Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to save some money and replace the warped front rotors on my R myself. Got the wheel off with no problem, though I cheated and used a large adjustable wrench to loosen the front axle nut because I had no sockets or wrenches that large.:hidesbeh:

Some questions:
*Is the front axle nut 36mm like the rear axle nut? I need to go and buy a socket.

*Anyone know the rotors part numbers so I can order replacements online?

*The pads have lots of remaining wear. Is it necessary to replace them too?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
I got my dealership to replace mine for free - I bitched and moaned for months.
JUst use the cresent - a socket that large needs a 3/4 or 1" drive.
I am not at home, so no parts manual. Replace the pads - they are why your rotor warped! We had to use a torch to get the bolts free. apply heat, they come right out! Joe

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I bought a whole set of 3/4" drive sockets from Northern Tool for not too much money

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
With the $$$ that HD charges for OEM Replacements, I'll bet you can find an alternative from a company that focuses solely/mainly on brakes. If they warped the first time around, why put the same ones back on?

·
Premium Member
11,352 Posts
I use a 1/2" drive to remove/install my axle bolts. No problem.

Just a hint to make things easier. Those rotor bolts do not come off easily. Put the wheel back on the bike and crack the seal on the rotor bolts before removing the wheel. It makes it a lot easier. This will keep the wheel stable and you can use both hands to break the seal on the rotor bolts. One hand to make sure your wrench does not slip off and strip the bolt and the other to turn the wrench.

Since you have the axle nut off take it to your local tool place and fit a socket to it. 1/2" drive works just fine. Crescent wrenches will slip and slide and round off your nuts since they have only two contact points instead of the 6 for a socket.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I use a 1/2" drive to remove/install my axle bolts. No problem.

I have used 3/8 drive on some,but I have a selection of around 8 or 9 3/8ths guns for different jobs.I got this one that has a pin that's pulled and the drive can be changed between 3/8ths and 1/2 inch.
I couldn't imagine using a 3/4 or 1 inch drive big bulky socket and handle on a motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
11,352 Posts
I have used 3/8 drive on some,but I have a selection of around 8 or 9 3/8ths guns for different jobs.I got this one that has a pin that's pulled and the drive can be changed between 3/8ths and 1/2 inch.
I couldn't imagine using a 3/4 or 1 inch drive big bulky socket and handle on a motorcycle.
BFFI guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts