?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I think I'm going with V-Mod after much research and hearing many pipes (of the few options we have). I did not know they screwed the end back on and am suprised about that (figured the price should be less since it is not nicely welded). The mod is a bit expensive IMO for what they do, and note, shipping is not included in the price. They would get more business if the price was a bit more reasonable. A mod to stock pipes should not cost the same as new pipes. Period. :chainsaw:

If you are looking for a shorter stock v-moded pipe you may have a problem with remapping unless you have it Dynoed or get a tuner with autotune (another $600 to $900 option). The only reason I wanted v-mod is maintaining the stock look and moderate sound. If you are looking for performance, V&H 2 in 1 Indy, but that thing is loud! The TABs are nice, but still have some DBs to them. I just have a problem with the state and passing inspections. :bash:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Here is a pic of the screws I found on my hard drive. 1st pic I've put on the site so I hope it works.

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks for the pic, are there two different types of screws? Allen, phillips, torx?

·
Registered
363 Posts
No they are all a pan head allen type screws. The lighting of the pic made them look different but they are the same.

·
Registered
329 Posts
No they are all a pan head allen type screws. The lighting of the pic made them look different but they are the same.
Thank you for the pics!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Screws aren't bad... Does anyone know what part or parts of the pipe is removed? Looked at other v-mods and more was done than replace the end cap.

I also looked at drilling holes in the end. Am I right to assume that the end cap needs to be drilled as well?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Screws aren't bad... Does anyone know what part or parts of the pipe is removed? Looked at other v-mods and more was done than replace the end cap.

I also looked at drilling holes in the end. Am I right to assume that the end cap needs to be drilled as well?
You may see this on other posts, you can lose power when modifing the pipes by adding more airflow if it is not done correctly. I have not seen a post that shows an exact procedure and what happens to the power curve. This is not my area, but I understand a certain amount of backpressure is needed, what that is or how to measure it is the question.

I made the decision and ordered the V&H Competition pipes (slip-ons). Should be here Monday. I will repost with my opinion since I did not want anything too loud. I also figured I could add the baffel they sell. I also ordered the Thundermax unit. I will not be able to install either until the end of the month since I'm traveling (unfortunately not on my bike). But good luck with your decision. It's not easy (I know) :blahblah:

·
Not just a name
3 Posts
You may see this on other posts, you can lose power when modifing the pipes by adding more airflow if it is not done correctly. I have not seen a post that shows an exact procedure and what happens to the power curve. This is not my area, but I understand a certain amount of backpressure is needed, what that is or how to measure it is the question.

I made the decision and ordered the V&H Competition pipes (slip-ons). Should be here Monday. I will repost with my opinion since I did not want anything too loud. I also figured I could add the baffel they sell. I also ordered the Thundermax unit. I will not be able to install either until the end of the month since I'm traveling (unfortunately not on my bike). But good luck with your decision. It's not easy (I know) :blahblah:

Any update? I don't want really loud pipes either, so I'm curious what you thought.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Any update? I don't want really loud pipes either, so I'm curious what you thought.
Update: The V&H Slip-ons with the equipped baffels are loud (for me). I take longer trips (five hours a shot) and "when I lay me down to sleep" I could still hear the drone from the pipes. I now wear ear plugs, which I should have done many years ago because of wind noise). The sound great though. Watching the vids in youtube don't really get you there. Even with the plugs my G4 from Scala Rider (comm system) works great and I can still hear it. I will stick with these pipes. I still beleive the V-Mod is too expensive for what they do. Let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Not just a name
3 Posts
Update: The V&H Slip-ons with the equipped baffels are loud (for me). I take longer trips (five hours a shot) and "when I lay me down to sleep" I could still hear the drone from the pipes. I now wear ear plugs, which I should have done many years ago because of wind noise). The sound great though. Watching the vids in youtube don't really get you there. Even with the plugs my G4 from Scala Rider (comm system) works great and I can still hear it. I will stick with these pipes. I still beleive the V-Mod is too expensive for what they do. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for getting back to me. I'll look for something quieter.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Not sure there is a different option. The TABS sound good also but also have DBs. If you are ever in the DE, Eastern PA, Baltimore area, let me know so you can hear them. I recorded video but like I said, you can appreciate the volume.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts