Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hopefully getting my exhaust in the next week and I have already got my programmer installed waiting to be tuned for it. Next on my list is lowering my bike an inch. Everyone runs the progressive shocks on their bike but is there any reason no one runs the HD 1" lowering shocks?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/...4309149270&bmUID=1182968604261&bmLocale=en_US

Low-Profile Shock Kit

Plant your feet firmly on the ground. This reduced length version of the Original Equipment rear suspension lowers the seat height by approximately 1". Shocks feature chrome-plated springs and body caps, and suspension preload is adjustable for rider and passenger load.

54528-05

Fits '02-'06 VRSCA, VRSCB and VRSCD models.

MSRP US $239.95

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Because the shock portion of the HD is no better than the stock unit which is to say, it sucks! The 412 Progressives are better and the 440's are light years better. You also have options with Works, Ohlin's, Penski and others where the valving is better and/or it's completely rebuildable.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mjw930 said:
Because the shock portion of the HD is no better than the stock unit which is to say, it sucks! The 412 Progressives are better and the 440's are light years better. You also have options with Works, Ohlin's, Penski and others where the valving is better and/or it's completely rebuildable.
I have a friend with the ohlins and it is phenominal! However they are outrageously expensive. I know you get what you pay for but within reason I am looking for a most bang for your buck method.

I havent found any info about the works shocks prices or anything.

·
Banned
4,397 Posts
Go with the 440's you WONT be dissapointed, but if you really want all chrome your will need the 440cc and these babies are around $500... HD shocks are garbage..

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ergoguy34 said:
Go with the 440's you WONT be dissapointed, but if you really want all chrome your will need the 440cc and these babies are around $500... HD shocks are garbage..
only $500

the cheapest I have found the regular 440's is 540+/-

where can I get these from?

·
Banned
4,397 Posts
VenomousSVT said:
only $500

the cheapest I have found the regular 440's is 540+/-

where can I get these from?
www.wallyscycleworld.com when I got mine 440 were $378 and the upgrade to the all chrome ones were another $130ish.. Talk to wally and ask him for his sale pricing on them, heck tell them you want the deal he gace Joel St Pierre

·
Sua Sponte
1,560 Posts
I have the HD lowering shocks and I have no complaints. Anything is better than stock IMHO.

·
Banned
4,397 Posts
metallica0099 said:
I have the HD lowering shocks and I have no complaints. Anything is better than stock IMHO.
Actually Im not trying to be a dick but yours are stock, just a bit shorter, you cant imagine the difference until you spend some time in the saddle with some high end shocks its night and day difference...

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Banned
4,397 Posts
No problem just paypal me the difference..:angeldev:

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ergoguy34 said:
No problem just paypal me the difference..:angeldev:
I'll get right on top of that for ya!!! :chair:

LOL

·
Chief
1,272 Posts
You won't regret putting on the 440's. I have them in the 12" version on my A and I love them. There is a considerable difference in the ride comfort. I adjust them to 4 turns when I ride solo and turn them to 5 turns with a passenger. If you really want to drop the bike down, also put in a set of front lowering springs from progressive with HD Srcreaming Eagle Oil. Good Luck you made the right choice.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
258C1 said:
You won't regret putting on the 440's. I have them in the 12" version on my A and I love them. There is a considerable difference in the ride comfort. I adjust them to 4 turns when I ride solo and turn them to 5 turns with a passenger. If you really want to drop the bike down, also put in a set of front lowering springs from progressive with HD Srcreaming Eagle Oil. Good Luck you made the right choice.
argghhh!! I jsut noticed the ones on wally's site are the 12.5" versions.... I want to run the 12" shocks to get the full effect. I am gonna probably go ahead and do the racetech front springs with the cartridge emulators to get alot better handling front end.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
anyone tried skullmans shocks?...not the ones he cuts for 69 bucks but his shocks which can be ordered in 11.75,which is what i would want...are they anygood?...anybody have experience with them?..$199 shipped seems like nice price.

Our Custom Made Heavy Duty
Shocks for Harley V-Rods.
Available with Chrome or Black Springs.
Black Shown.

Please specify chrome or black springs.

Harley V Rod
Part # vrod3333 ----------------------- $199.00 pr.
Available with black or chrome springs.
Available lengths: 10.5" to 11.75".
Price includes ground UPS shipping.

Here is the link:
http://www.skullmanonline.com/custom-shocks.html

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
from what I have gathered you get what you pay for

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
NOS-DAN said:
anyone tried skullmans shocks?...not the ones he cuts for 69 bucks but his shocks which can be ordered in 11.75,which is what i would want...are they anygood?...anybody have experience with them?..$199 shipped seems like nice price.

Our Custom Made Heavy Duty
Shocks for Harley V-Rods.
Available with Chrome or Black Springs.
Black Shown.

Please specify chrome or black springs.

Harley V Rod
Part # vrod3333 ----------------------- $199.00 pr.
Available with black or chrome springs.
Available lengths: 10.5" to 11.75".
Price includes ground UPS shipping.

Here is the link:
http://www.skullmanonline.com/custom-shocks.html
He just cuts and re-welds the shafts and springs on stock shocks. You will see no improvement in ride quality, just a lower stance.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Works does not answer to e-mails, Performance does not have the shocks and I am still looking for good rear shocks for the R. Is there anybody with an idea. Thanks
Hendrik

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
after reading several threads on here about shocks...It seems the progressive 440s are most popular with members....however for someone like myself who is trying to keep cost down,I think i will go with the 412s....many members here also seem to like the 412s much above the stock shocks,maybe not as good as the 440s but much cheaper,found them on ebay in 12 inch for $191....not bad!

just another bit of info....since I will be adding a 260 and also going to a 07D leaner rear fender on the new AW.....and I do OCCASIONALLY ride with passenger,I will be ordering the Heavy Duty Springs with my 12" 412s....

as most have said here,anything other then H-D stock shocks are a huge improvement!.

this site rocks!
Dan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts