Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to remove the Harley Davidson emblems off of the airbox cover of a 2006 VRSCD Night Rod? They are starting to look pretty rough and I'd like to just pull them off. Looks like they are just held on by adhesive but I am afraid I wont be able to remove the residue without ruining the paint. Has any one done this? How and what did you use?

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
I have an air box with these on it, the foam tape holding the logo on has survived sand blasting! Logo was easy, foam, still trying to get that crap off! Maybe some GooGone but I would test is on the paint in a hidden spot first! Any body guys got a recommendation.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that's how I was thinking it would be like haha. They have survived rain storms and 22k miles so I didn't think it would be easy. But I was hoping. It wouldn't be that bad but I have the blue paint job so taking them off and leaving the foam tape would look awful.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I've used lighter fluid to remove the adhesive without harming the paint. And for the emblem, I used a hair dryer to heat it up.....then it pulls off.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Heat up the emblem and then use fishing wire to break the seal between the airbox and the adhesive.

-Keith

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heat up the emblem and then use fishing wire to break the seal between the airbox and the adhesive.

-Keith
getting the emblem off is the easy part. I just want to know of a safe easy way to get the damn foam tape off the airbox cover haha.

·
Registered
206 Posts
It may sound ridiculous, but aerosol furniture polish is good at getting off the glue from sticky labels, packing tape, etc - spray it on, leave for a few minutes to soak in, and then wipe off - but remember to use a shop rag !

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
getting the emblem off is the easy part. I just want to know of a safe easy way to get the damn foam tape off the airbox cover haha.
If you heat it enough and use the wire as a kind of saw it will get most of the adhesive off. When you just pull the emblem off it will leave the foam on the box usually.

-Keith

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
I've used lighter fluid to remove the adhesive without harming the paint. And for the emblem, I used a hair dryer to heat it up.....then it pulls off.
Yes! I used the same method. Use clean towels or microfiber cloth. Goo Gone works pretty good, too. Joe

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
3m makes an "adhesive and wax" remover. I have used it when I removed all of the "Badges" from an S-10 Pick-up, that I use to own.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
WD-40

Soak
Rub with fingertips.
Do it again.
Do it again.
Do it till it's gone.

Rinse with soap and water.

Gone!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Being a painter I've taken off more stickers, decals and emblems than I can count. Getting the sticky residue off is never easy. I've never come across any product that works great. Most of them mentioned above work it just takes a lot of time if you don't want to damage the paint. One other thing to take into consideration, becareful prying off those little letters. When you lift up on one side the other side can start to dig into the paint and cause a scratch.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, So I took the jump and went for it yesterday. I tried WD40 lighter fluid and Goo gone. and honestly I settled for windex. It worked better than all the others. and Abi you are very right on one side I did scratch the paint in a little spot removing them :-(. But another warning I MUST add. This contributed to how I got the scratch. When you remove these, WEAR GLOVES!! I cut the crap out of my thumb pulling on it!! Not bad enough to require medical attention since I was pulling slowly. But if I would have just ripped the things off I might not of been typing this morning! They are sharp!!

But like I said. Windex worked the fastest and had the least amount of residue left over and took the least amount of scrubbing force. But it was the stuff with vinegar added to help with smells around the house so that might have been what helped. But thanks for all of your input everyone!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts