Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 nightrod and am I am seriously considering turbo kit.
I have many questIons regarding this and would like to talk to someone who has personally installed one and is knowledgeable about the technical side of it. Please contact me at 512-970-2432 Robert
Between 10am to 2pm.

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
I have an 08 nightrod and am I am seriously considering turbo kit.
I have many questIons regarding this and would like to talk to someone who has personally installed one and is knowledgeable about the technical side of it. Please contact me at 512-970-2432 Robert
Between 10am to 2pm.
What kit are you talking about? Trask or another turbo kit?

·
brett
9,338 Posts
robvbob ,u might get more of a response from the guys here, if u took the time to say hello and introduce yourself ,before u hop right in and ask favours ,,just saying :spank:

and for whats its worth ,u would get even more replies if u post it in the section directly under this one , specifically for turbos and the like

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
watch the videos...link in my sig.

then post up...i'll try an answer any ? you have.

I'm sure others will help as well.

More knowledge here then anywhere else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RSC,
Thanks for your response. Some questions I had are more about responsiveness, best kit out there, can you run a power commander instead of a tuner, sound of exhaust running through the turbo, for a street add on is a turbo best, or nitrous, or supercharger. I love the quarter mile. Thinking about the trask performance kit, with the power commander 3, and having it dyne at Harley dealer. Thoughts...... I would highly value any opinions you would have. Thanks again. Robert

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
RSC,
Thanks for your response. Some questions I had are more about responsiveness, best kit out there, can you run a power commander instead of a tuner, sound of exhaust running through the turbo, for a street add on is a turbo best, or nitrous, or supercharger. I love the quarter mile. Thinking about the trask performance kit, with the power commander 3, and having it dyne at Harley dealer. Thoughts...... I would highly value any opinions you would have. Thanks again. Robert
Guess your up RSC :)... I'll wait until you've given him answers and see if there's anything I can add to the mix :)... I will say to the OP, if your looking at 1/4 mile racing, then a blower is the better unit, the power band is more linier with a blower vs a turbo... If you just want good fun, smoke some sport bikes out there, then the turbo will do just fine :)... They both cost bout the same however, I can save you some bucks on the Trask turbo if you decide to go that way...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Rob depending on what your plans are with the bike I can tell you that our system is bolt on with no internal mods and is reliable because the turbo is not in full boost all the time versus a supercharged system. Also if your worried about cost the kit comes with instructions for the garage builder enthusiast and all you'd have to do is have it tuned on the dyno with your choice EFI system.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
Rob depending on what your plans are with the bike I can tell you that our system is bolt on with no internal mods and is reliable because the turbo is not in full boost all the time versus a supercharged system. Also if your worried about cost the kit comes with instructions for the garage builder enthusiast and all you'd have to do is have it tuned on the dyno with your choice EFI system.
And is this a new trask account? I could swear you guys already had an account.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
Robert,

You can run the turbo with the PC I did. Nothing wrong with using it.

No matter what you use for the tuner it still will need to be dynoed.

All maps are just base maps. Some maps on the forum have been tweaked to meet the bikes demands and the rider satisfaction.

We can not talk you into one or the other. You will have to make that call.

I really think you should do some more research to make sure what you want!!!

If it is the turbo then we can help you out all you need.

Have you watched the videos? These will help you when you talk about the turbo so you can get and understanding of what it is and how it works and why it works that way.

You are the rider and should know how to work on your own bike is my teaching.

I will teach you all I can and so will others.

Have you talked to Lane?

As far as the trask turbo, it is one kit that is out there for the v-rod. really nice set up.
As far as the front pulley goes you will have to make up your mind on what kind of riding you want to do.

26T smoking the wheels and rolling burn outs.
28T hole shots and burn outs You can drag with it to.
30T best for highway and drags Keep the rpms up and it still will smoke the tire.

Keep in mind if you want to play you will pay sooner or later...LOL
We can help you out not to have this happen but when you get the fever there is no stopping you.

As for the blower or nos you will have to have someone else talk to you.

