Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Pat's Fan
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the same set up as Mark, VMod SE slip on's, 28T, air cleaner, but i do not have the RT yet (in on the group buy) Im currently running topless but havnent done any map re-flash to compensate for topless. I do have the flash for the SE pipes. Should I not ride my bike this way? I went topless last fall but due to the winter i really havent ridden it all that much topless. Its supposed to be in the upper 40's this weekend and im going riding (finally!!) Any suggestions??

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
CW-VRod I think there can be little doubt that your running lean with your current setup.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
That would be the safe route CW-VRod. I am pretty sure the RT has a flash specific for the setup we have while running topless.

Max

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
Here is something the service manager at the dealer told me today....
I just put the D&D slip ons, and wanted to know about doing the SE filter and reflash. He told me that with those pipes, and even if I get the filter, I would not need the flash! I asked him several times, and the answer was the same. soooooo, I wonder what the A/F ratios would be like that?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Greg I would want that in writing from him before I trusted that statement. There is no way that running more open pipes and filter wouldn't need a change in the map from the stock flash.

Max

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
That is what I was thinking. Just does not make any sense does it. He did give me agood deal on the flash... $55, but he is not doing a hard sell, so it has me really confused. Good thing I have you all to fall back on.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Greg now I might be wrong and one of the HD guys can feel free to jump in but It was my understanding that each flash was registered, meaning that you would have to buy the $150.00 dollar cartrige and then have them flash it to the bike for you and that the unit that they do the flash with reports in every now and then to verify that all the flashes are legit.

Rick or Hawgdoc feel free to jump in here and tell me how this really works since I got that story from a person that was taking my money.

Max

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
I agree John, I wont do the filter until I get this sorted out. If they want 150+55 labor for the flash, then I will do the PC3 or something like that. I figure Max is right about the flash's being registered... sounds like the MoCo. But I did specifically ask him the price todo the flash+filter.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Everything they said is 100% on the mark. If you change the exhaust and/or air filter you need to reflash the computer or put on some sort of fuel adder. I personally would run as far and as fast as possible from that dealer, they obviously know little to nothing about EFI bikes and the V-Rod's setup.

Since the flash is for a specific parts combination that you don't have then I suggest you look for alternatives. Bang for the buck it's hard to beat the Techlusion box. Especially if you're not concerned about absolute peak HP numbers but more concerned about simply compensating for the modifications. At <$200 without needing any dyno time (they provide setup procedures to get you in the ballpark) it's the best solution to even out the fuel curve. Add a few simple dyno passes (with a working exhaust gas analyser) and you can really dial the bike in (ask Kaz).

If I wasn't so anal as to want every last ounce of tweak I would have done the Techlusion and been a happy camper.

·
Pat's Fan
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ketsugo said:
I would also put the stock air filter back on.

John
John,

Why put the stock air filter back on? When i had the SE slip-ons put on and the filter they did the flash for that. That was two summers ago and no problems. I had read about going topless could cause a lean condition. (not sure if you knew i had the original SE flash done)

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
CW-VRod said:
John,

Why put the stock air filter back on? When i had the SE slip-ons put on and the filter they did the flash for that. That was two summers ago and no problems. I had read about going topless could cause a lean condition. (not sure if you knew i had the original SE flash done)
Oh, I didn't know you had the SE flash. Knowing that, run topless if you want with the K&N. You won't be dangerously lean, if at all:)

John

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
BTW, my comments were aimed at Greg, not CW ;)

CW, the flash you have isn't compensated for topless but it shouldn't cause you too many problems since that original flash was on the rich side anyway. A quick dyno pass should be able to tell you id you have any trouble spots.

Mark

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
Too bad its the only dealer within a 4 hour drive. The only thing I dont like about the TFI is that you have to splice into the wiring. Might end up with the PC3 off of ebay. The dealer told me the that the FI system on the Vrod is a different type from, say, a Heritage, and that it compensates for changes. Weird, i thought they wer both Delphi ;) I know those guys dont know how to use the dyno, and its the only one in town. S*#$s living on the edge of hell

1 - 17 of 17 Posts