Either way you go there is going to be a learning curve for you.

Just be careful not to chase the HP numbers. This is where you really start to spend money.

Like I said, before you go and spend all that money, see if you can get a 26T front pulley and try it out and see if it gives the kick in the pants you are looking for.

200.00 is cheaper thean 5000.00

Maybe someone has one you can try out.

Good Luck call anytime

rod

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Robert,

You can run the turbo with the PC I did. Nothing wrong with using it.

No matter what you use for the tuner it still will need to be dynoed.

All maps are just base maps. Some maps on the forum have been tweaked to meet the bikes demands and the rider satisfaction.

We can not talk you into one or the other. You will have to make that call.

I really think you should do some more research to make sure what you want!!!

If it is the turbo then we can help you out all you need.

Have you watched the videos? These will help you when you talk about the turbo so you can get and understanding of what it is and how it works and why it works that way.

You are the rider and should know how to work on your own bike is my teaching.

I will teach you all I can and so will others.

Have you talked to Lane?

As far as the trask turbo, it is one kit that is out there for the v-rod. really nice set up.
As far as the front pulley goes you will have to make up your mind on what kind of riding you want to do.

26T smoking the wheels and rolling burn outs.
28T hole shots and burn outs You can drag with it to.
30T best for highway and drags Keep the rpms up and it still will smoke the tire.

Keep in mind if you want to play you will pay sooner or later...LOL
We can help you out not to have this happen but when you get the fever there is no stopping you.

As for the blower or nos you will have to have someone else talk to you.

Either way you go there is going to be a learning curve for you.

Just be careful not to chase the HP numbers. This is where you really start to spend money.

Like I said, before you go and spend all that money, see if you can get a 26T front pulley and try it out and see if it gives the kick in the pants you are looking for.

200.00 is cheaper thean 5000.00

Maybe someone has one you can try out.

Good Luck call anytime

rod
Good advice for you Robert, can't add anything to what RSC has suggested to you... If you decide to go the blower route, then I can help there... But remember, a blower is more linier in it's power curve and is always in the boost and is more suited for "professional" competitive racing but it can also be used for the casual "boost" junkie like me :)...

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Just to be clear Blower = Supercharger
LOL yeah I forgot to clarify, thanks... Robert, turbo's suck and blowers blow :) Both are forced induction systems but the turbo is run off the motor's exhaust to turn the turbine/compressor where as the blower is ran directly off the motor and only has a compressor...

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
Regarding maps... there are maps that come with the Trask system, and they are pretty good. I would be cautious about assuming that your local dealer can dyno tune a turbocharged (or supercharged) bike.

I've run the base map with the Trask for a couple of years... it's a little rich, but that's ok. I'm sure it could be tuned to squeak out some more power, but I'm not hurting for any more right now.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
Regarding maps... there are maps that come with the Trask system, and they are pretty good. I would be cautious about assuming that your local dealer can dyno tune a turbocharged (or supercharged) bike.

I've run the base map with the Trask for a couple of years... it's a little rich, but that's ok. I'm sure it could be tuned to squeak out some more power, but I'm not hurting for any more right now.
:them:

Kurt's bike runs pretty darn good too.

I just like to bounce off the rev limiter...right Kurt.

I ran the stock map in my SERT...no problems.

RnT racing did the first tune with the PC.

I think Trask is pushing the T-Max with the turbo.

His choice...

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,151 Posts
I run the map from trask also. I like that it is a bit rich. I did do some minor adjustments like on the rev limit and the idle. I think the bike runs very well.

·
Back in Black
2,578 Posts
I ran a power commander on a trask for a little while. Good thing about trask he has done all the work for you. All you need is a weekend and a few tools and you can bolt it on. It's not as overwhelming as it seems. Great system. Exhaust sound! Now here is where I may different. People seen my short pipe and say man that must be one loud bike. To be honest I missed true exhaust sound when i had the turbo. I run a rhinehart 2 to 1 with custom baffle and stage II cams and love the sound and would not trade that for nothing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts